Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Streak... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=78558)

Archive 10-02-2005 04:58 AM

Streak...

Posted By: <b>RP60</b><p>I think Jimmy Rollins has a great shot at 44..In this day and age with the crappy pitching, why not? Get hot and who knows how far you can go..Personally I think Joe D's streak will be broken some day...

Archive 10-02-2005 05:50 AM

Streak...

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>We were talking about it last night and I believe that major league baseball does not recognize hitting streaks that are carried over to next season. So unfortunately he will simply run out of season.

Archive 10-02-2005 07:20 AM

Streak...

Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>Barry: I did not know that. Doesn't Hubbell have a two year record for most consecutive wins (or something like that). If pitching is ok, why not hitting?<br /><br />I know, you are the messenger, not the rule maker. But it does not seem right.

Archive 10-02-2005 07:59 AM

Streak...

Posted By: <b>john/z28jd</b><p>According to official baseball rules a guy can have a recognized hit streak over 2 years but he wont break Dimaggio's single season record which will still be intact.So even if Rollins hits in 60 straight technically he will have the hit streak record but DiMaggio will still have the single season record and probably both will be recognized.There wont be any asterisks argument if it should come up because this has been a rule for awhile.<br /><br />Rollins is almost as good a choice as anyone to have a long hit streak.He bats leadoff,he has great speed,some power,and he doesnt walk alot or strikeout alot

Archive 10-03-2005 07:03 PM

Streak...

Posted By: <b>Damian Anderson</b><p>I think it might be tougher to put together a long streak over two seasons if the season ended mid stread. Say 30 games or so. 50 game streak and 7 game next season not so tough.<br /><br />Damian

Archive 10-03-2005 07:34 PM

Streak...

Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...Rollins won't get anywhere near DiMaggio.

Archive 10-03-2005 07:50 PM

Streak...

Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>The mental pressure to achieve such a fete is enormous.<br />DiMaggio was able to achieve it in Major League play be-<br />cause he was well aware of what it takes. You see, he had<br />been there before. With the San Francisco Seals he ran a<br />66 game hitting streak just before he came up to the Big<br />Leagues.<br /><br />No, I think DiMaggio's 56 - game hitting streak will be<br />a record that will not be broken for a long, long time.

Archive 10-03-2005 08:11 PM

Streak...

Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>I believe Dimaggio's minor league streak was 61 games.

Archive 10-03-2005 08:18 PM

Streak...

Posted By: <b>cmoking</b><p>His streak right now is 36 games. He needs 20 more to tie Dimaggio.<br /><br />Assumptions:<br />he's a true .310 hitter<br />He gets on average 4.5 at bats a game<br /><br />the probability of him getting to 56 (20 more games) is 1.5%<br /><br />the true odds are probably even lower because of all the pressure he'll be on from the media and himself.

Archive 10-03-2005 08:42 PM

Streak...

Posted By: <b>identify7</b><p>And what was the chance of Maris hitting 61?

Archive 10-04-2005 04:49 AM

Streak...

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>You know people forget that Maris still holds the AL record for HRs in a season. In my earlier post I mentioned that Rollins's streak could not be carried into next season, but I believe it does count. But who is to say he will be in the same groove in six months. It will be a whole new set of circumstances. And yes, Hubbell won his games over two seasons, and that has always been considered the record.

Archive 10-04-2005 07:47 AM

Streak...

Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>It's just too easy to come on here and state positively that something won't happen when the odds are incredibly in favor of you being right...doesn't make you clairvoyant.<br /><br />BTW - if you haven't read "Baseball in 41" by Robert Creamer, you need to. I was convinced after reading this book that 1941 was the best baseball season ever, and I wasn't even born yet - it really brings the DiMaggio streak and Williams' quest for .400 back to life, and also all the other things that were going on in '41 (war starting, life in general).