Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sold Prices on B/S/T (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=170194)

ccre 06-07-2013 06:43 PM

Sold Prices on B/S/T

Relatively new to this board. Forgive me if this question has already been posted and if there is a thread for this but why do sellers remove the price of an item when it is sold. I would think it would be good info for everyone to know what these items sold for or at least what a seller was asking for an item when it sold. Thanks! Dave

JollyElm 06-07-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccre (Post 1143109)
Relatively new to this board. Forgive me if this question has already been posted and if there is a thread for this but why do sellers remove the price of an item when it is sold. I would think it would be good info for everyone to know what these items sold for or at least what a seller was asking for an item when it sold. Thanks! Dave

Nobody actually knows the reason and it drives every normal person crazy seeing that BS!!

jimivintage 06-07-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccre (Post 1143109)

Yeah, it's been covered before, but no big deal. New people on here all the time. Generally speaking, if I sell something for less than what I originally wanted for it, I don't want others to know. Lots of reasons why, but that's the beauty of Net54....it's not ebay. :)

Sean1125 06-07-2013 06:47 PM

I'm one of them. Sorry :(

atx840 06-07-2013 06:53 PM

If the buyer asks to have it removed I do.

jimivintage 06-07-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 1143113)

Yeah, I just figure the final price is between the seller and the buyer. It's great reference for those not involved...but I think those that are in the transaction would rather not share.

Gmrson 06-07-2013 07:08 PM

Although I understand and respect a seller's right to take the prices down, as a Tigers collector looking to add some pre-war Tigers to my collection, I really like to educate myself with the prices on the stuff I missed out on! (is it me or do Tigers sell well on here??)

egbeachley 06-07-2013 07:09 PM

Some years ago a card was listed "at a discount" to Net54 members as a nice gesture. Sold for $2,000 or so. Card immediately went on Ebay and sold for $3,500 or so. Then the buyer bragged about how great he was for making the quick profit and referenced the original BST lot. Sale prices are now deleted to not look like you were taken advantage of.

I really don't remember the amounts. They may have been $150 and $300 for all I know. But the circumstances were something like this.

caramelcard 06-07-2013 07:19 PM

I think a majority take em down.

In fact, I always have to ask how much I owe again because the seller takes the price down before I pay.

No big deal either way.

Rob

Jacklitsch 06-07-2013 07:26 PM

I always leave the original asking price up even though I may have sold at a discount.

You make a profit off me that's ok. I sold the item for a price that was fair to me.

hangman62 06-07-2013 07:32 PM

buy sell

I also feel its somewhat of a private agreement between buyer and seller, its very similar to when I guy who wears a toupee goes to the hair weave guy..thats really between them

Matthew80 06-07-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 1143113)

+1

aaron 06-07-2013 07:51 PM

People dont generally like talking about how much money they have or how much they spent on it. I think it is because people draw assumptions if you made 150k last year, and same goes with baseball cards. Its extremely hard to rationalize spending 5 figures on a card for the average man, and collector as well, yet we do regardlesss.

To an extent vintage baseball cards are a better investment than precious metals, I dont think people should be so timid about prices and values.

bobbyw8469 06-07-2013 08:24 PM

I take my prices down as a courtesy to buyers. If someone really wants to know though, just ask....if I can remember, I will give you a rough idea of the range it fell into.

Bicem 06-07-2013 08:25 PM

I change the price to 2-3 times what I really sold it for, and then I congratulate myself for being such a great salesman.

RedlegsFan 06-08-2013 01:15 AM

I agree with most members here, final sale prices are buyer/seller business. Plus, sometimes people combine selling and trading, so that dollar amount would not properly reflect a true sale. Also, sometimes particular players or issues are hot, (for whatever reason) and command fast sales with premium prices. On the other hand, a premium price may be aquired, but just takes longer if that player or issue isn't poppin that week or month.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Matthew H 06-08-2013 02:07 AM

I remove it every time. Everybody wants to pay less than the last guy, that's why I remove it. Everything would perpetually lose value of we didn't... It's modern card collectingat its finest.

tonyo 06-08-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew H (Post 1143248)
Everybody wants to pay less than the last guy, that's why I remove it.

I remove any sale price only because most everyone else does it. Matt's reason makes alot of sense to me. I've often wondered what would happen to the price of cards if there were no price guides or price tracking services.

murcerfan 06-08-2013 06:38 AM

I've often wondered what would happen to the price of cards if there were no price guides or price tracking services.

prices would go up... like they used to in the good old days... before VCP and google.

brookdodger55 06-08-2013 06:59 AM

I would like to see them stay, but that's the choice of the seller, I could always call up the (NSA National Security Agency and Verizon) to have them look it up for me. True but just a joke:D:D:D
Mike

ullmandds 06-08-2013 08:05 AM

I remove the prices...always have...always will...tough noogies!

brewing 06-08-2013 08:10 AM

Now if I could only get gas stations to function the same way.

Bestdj777 06-08-2013 08:11 AM

I've only sold one thing on the BST trade but removed the price as a courtesy to the buyer in case he wanted to flip something in the lot on eBay or the BST. I was selling several items in a lot and sold them below book to move them quickly. I don't mind if someone turns around and makes money off of one of my deals, and having the price available publicly hurts his ability to do so.

Jlighter 06-08-2013 09:58 AM

I don't see why there is this stigma attached to leaving prices. People don't have to know who bought what, and most people post their new cards in the pick-up thread anyway. So no privacy issue.

Housing sales are public records, I don't see why this should be any different, at least price wise.

novakjr 06-08-2013 11:01 AM

If you're trying to judge realistic value based on what things are sold for in the b/s/t, you are out of your mind.

Yes, many items sell in the b/s/t for somewhat realistic prices. But what I've noticed quite often, is that items are offered up for much less than realistic value on this board, simply because,(more often than not) the item is going to another "collector" on the board, who will actually appreciate the card, rather than just a flipper..

As a prime example, there was a beautiful OC(possibly miscut) Seaver rookie that went for CRAZY low. I won't say how low though, but CRAZY might even be an understatement(the fact that it's still on the top of my mind 2 years later, should give you an idea of how memorably low it was)... There's absolutely ZERO reason to have that information floating around out there for people to attempt to use as a reference.. That's not a normal sale, it's practically a gift..

Instances like that are the reason, that I have ZERO problem with the sold prices being removed.. Because what goes on here, is not always normal, in terms of buying and selling..