Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How do you open a PSA graded Holder? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180375)

carbonrosa 12-18-2013 09:44 AM

How do you open a PSA graded Holder?

Hi, I have a couple of graded ticket stubs that I've purchased on ebay. I want to have them framed in a collage to hang on my wall. So question.. How do you open a PSA graded plastic holder without braking it or more importantly opening the plastic older with out damaging the ticket?

bnorth 12-18-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbonrosa (Post 1218264)
Hi, I have a couple of graded ticket stubs that I've purchased on ebay. I want to have them framed in a collage to hang on my wall. So question.. How do you open a PSA graded plastic holder without braking it or more importantly opening the plastic older with out damaging the ticket?

Freezer, brass hammer, and large sharp knife wait you just want to release the imprisoned tickets. LOL

Just take a good knife and put it in the seam at the top of the holder and hit the back of the knife blade with a hammer and it will break the welded seam. Then pry the 2 pieces of plastic apart and rescue the tickets.

Beatles Guy 12-18-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1218293)
Freezer, brass hammer, and large sharp knife wait you just want to release the imprisoned tickets. LOL

Just take a good knife and put it in the seam at the top of the holder and hit the back of the knife blade with a hammer and it will break the welded seam. Then pry the 2 pieces of plastic apart and rescue the tickets.

What he said. PSA cases are easy to crack. Instead of a knife I use a small screwdriver or else I'd probably cut my fingers off :)

Robextend 12-18-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatles Guy (Post 1218311)
What he said. PSA cases are easy to crack. Instead of a knife I use a small screwdriver or else I'd probably cut my fingers off :)

+1...on both accounts LOL

ALR-bishop 12-18-2013 02:22 PM

Freeing Up captured cards

I use a bolt cutter...really. Never had a card damaged. Takes 5 seconds.

cubsfan-budman 12-18-2013 03:04 PM

i take a hammer and gently tap all around the edges, cracking the plastic. if you go all the way around, the 2 sides will just come apart. as far as i can tell, there is no chance of harming the slab contents with this method.

brookdodger55 12-22-2013 08:02 AM

I just cracked out 5 cards and 6 exhibits PSA and SCG. Take either needle nose plyers or regular plyers and snap off top right or left corner. Then slide a small
Screwdriver along the edge. Pretty easy. When snipping off corner, do it quick
and fast. Let us know how it works out.

Mike

Zach Wheat 12-23-2013 10:42 AM

Chop Saw

I use my chop saw (i.e. miter saw) to slice through all holders. I've liberated 20+ cards with no issues at all - even with the tough Beckett holders.

Might seem like overkill but it works!

Z Wheat

doug.goodman 12-30-2013 01:47 AM

I've used a kitchen knife on hundreds of cards, and a hammer and screw driver on a few of the more complicated ones (like 1956 Topps pins).

But I love the vision that I have in my head of Al with bolt cutters. He has a crazed grin, tossled hair, and there's blood that probably isn't his...

darkhorse9 12-30-2013 02:17 PM

Fold a washcloth over the card (top and bottom). Firmly tap a hammer along the top edge. Take a flathead screwdriver and slide it between the layers of plastic at the tag area and lift up. The case will pop apart.

Although I free ALL my cards from holders I do keep the tags with them to show the previous grading.

jimjim 11-24-2016 06:02 AM

Has anybody cracked open a PSA case containing a HOF plaque postcard? I don't see a seam around the edge. Thanks for the help and Happy Thanksgiving!

EldoEsq 11-24-2016 07:31 AM

I use a dremel with a cut-wheel...very easy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

hysell 11-25-2016 07:27 AM

HOW great!

Love these postings, glad I'm not the only person,cutting graded cards free!I"v use most of these,but use the bolt cutters the most?But some collects would think we are nuts?But if something is wild,set it free!Great job guys, keep it up!Rob,:D

Harliduck 11-26-2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1218349)
I use a bolt cutter...really. Never had a card damaged. Takes 5 seconds.

That's funny...exactly what I do. Bolt cut the top, slip in screwdriver and spread it apart. 100% success, takes a second. PSA by far the easiest. I save the tags too, I have a nice pile.

scottbdoug 03-03-2017 03:30 PM

just watch this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN86mNVuFr8