Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Most HOF'ers On One Roster.... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=91185)

Archive 10-28-2008 10:13 AM

Most HOF'ers On One Roster....

Posted By: <b>andy</b><p>I just posted a phantom S.F. Giants pennant on the Memoribilia pickup thread and actually just realized there are 6 Hall of Famers listed on it, including Warren Spahn in his final season.<br /><br />I'm wondering what roster may have had the most HOF'ers on it at one time - Yankees? Dodgers? It seems like 6 is quite a few. <br /><br />Just curious - Thanks!

Archive 10-28-2008 10:30 AM

Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>Gehrig<br /><br />Dickey<br /><br />DiMaggio<br /><br />Lazzeri<br /><br />Rolfe<br /><br />Ruffing<br /><br />Gomez<br /><br /><br /><br />TED Z<br /><br />

Archive 10-28-2008 10:30 AM

Posted By: <b>Phil</b><p>Don't know if this is the best, but the 1931 New York Yankees, if you include the manager Joe McCarthy, they had 10 HOFs on that team:<br /><br />Dickey<br />Gehrig<br />Lazzeri<br />Sewell<br />Ruth<br />Combs<br />Ruffing<br />Gomez<br />Pennock<br />Mgr. Joe McCarthy<br /><br />Pretty impressive. Basically all position players except SS & OF.

Archive 10-28-2008 10:38 AM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>I think 1932 Yankees had ten, but I'm too lazy to list them all.

Archive 10-28-2008 10:39 AM

Posted By: <b>CoreyRS.hanus</b><p>This is a really interesting topic.<br /><br />If you include the manager, the 1894 Baltimore Orioles had seven: Brouthers, Hanlon (Mgr.), Keller, Kelley, Jennings, McGraw and Robinson.<br /><br /><br><br>

Archive 10-28-2008 10:40 AM

Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>The '27 Athletics had 7 also if I recall, but 10 is going to be tough to beat...<br /><br />

Archive 10-28-2008 10:42 AM

Posted By: <b>andy</b><p>Wow, that was fast, I guess 6 is nice but not as high on the list as I may have thought.

Archive 10-28-2008 10:55 AM

Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>I am correcting my 1st post with the 1929 Yankees...... <br /><br />Ruth<br /><br />Gehrig<br /><br />Dickey<br /><br />DiMaggio<br /><br />Durocher<br /><br />Lazzeri<br /><br />Ruffing<br /><br />Gomez<br /><br />Hoyt<br /><br />Pennock<br /><br />Miller Huggins, Mgr.<br /><br /><br />TED Z<br /><br />

Archive 10-28-2008 10:56 AM

Posted By: <b>Richard S. Simon</b><p>Not the same sport but the 1973 Knicks have their entire starting lineup in the HOF and they had their #1 bench guy (Jerry Lucas) and coach in the HOF, so that makes 7 for a basketball team.<br />Bradley, Debusschere, Reed, Monroe, Frazier, Holzman.<br />==<br /><br />I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.<br />Unknown author <br />--<br />We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.<br />No retreat baby, no surrender.<br />The Boss

Archive 10-28-2008 10:58 AM

Posted By: <b>David Atkatz</b><p>Joe McCarthy did not manage the 1929 Yankees, Ted. Muller Huggins did, until the end of September, when he entered the hospital, and his coach Art Fletcher took over. After Huggins died, Fletcher turned down the position, and pitcher Bob Shawkey was named manager of the 1930 Yankees.

Archive 10-28-2008 11:00 AM

Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p><br />10 Yankees if you include Mgr. in 1929<br /> <br /><br />I am correcting my 1st post with the 1929 Yankees......<br /><br />Ruth<br /><br />Gehrig<br /><br />Dickey<br /><br />Durocher<br /><br />Lazzeri<br /><br />Ruffing<br /><br />Gomez<br /><br />Hoyt<br /><br />Pennock<br /><br />Miller Huggins, Mgr.<br /><br /><br />TED Z<br /><br />

Archive 10-28-2008 11:01 AM

Posted By: <b>David Atkatz</b><p>DiMaggio's rookie year was 1936, Ted.<br /><br />Want to change the post again?

Archive 10-28-2008 11:02 AM

Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Ted - DiMaggio on the 29 Yankees?

Archive 10-28-2008 11:05 AM

Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>OK guys, I hastily "cut-n-pasted" my 1st post.....give me a break.

Archive 10-28-2008 11:07 AM

Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Ted - Gomez's first season wasn't until 1930.

Archive 10-28-2008 11:21 AM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>So that knocks the 29 Yanks down to 9. Here are the 32 Yank HOFers:<br /><br />Gehrig<br />Lazzeri<br />Sewell<br />Ruth<br />Combs<br />Dickey <br />Gomez<br />Ruffing<br />Pennock<br />McCarthy

Archive 10-28-2008 11:23 AM

Posted By: <b>Jim VB</b><p>Richard, <br /><br />Didn't Phil Jackson still play for that team also?

Archive 10-28-2008 11:35 AM

Posted By: <b>Bobby Binder</b><p>28 Athletics had 8<br /><br />Mickey Cochrane <br />Al Simmons <br />Ty Cobb <br />Jimmie Foxx <br />Tris Speaker <br />Eddie Collins <br />Lefty Grove <br />Connie Mack

Archive 10-28-2008 11:38 AM

Posted By: <b>Bobby Binder</b><p>34 Cards had 8 as well<br />Frankie Frisch <br />Leo Durocher <br />Joe Medwick <br />Dizzy Dean <br />Paul Dean <br />Jesse Haines <br />Dazzy Vance <br />Burleigh Grimes

Archive 10-28-2008 11:42 AM

Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>As much as I love the Cardinals, Paul Dean didn't make the Hall.

Archive 10-28-2008 11:43 AM

Posted By: <b>Todd Schultz</b><p>the '24 and '25 Giants technically each had 10 as well:<br /><br />Frankie Frisch <br />Travis Jackson<br />George Kelly<br />Freddie Lindstrom<br />Billy Southworth<br />Bill Terry<br />Hack Wilson <br />Ross Youngs<br />Hughie Jennings<br />John McGraw

Archive 10-28-2008 11:45 AM

Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>How about the '33 Cards with Hornsby?

Archive 10-28-2008 12:02 PM

Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Without looking, Frisch was acquired in the Hornsby trade, and I don't think Durocher joined the Cards until 34.

Archive 10-28-2008 12:06 PM

Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Durocher was on the '33 team. The Hornsby trade happened mid-season, so can we count both on the roster?

Archive 10-28-2008 12:12 PM

Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>OK...<br /><br />1933 Cards, which I resorted to looking up...<br /><br />Frisch<br />Durocher<br />Medwick<br />Hornsby<br /><br />Dean<br />Vance<br />Grimes<br />Haines<br /><br /><br />Frisch arrived from the Giants as Hornsby went to the Giants. Even if you count both that gets you to 8. Or 7 at any given time.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />What about a nego league team??

Archive 10-28-2008 12:19 PM

Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>Had 9 as well.<br /><br />Gehrig<br />Ruth<br />Lazzeri<br />Combs<br />Dickey<br />Hoyt<br />Pennock<br />Coveleski<br />Huggins<br /><br />32-33 Yanks = 10<br />Gehrig<br />Ruth<br />Lazzeri<br />Combs<br />Dickey<br />Ruffing <br />Gomez<br />Pennock<br />Sewell<br />McCarthy<br /><br />IN '34 the Yanks had ten as well... but swap out Sewell for Grimes <br />

Archive 10-28-2008 12:20 PM

Posted By: <b>Rhett Yeakley</b><p>How has nobody brought up the 1977 Mariners yet? I mean Dan Meyer was a powerful hitter!<br />-Rhett

Archive 10-28-2008 12:26 PM

Posted By: <b>Matt</b><p>Will any of the Indians or Yankees teams from the 90s qualify?<br /><br />Kenny Lofton, Omar Vizquel and Dennis Martinez...

Archive 10-28-2008 12:38 PM

Posted By: <b>howard</b><p>Dave, Sewell was still w/the Yanks in 1934 but as a coach. Pennock was gone, however, so if you count coaches it would still be ten.

Archive 10-28-2008 12:51 PM

Posted By: <b>Dave</b><p>Oh... hmmm didn't think about coaches. Might make it interesting. Combs and Dickey became coaches too. Wonder how those 50's Yanks stack up.

Archive 10-28-2008 01:02 PM

Posted By: <b>Brian T.</b><p>I don't see the Indians of the mid 90s making the grade. You would have to take Omar off that list. (Don't get me wrong - I loved watching him play, but don't see him making the HOF). On the other hand, you have to add Manny Ramirez to that list. <br /><br />Going from memory on the '95 Indians...<br /><br />Manny Ramirez - yes,<br />Omar Vizquel - no,<br />Albert Belle - no, <br />Carlos Baerga - no, <br />Sandy Alomar - no, <br />Roberto Alomar - borderline (I would vote yes), <br />Orel Hershiser - low borderline (I don't think he will make it), <br />Dennis Martinez - yes,<br />Eddie Murray - yes (already there)<br />Jim Thome - probably yes based on HRs alone<br />Dave Winfield - yes (already there)<br />Kenny Lofton - borderline (I'm don't think he will make it)<br /><br />After looking up the roster, I forgot that Giles played for them that soon.<br />Brian Giles played 6 games for the Indians in '95<br />Though the HOF is unlikely for Giles, his career is not yet over, and thus the verdict is still out on him. <br /><br />The others put the '95 Indians at around 6.<br /><br />Looking at the '96 roster, you could add Jeff Kent, but take away Dave Winfield.<br />So, the '95 Indians look to be the strongest team from a HOF roster perspective at 6.