Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Not sure anyone has seen this? ESPN counterfeiters video Greg Marino (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246219)

GrayGhost 10-13-2017 04:32 PM

Not sure anyone has seen this? ESPN counterfeiters video Greg Marino

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21011515

Interesting

Sorry if anyone posted this.

Scott Garner 10-13-2017 05:30 PM

Scott,
Awesome video! Thanks for posting this.

39special 10-13-2017 06:53 PM

That's a very interesting video.

sycks22 10-13-2017 07:12 PM

Kind of amazing how good he was. I went to an estate sale two weeks ago and apparently this guy bought tons of Marino stuff. I was looking at them and felt bad that he thought his stuff was legit. The funniest one was a colored photo signed by Babe Ruth in Silver Sharpie.

MrSeven 10-13-2017 08:50 PM

Never realized how elaborate that forgery scam was. Disgusting to think how many people he ripped off.

Good work by the FBI.

irv 10-13-2017 08:59 PM

That was excellent, Scott. Thanks for posting it up.

Hopefully Leon puts this on the main page, and maybe a couple others as I think anyone in the hobby would like to watch this.

Mark70Z 10-14-2017 04:50 AM

To me it’s a shame that they received such short sentences for the crime committed.

chaddurbin 10-14-2017 09:44 AM

getting a little of the backstory was interesting, but the forgeries were not. i am not an expert at mantle but the mcgwires suck...i'm certain fudd or chris would laugh at those mantles. these were probably aimed at the vegas tourists.

all this video does is validate the irrational fears in minds of normal collectors who think all autographs are fake and we are the crazy ones to collect them. :rolleyes:

GrayGhost 10-14-2017 10:07 AM

Well I do agree that a video like this may put three years in the people, it was mainly posted to educate people. A little bit of background on the lead forger in the biggest forgery wearing of all time in sports. I think it is interesting and educational to a degree and that's all I was trying to get out of it.

gashouse34 10-14-2017 12:05 PM

Listening to Marino talk you get the impression he thinks he was a victim:rolleyes: He just wanted to see people happy.

MrSeven 10-14-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1710260)
getting a little of the backstory was interesting, but the forgeries were not. i am not an expert at mantle but the mcgwires suck...i'm certain fudd or chris would laugh at those mantles. these were probably aimed at the vegas tourists.

all this video does is validate the irrational fears in minds of normal collectors who think all autographs are fake and we are the crazy ones to collect them. :rolleyes:

His Mantle especially on baseballs is pretty obvious when compared with known good examples.

I've seen his Ted Williams' forgeries and those are far harder in my opinion to identify.

bnorth 10-14-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSeven (Post 1710324)
His Mantle especially on baseballs is pretty obvious when compared with known good examples.

I've seen his Ted Williams' forgeries and those are far harder in my opinion to identify.

On Ted Williams look at the bottom of the "T" in Ted and the "S" in Williams. Otherwise it is pretty good.

shelly 10-14-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSeven (Post 1710324)

His williams are very easy. He could never get the s correctly he loped it through the middle on all of his williams.

mcgwirecom 10-14-2017 03:29 PM

He was pretty good at most of them, but his McGwire was atrocious. I actually was authenticating for several auction houses in 1999 after the story broke because PSA/DNA had not started and JSA only did vintage players. I was called by one house and a few others joined in.

Before the story broke I was really mad because I had collected a lot of McGwire signed items and did an auction after the 1998 season. The prices I got were very low because people saw the cheap forgeries and would not bid over the forgery prices. I was selling signed balls for maybe $100 before the story broke. Then afterward... woohoo. I got as much as $1200 for a nice signed ball because people just wanted to know it was legit.

I like at the end when he says they put pride into it! LOL

Mr. Zipper 10-14-2017 06:56 PM

I actually appreciated watching him execute the forgeries.

For anyone who has wondered what "deliberate and drawn" means, there ya go.

thetruthisoutthere 10-14-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1710399)
I actually appreciated watching him execute the forgeries.

For anyone who has wondered what "deliberate and drawn" means, there ya go.

+1

seablaster 10-15-2017 06:40 AM

Yeesh. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

RichardSimon 10-15-2017 11:15 AM

The crooked ebay sellers who peddled this sh-- were way too many to count.
I can remember tangling with many of them, even an Army Lieutenant, and eventually had to sue one of them, who had slandered me, and beat him out of a nice sum of money.
A ton of Mantle and Williams and Joe D. stuff is still out there and is offered to me regularly by naive (?) owners.
Marino was very weak on the vintage stuff. Though many of those were also sold on ebay at "bargain" prices.

Leon 10-15-2017 06:37 PM

22 well spent minutes...thanks for posting the link to the video... AND liberty was taken to copy it from the autograph section to the front page for a few more eyes to see. I know it's not cards but some of our cards have signatures on them...( I am not making any statement as to any forgeries, not my area)

BearBailey 10-15-2017 07:33 PM

I highly recommend the book operation bullpen, interesting read. Quite disappointing what it did to our hobby, but if looking for a new book it is a good read, eye opening.

T206Collector 10-15-2017 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Reminds me of an old Dilbert comic strip...

bobbyw8469 10-16-2017 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 1710665)
Reminds me of an old Dilbert comic strip...

LMFAO!!! Love it!

Buythatcard 10-17-2017 07:34 AM

Thanks for sharing video. Seen it before but watched it again.

I would never buy an autograph unless I saw the player signing it himself. I am sure that there are still thousands of his forged autographs that were never confiscated and are still floating around.

Bpm0014 10-17-2017 09:17 AM

His Babe Ruth's were pretty bad...

insidethewrapper 10-17-2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1710635)
His williams are very easy. He could never get the s correctly he loped it through the middle on all of his williams.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=47657

Is this what you are talking about ? Are these fakes ?

Brian Van Horn 10-18-2017 03:26 AM

This is why I don't collect autographs.