Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Set Collectors: anyone arrange cards differently? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=265560)

Vintagevault13 02-09-2019 12:02 PM

Set Collectors: anyone arrange cards differently?
 
As I was putting some recent pickups for my 1971 set into sleeves/toploaders, my mind began to wander back to my early collecting days and it hit me that I never arranged my sets numerically when I started collecting. In fact, I honestly don’t remember even paying any attention to the numbers until a few years later. I always arranged my sets by teams and subsets (all-stars, leaders, World Series, etc.). This got me to wondering if anyone does this anymore. Just for nostalgia, I pulled all of my 1971 Braves cards and found that it is really cool to look at them by team. You can seen patterns in poses, locations, etc. I enjoy looking at my sets often and am thinking about channeling my inner 9-year-old and arranging them like I did as a kid.

Does anyone have sets arranged this way (or another way other than numerically)?

vintagebaseballcardguy 02-09-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagevault13 (Post 1853187)
As I was putting some recent pickups for my 1971 set into sleeves/toploaders, my mind began to wander back to my early collecting days and it hit me that I never arranged my sets numerically when I started collecting. In fact, I honestly don’t remember even paying any attention to the numbers until a few years later. I always arranged my sets by teams and subsets (all-stars, leaders, World Series, etc.). This got me to wondering if anyone does this anymore. Just for nostalgia, I pulled all of my 1971 Braves cards and found that it is really cool to look at them by team. You can seen patterns in poses, locations, etc. I enjoy looking at my sets often and am thinking about channeling my inner 9-year-old and arranging them like I did as a kid.



Does anyone have sets arranged this way (or another way other than numerically)?

I thought you were a binder man, Ed? [emoji39] The by team grouping is something I have always liked about the Fleer sets from the 80s.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Vintagevault13 02-09-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1853205)
I thought you were a binder man, Ed? [emoji39] The by team grouping is something I have always liked about the Fleer sets from the 80s.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hey Robert,

Good catch. I am actually a binder guy, but I must admit that I have gone back and forth between binders and toploaders over the years. All of my other sets are in binders, but I am only about 1/3 through the 1971 set so I have been putting them in toploaders until closer to completion. I imagine that I will continue to use binders due to the storage, weight, and ability to easily flip through the sets. I confess, however, that I do miss holding the individual cards and reading the backs like I did as a kid.

vintagebaseballcardguy 02-09-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagevault13 (Post 1853207)
Hey Robert,



Good catch. I am actually a binder guy, but I must admit that I have gone back and forth between binders and toploaders over the years. All of my other sets are in binders, but I am only about 1/3 through the 1971 set so I have been putting them in toploaders until closer to completion. I imagine that I will continue to use binders due to the storage, weight, and ability to easily flip through the sets. I confess, however, that I do miss holding the individual cards and reading the backs like I did as a kid.

Ed, you are my inspiration for using binders. I hadn't used binders in years until I started seeing your posts. I have also been back and forth over the years but now I am back to my roots: ungraded cards in binders, the way it was meant to be and not trying to impress anyone by doing so...just pure enjoyment. Good idea of holding them in topladers until you get enough to transfer them to the binder. Incidentally, I have been thinking about building a 1971 Topps set.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Vintagevault13 02-09-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy (Post 1853210)
Ed, you are my inspiration for using binders. I hadn't used binders in years until I started seeing your posts. I have also been back and forth over the years but now I am back to my roots: ungraded cards in binders, the way it was meant to be and not trying to impress anyone by doing so...just pure enjoyment. Good idea of holding them in topladers until you get enough to transfer them to the binder. Incidentally, I have been thinking about building a 1971 Topps set.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I 1000% agree with you. To me, this hobby is also for pure enjoyment. Good luck if you go after the 1971 set. I am having fun putting it together. I adjusted my tolerance levels just a bit re: corner wear due to the black borders. It hasn’t been terribly difficult to put together since I am willing to overlook a little chipping along the sides and corners. I still avoid creases, writing, etc. I am building it in the VG+ - EX range. I would suggest starting with the high numbers to knock them out. That is what I did and I found them about as tough as the more talked-about 1972 high numbers. It is a good feeling to know I have those out of the way. Again, good luck if you decide to pursue the 1971’s. Let me know if I can help with anything as you make your decision.

JollyElm 02-09-2019 05:45 PM

It's funny, what you call subsets my friends and I called "junk" cards. All the junk (checklists, leaders, World Series and such) went to the back. When you're a kid, it's so natural to set all of your cards apart by teams, because you are all about your team and who they're playing. My brothers and I hoarded Mets cards, because that was our hometown team. The Mets went in front. And if they were playing the Cubs that day, we'd grab our Chicago cards and 'scout' the team. When the game was going on we'd follow the players as the team made its way through the lineup and check out things like, "Hey, how did José Cardenal hit last year?"...or..."What happened to the guy on this card? Was he traded?"...or..."Hee hee, Pete LaCock. Don't let Mom hear you say that."

The older you get, your childhood teams vanish into the ether and you begin arranging your sets in numerical order...as you come to realize your innocence is lost. Whoa...that took a dark turn there. Too much? :D

Vintagevault13 02-09-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 1853257)
It's funny, what you call subsets my friends and I called "junk" cards. All the junk (checklists, leaders, World Series and such) went to the back. When you're a kid, it's so natural to set all of your cards apart by teams, because you are all about your team and who they're playing. My brothers and I hoarded Mets cards, because that was our hometown team. The Mets went in front. And if they were playing the Cubs that day, we'd grab our Chicago cards and 'scout' the team. When the game was going on we'd follow the players as the team made its way through the lineup and check out things like, "Hey, how did José Cardenal hit last year?"...or..."What happened to the guy on this card? Was he traded?"...or..."Hee hee, Pete LaCock. Don't let Mom hear you say that."

The older you get, your childhood teams vanish into the ether and you begin arranging your sets in numerical order...as you come to realize your innocence is lost. Whoa...that took a dark turn there. Too much? :D

Haha, good stuff Darren. Definitely not too much. I also began putting the cards “in order” as I got older. Love the “junk cards” part. I recall call them “special cards”; not sure why 🤔.

sfh24 02-09-2019 06:41 PM

Cards in numeric order in binders all the way. I just completed 1972 and am about to start 1971 myself. I have been fearful of the black borders. Hopefully, I will not drive myself crazy.

commishbob 02-09-2019 07:05 PM

I enjoy hearing folks ideas and experiences in set building/storing. Growing up I had my cards in cigar boxes that I got both from the corner store/soda fountain where I bought 90% of them and from my uncle's pharmacy. They were rubber-banded in number order. Dupes went with me to school for flipping and trading.

Nowadays I put sets into binders when I get past the 50% mark. We should form a '71 set chasers club it seems. I just got back from several hours at the Houston TriStar show banging away at my wantlist for that one. I'm not real fussy on condition generally which is good because finding NM '71s would be the death of me (and my hobby budget). Decent corners, no creases and no writing is all I require.

Vintagevault13 02-09-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commishbob (Post 1853280)
I enjoy hearing folks ideas and experiences in set building/storing. Growing up I had my cards in cigar boxes that I got both from the corner store/soda fountain where I bought 90% of them and from my uncle's pharmacy. They were rubber-banded in number order. Dupes went with me to school for flipping and trading.

Nowadays I put sets into binders when I get past the 50% mark. We should form a '71 set chasers club it seems. I just got back from several hours at the Houston TriStar show banging away at my wantlist for that one. I'm not real fussy on condition generally which is good because finding NM '71s would be the death of me (and my hobby budget). Decent corners, no creases and no writing is all I require.

Count me in on the “1971 club”! Fun set but it can drive you crazy if you let it. Sounds like you and I are building similar sets.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.