Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   BST Gripe (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=143045)

Tim Kindler 10-25-2011 07:59 PM

BST Gripe

OK everybody, here goes. I just need to vent this.

HOW COME SOME PEOPLE DON'T PUT PRICES ON THEIR CARDS THAT THEY ARE SELLING ON THE BST! IF THEY WANT OFFERS AND A CERTAIN PRICE, WHY DON'T THEY EITHER PUT THEM ON EBAY, CONSIGN TO AN AUCTION HOUSE, OR OPEN THEIR OWN AUCTION COMPANY!

;) Now let me defend myself before some people kill me on the board by stating that I'm not saying this because of any one seller or member who has offended me. It is just that I go to the BST to shop and possibly buy things because I know exactly what I have to pay for it, unlike an auction or ebay. Look, I hope no person takes personal offense to this, because I am not talking about any particular member; it just seems that lately, many sellers have gone to "Make Offers". Sorry if I'm wrong, but I didn't think this was the intention of the BST.

Best Wishes Everyone!
Tim Kindler

HRBAKER 10-25-2011 08:01 PM

Some people are salesmen and some are fishermen.

pkaufman 10-25-2011 08:31 PM

private auctions

Some people like to run their own private auctions without having to purchase auction software,

novakjr 10-25-2011 08:35 PM

It only slightly annoys me when the BST has a bunch of make offer ads. But it's not a huge deal. I can live with it.

A "taking offers" section would be a nice thought to add to the BST, since the listed items aren't necessarily for sale. Only potentially for sale.

vintagerookies51 10-25-2011 08:38 PM

I've noticed this too.. maybe people are afraid that their asking price is going tp be less than what they can actually get for it. Who knows?

HRBAKER 10-25-2011 08:42 PM

To me it's no more than a minor aggravation at this point.
I have bought dozens of cards on the BST over the years but I don't recall ever making an offer. I typically interpret these type of listings to mean, "I don't really want to sell this but if someone is willing to overpay I might."

All in all, I don't see it as an issue. Maybe we just rename it, the Buy/Sell/Trade/Fish Page.

Leon 10-25-2011 08:48 PM

slightly annoying

The make-an-offer listings are slightly annoying to me. I generally won't make one (unless I need the card "real" bad). ;)

Tim Kindler 10-25-2011 08:58 PM

I do feel better!

I guess after venting, I do feel a lot better and really now I realize that it isn't that big of a deal! I guess I just needed something to gripe about since I had a colonoscopy done today!:eek:

novakjr 10-25-2011 08:59 PM

After some thought and a simple wiki search on auction types to get the actual name. Technically, make and offer ads are auctions and should accordingly be listed in the auction section....These would fall under "First-price sealed-bid auction", with an undetermined reserve(since the seller doesn't have to sell)..

mintacular 10-25-2011 09:14 PM

Some

Some people don't know what a card is worth and so the "best offer" option allows them to guage what that # it might be...If they get offers of $100, 200, 300, etc. they can atleast get a ballpark figure. Pre-war cards don't tend to have a long paper trail and so oftentimes this is the only way to go. To assume these folks aren't trying to actually sell is just that, an assumption...

FrankWakefield 10-25-2011 09:19 PM

Some sellers ask for an offer when they are unsure of demand, and want as much as they can get... maybe we should get mad at everyone in that situation; no.

Some buyers only want to grab up a steal or a bargain, and aren't 'person' enough (just staying gender neutral) to make that offer. Maybe they too are unsure of demand, and want to buy something for as little as possible. Are we going to get mad at them, too? Naaahhhh.

Having been guilty of it many times before, I try to hold onto something I think I picked up on this board, don't blah someone else's bling. Easy to say, difficult to do.

I believe I ran the first 'auction' on BST... that's kind of a 'make offer' situation.

novakjr 10-25-2011 09:24 PM

Patrick, you're spot on. They definitely belong in the BST, and there's nothing wrong with it. Sometimes the listings aren't necessarily intended to sell, and other times they are. Either way, the cards either aren't for sale, or are an auction. And rightfully belong in the auction section, or their own "make offers" section.

HRBAKER 10-25-2011 09:28 PM

I have always thought that most of the type of listings we are talking about were from fairly savvy collectors/sellers. Some cards are thinly traded for sure.

Fred 10-25-2011 11:16 PM

I figure if someone asks for an offer and doesn't provide a price then they shouldn't be annoyed if the low ball offers come in.

sportscardpete 10-26-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 934539)
I figure if someone asks for an offer and doesn't provide a price then they shouldn't be annoyed if the low ball offers come in.

That's true too. Or they shouldn't be mad if we ask for a ball park (which hasn't happened to me).

T206Collector 10-26-2011 08:26 AM

I sometimes will do "make me an offer" posts. It helps me gauge interest in an item and identify potential buyers. That allows me to have a constructive dialogue, particularly when I fear that my price would be too high to even spur an offer.

bbcard1 10-26-2011 08:44 AM

The last time I made an offer, it was deemed offensive. And I am not a very offensive type of guy. Generally.

vintagetoppsguy 10-26-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novakjr (Post 934502)
A "taking offers" section would be a nice thought to add to the BST, since the listed items aren't necessarily for sale. Only potentially for sale.

I feel the same way as the OP. I like David’s idea about having a separate “taking offers” section.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mintacular (Post 934517)
Some people don't know what a card is worth and so the "best offer" option allows them to guage what that # it might be.

I disagree. Unless the card just fell into their lap, they know what they paid for it and that should at least get the seller in the ballpark of what to ask for the card.

xdrx 10-26-2011 09:16 AM

There's always the simplistic selling approach of listing at a healthy price you'd be thrilled with but is almost certainly too high, then saying "OBO". You've effectively gotten around the gripe concerning "make me an offer" threads. No one seems to care about OBO listings.

HercDriver 10-26-2011 09:26 AM

Offers vs auctions

The "make me an offer" posts are really auctions with hidden reserves. I don't think there's a fundamental problem with them, although I avoid them personally. I think if they were on the auction page, I'd be more inclined to "bid" on the card. People understand reserves and accept them...while the "make me an offer" turns many off. Just call it what it is...

Take Care,
Geno

tbob 10-26-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Kindler (Post 934513)
I guess after venting, I do feel a lot better and really now I realize that it isn't that big of a deal! I guess I just needed something to gripe about since I had a colonoscopy done today!:eek:

Tim- I agree with you 100%.
Be careful about getting on the internet (ebay) after being knocked out for a colonoscopy, I have heard a lot of stories about people who bought boats and other items while still "under the influence." ;)

irishdenny 10-26-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Kindler (Post 934513)

Did you have to mention the "C" word?

Mine's on the 10th of November and I had conveniently forgotten about it...

Til NOW!!!

And I thought the Fishermen on the BST were annoying... :rolleyes: