Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How do you remove a photo from a mount? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249345)

Jobu 12-27-2017 01:16 PM

How do you remove a photo from a mount?

1 Attachment(s)
I have a mounted Jim Thorpe photo and am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the process of removing a photo like this from its mount. The board is too thick to see through with a strong light, so I don't have any idea if something is written/stamped on the back. Thanks in advance.

drcy 12-27-2017 01:20 PM

I'd leave it as is. The photo is more desirable on a mount like that.

Jobu 12-27-2017 01:37 PM

Interesting. I am still learning about what is important for vintage photos, but I thought that being able to see the back, for both stamps/writing and paper type, was really important.

Runscott 12-27-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1733173)
I'd leave it as is. The photo is more desirable on a mount like that.

+1 Curiosity killed the cat...and ruined the Thorpe photo.

Jobu 12-28-2017 10:55 AM

Thanks guys.

One more question - is there any risk of damage to a photo from a mount that isn't acid free? I have been thinking about this and can't think of examples of photos where an old mount appears to have damaged a real photo. Obviously cards, posters, ads, etc all suffer, but do photos? I also have another old team panoramic photo still on its original mount and the photo looks just fine.

Huysmans 12-28-2017 11:09 AM

Hey Bryan,

as others have stated, I'd leave the photo as is.
Very little could be gained by removing it with damage a possibility, plus the reverse of the mount does have editorial notes and stamps.

Regarding possible damage to the photo from the mount itself, the overwhelming majority of photos from the era and earlier, if on contemporary mounts, are in no fear of any acid damage.

... great image by the way!

drcy 12-28-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1733427)
Thanks guys.

One more question - is there any risk of damage to a photo from a mount that isn't acid free? I have been thinking about this and can't think of examples of photos where an old mount appears to have damaged a real photo. Obviously cards, posters, ads, etc all suffer, but do photos? I also have another old team panoramic photo still on its original mount and the photo looks just fine.

That is a legitimate point, but all mounted photos (ala cabinet cards) had the photo pasted on and there is rarely any damage from that. And most damaged would have happened by now.

If the photo was pasted later on to something, I think removal would be a legitimate idea. However, the backing is original to it, I'd leave it as is.

P.s., it's an grade A photo.

prewarsports 12-30-2017 12:20 AM

I'm guessing you probably wont find anything on the back of that photo that is going to make you happy. The style and markings on it appear to be more modern (maybe 1950's or 1960's) and I would leave it as is, it makes for a really nice display and if my hunch is correct about it being a little later, the glue on back would make it nearly impossible to remove and you are going to regret messing with it. Of course I could never speak absolutely without seeing it in person, but my guess is that it is a larger image on glossier paper stock that dates to after WWII but still looks great as is, leave it.

Jobu 12-30-2017 11:04 AM

Thanks again for the honest opinions.

The photo itself measures 9" x 7". I just compared it to my 1917 Cobb military photo and the Thorpe may be a little less glossy than that one. Any tips on what I might look for to date it short of waiting for the National to be back in Chicago?

steve B 01-02-2018 10:21 AM

I have a few photos that were mounted to non-acid free mounts, and in general, the photos are fine. The exceptions are a couple on really bad mounts where the mount cracked under the photo and damaged the photo with it.

But those are also 100+ years old, so you've got a long way to go.

I really have to make scans of some of that stuff.

I'd also think the photo and mount are newer than the 1920's.

The fun thing to do would be to see if that photo is on p59 of a book, or maybe a bit after since they also re-wrote the date. Finding what that exact photo was used for would be pretty cool.