Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Question: 84 Fleer Baseball Card On Bottom Of 83 Fleer Cello Baseball (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=251489)

Charger74 02-18-2018 02:28 PM

Question: 84 Fleer Baseball Card On Bottom Of 83 Fleer Cello Baseball

4 Attachment(s)
Writing to ask if anyone has seen an example of this. The bar code indicates this is an 83 Fleer Baseball Cello. Cello appears to be intact and never opened. Any chance this was a late year issue, where they may have been producing the 84 cards and still pushing out 83 cellos? Any thoughts would be appreciated. The bottom two pictures side by side are the top and bottom on the cello. Notice in the end of card picture, the very white line that is the 84 Fleer Tommy John card. Thanks, Mike

bigfanNY 02-21-2018 08:32 PM

Near 100% chance it has been re wrapped is my thought on this. Esp with star card on front.

swarmee 02-21-2018 08:39 PM

My thought too, but your best bet is to email BBCE and see if they have any record of this.

mrmopar 02-22-2018 09:55 PM

No price or actual date shown on the wrapper? I would have guessed Fleer reusing old leftover wrapping stock, but that would be an uneducated guess and a naive assumption that the world is not filled with greedy, unethical bastards trying to scam a buck any way they can!

Aquarian Sports Cards 02-23-2018 05:40 AM

It was common for the companies to use leftover wrappers to start the next year. You see it fairly often in wax, never saw it in cello before but it doesn't surprise me.

steve B 02-23-2018 10:58 AM

Yes, they reused wrappers early sometimes, but generally not with both years cards inside.
Looks like only the back card is an 84, which is really weird if it's not rewrapped.

Aquarian Sports Cards 02-23-2018 01:45 PM

missed that, yeah that would strike me as fishy at best.

mrmopar 02-23-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1750688)
Yes, they reused wrappers early sometimes, but generally not with both years cards inside.
Looks like only the back card is an 84, which is really weird if it's not rewrapped.

I missed that part of there story too, but then why fake something and then make it so much more unusual as to attract more scrutiny to it? Haven't there been examples of other sports and even non sports cards coming from baseball packs? I suppose anything could happen, but very odd to say the least.

toppcat 02-24-2018 07:04 AM

Late night shenanigans at the Fleer packing room?

Charger74 02-24-2018 12:51 PM

Everyone, thanks for the responses. I am going to hold onto this until I can confirm the situation of how this could have occurred. Obviously a rewrap should be the answer, but I have looked pretty close to the wrap and it does not appear to be rewrapped, but hey, anything is possible.

D. Bergin 02-24-2018 02:32 PM

Wait, I assumed the Ryne Sandberg card was on the front of the Terry Puhl pack, and the Tommy John pack was just used as an example of being the same type wrapper. Is it on the front of the Tommy John pack?

:confused:

Charger74 02-24-2018 06:11 PM

83 Fleer Sandberg on top, 84 Fleer Tommy John on bottom of the 83 Cello. Been looking online to see if I could find another occurrence, no luck yet.

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 03-04-2018 11:48 AM

Rewrap. Not a very good one, at that. The focus is always on the exterior seal and fold but the easiest way to spot a bad rewrap is on the subsequent folds underneath. Those are much harder to duplicate outside the factory. Of course, you also have an '84 wrapper with an '84 card and a Sandberg rookie on top. There is so much '83 crap on eBay right it's unreal. More bad than good.

Arthur