Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Christie's Buried Treasure thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=253752)

whitey19thcentury 04-16-2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1768167)
I guess I need to start paying attention to Christie’s now. I remember the good old days of Hunt auction lots where you didn’t know exactly what you were getting in a lot until it showed up on your doorstep.

There are still some other auction houses where you can luck out still in terms of bidding on bulk lots and being surprised when it comes to your doorstep.

Lelands used to be like that back in the day, too. I remember purchasing fantastic autograph lots back in the 00s in Lelands. One vintage Yankees lot I purchased had two signatures each of former owners Devery and Farrell, and those weren't listed or shown.
Another autograph lot I purchased about 15 or so years ago had the very tough Andy Varga on a vintage RPPC. Again, not even mentioned in the auction listing.

BeanTown 04-17-2018 12:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't think any AH will beat Hunt from the old days. They did partial descriptions and one picture for the entire lot. They almost always over achieved for their buyers as there were always additional items in the box. Tele Trade was another auction which will never be duplicated. Loved bidding by phone to a computor voice.

Now to Christies. Here is what a 950.00 shipping charge gets you! A big box with lots of protection. Im sure Christies uses shipping and insurance as major profit centers for their company. Plus the 25 percent BP is pretty healthy too.

It just amazes me that that half their descriptions, was warning people that they are not responsible for what type photo it is and no garuntee for being authentic. Lot descriptions were more disclaimers than actual product descriptions.

Then they show one or a couple photos to show lots with up to 75 items. Yes, if you are in New York its a big advantage to show up to their location actually look at the items ahead of time But how many people actually did that? I was told over the phone they would get back to me, and that never happened. Plus I was told the lot I inquired about was in another warehouse.

I think ALL winners should have their photos looked at, as rumorville has it there were many type 2s and later photos. Interesting Christies nor the consignor wanted to Have photos graded by a TPG.

Maybe two threads should be posted with one being success stories and burried treasure and the other thread being No treasure and a couple lumps of coal.

whitey19thcentury 04-17-2018 08:09 AM

OMG! Tele Trade! I remember bidding on their auctions via pay phone on my floor in the dorm building I lived in at Robert Morris! Fun memories!

tazdmb 04-17-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1768167)
I guess I need to start paying attention to Christie’s now. I remember the good old days of Hunt auction lots where you didn’t know exactly what you were getting in a lot until it showed up on your doorstep.

I believe this was the last of Christies baseball auctions

T206Jim 04-17-2018 07:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
JC, I'd estimate out of the 150 photos in my lots approximately 10% where not Type 1s. Sometimes however the other types are much cooler! Check out this Lajoie. First is the base image. The second is the image with the floating head (a clearer image) attached (note the glue marks on the first image). The third shows both and the fourth is a published example of FrankenLajoie. This was photoshop circa 1910. A fascinating look at the editing craft.

Attachment 312999 Attachment 313000

Attachment 313001 Attachment 313002

Topnotchsy 04-17-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1768258)
I believe this was the last of Christies baseball auctions

They indicated it was the last of the collection they had been consigned (the 3 auctions were all from a single consignor). I imagine if a similar situation came up they would do it again, but I would wonder why anyone would consign sports items to Christie's given the way these listings were handled.

Snapolit1 04-17-2018 08:10 PM

Clearly on the photographs they parsed out the Ruth Gehrig and Cobbs etc for the first two auctions and this was let’s sell what’s left. Quickly and in groups. Assume the consignor was fine that approach or he would have taken it elsewhere.

BeanTown 04-17-2018 10:42 PM

Jim, thats good to hear and agreed the later types can be very cool, like the examples you showed. I take it you will be be reserching many photos now and the what issues they were used in.

Jeff, I think the consignor must have had a relationship with Christies which would explain why they chose to go with an AH that did not do him any favors, on the way they sold off his consignments. Not too mention, the absorbiant fees they charge buyers. This could pave the way for future gazillionares, trust funds, buying groups, and Museums to consign a large 8 figure consignment to them.

Im curious what percentage of the consignors portfolio was made up of the 3 Christies Sport auctions? I bet they also have some serious art, houses in every Continent, many high profile cars, vases from the Ming Dynasty, their own Island and possibly a ticket to go out in space! Im just glad they allowed the public to buy and enjoy their collection which they have amassed. Some big collections will never come to market.

MVSNYC 04-18-2018 09:20 AM

Slightly O/T...

I was the underbidder on lot 153 (WALTER O’MALLEY LETTER REGARDING BROOKLYN DODGERS RELOCATION). I was prepared to bid higher, but sadly Christie’s outbid email never came through to me.

If the winning bidder is on Net54, LMK if you are interested in making a fast, significant profit. Thanks!

Snapolit1 04-18-2018 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Conlon Waite Hoyt, used for 1933 Goudey card.