Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Latest Pickups (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=162100)

soxinseven 03-07-2022 09:00 AM

Ogdens Jackson

1 Attachment(s)
Back from SGC. I feel like it's a bit over graded but I'm harsh on black border issues. I'm just happy to own a crease free example.

D. Bergin 03-07-2022 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2200205)
These will look familiar ;).

Pretty nice stack in my eyes, the fronts are bolder in color than C52's are normally found. C52's tend to be less good on the registration front than the T218 print runs, faces for example are usually a little out of registration and these are no different. Almost all the cards have back toning and spots of toning on the front that I suspect are from decades long storage in the album they were in. This seems common in C52, the heavily browned backs that turn the ink a bluish/green are not a stock variant, just toning. I suspect it is common because Imperial Tobacco tended to issue albums for their cards that people stored them in and this setup has led to toning. The album this came with is certainly not the Imperial Tobacco album that could have been issued for the set. I do suspect one may have been issued though and could turn up.

None of these would grade higher than a 3 I think, but they look good and I never care much about condition anyways. This lot brings me up to 86 out of the 109 cards in the set, and gives me some dupes now that are available for swapping (hit me up if anyone is interested). I have to bump C52 up my priority list now, 23 to go isn't too bad.

I got the T53's, T73's and single C71 with the find. Plugged some holes in my T73 set and a lot of the T53's were small upgrades to my completed master set. C71 I have to research, looks pretty cool and I like the non-sport animal series', but that's for the other board.

Those are great looking C52's.....particularly the Johnson and Jeffries. I think they're really under-rated and not especially common at all.

D. Bergin 03-07-2022 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxinseven (Post 2203213)
Back from SGC. I feel like it's a bit over graded but I'm harsh on black border issues. I'm just happy to own a crease free example.

Holy Cows.......that's a fantastic example of that card.

Exhibitman 03-07-2022 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 2203235)
Holy Cows.......that's a fantastic example of that card.

Ditto. I am happy to have any example in my collection.

wondo 03-08-2022 05:57 PM

1911 La Boxe

1 Attachment(s)
French “Sports Library” series

GasHouseGang 03-10-2022 10:43 AM

That's an interesting card John, I've never seen one of those.

G1911 03-11-2022 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another batch thanks to the board here.

I love the N28's but don't plan to ever build the set, with the cost of the baseball cards. I'll have to put more effort into the boxers in it now that the big one is here. I prefer this Sullivan to any of John L.'s other non-cabinet sized cards, even if it is one of his most common vintage items. Great pose of a great champion.

Got a couple more Mayo's, with Tommy Ryan being the highlight. I'm trying to build this set both ways with the name at top and bottom. Ryan is my kind of card I prefer, priced as a common but a top-tier boxer.

Sullivan is most of the $ in the batch, but the Red Sun's are the big gets as they are very difficult cards. This puts me up to 11 of them ~7 months after I started the set. I don't expect to continue this pace. Brown is in pretty bad shape for a Red Sun, most of the surviving examples are in decent condition, but can't be picky with these. Brown is also noteworthy as being one of the few subjects in T226 that has a T218 card but uses a different picture than the T218/T9 uses. Happy to have two more here

Jcfowler6 03-11-2022 05:57 PM

Latest Pickups

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f49cf891e9.jpg

The other day I was going thru a stack of n150 actors and actresses. This card was in the stack. I’ve had it for years. Until recently I assumed it was an actor. I’ve even tried to sell it at flea markets for $10.

Not necessarily a new pickup but a new realization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G1911 03-11-2022 07:33 PM

I’d be thrilled as all get out to find that Sullivan in one of my stacks of random cards. Very nice one

GasHouseGang 03-11-2022 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 (Post 2204728)

The other day I was going thru a stack of n150 actors and actresses. This card was in the stack. I’ve had it for years. Until recently I assumed it was an actor. I’ve even tried to sell it at flea markets for $10.

Not necessarily a new pickup but a new realization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I need to go to more flea markets! If you want to double your original asking price, I'd go up to $20! :D