Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   It finally happened to me... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=118093)

whitey19thcentury 11-26-2009 08:54 AM

It finally happened to me...

Hello all,

I am surprised this is my first post on here. I have been coming to this site over a year now and I recognize a lot of the posters on here from either buying from or selling to them (or both) in the past.

I am a collector and dealer in vintage non Hall of Fame autographs, in addition to being a serious collector of pre-1900 Pirates/Alleghenys memorabilia.

I have a horror story to tell all of you which reflects the state of the autograph business and authenticators today. I am going to preface this by saying that I am not a big fan of any of the 3rd party authenticators, because I have seen far too many fakes slapped or come with a COA.

Now, I have heard stories of this sort of thing happening to others, but this is the first time it has happened to me.....

I am not going to mention the item or the auctionhouse's name (or the specific item). In 2004, I bought a nice framed/matted cut of a figure off of the auctionhouse. The signature looked good to me and it came with a letter from PSA (Grad/Spence at the time). Well, this was one of those purchases where afterwards I thought to myself "Why did I buy this?" as it was something I didn't deal in or collected. A few months ago, I sent it to the same auctionhouse to consign for a future auction. A week ago, I got the item back in the mail with a letter from them saying it had "authenticity issues". Since it was past their business hours, I emailed the company and a few of their employees I know personally. I was able to find a link on their site from the auction listing from 2004 and offered them two choices:

If it was authentic then, it has to be authentic now, b/c after all, it came with a letter from the all-knowing PSA.

The other option was I wanted a full refund of the original purchase price or I was no longer going to bid in their auctions. (I have dealt with this company since I was a senior in high school, 12 years ago).

To my surprise, they were quick with a refund check and an apology.

The thing is, I know someone who had problems with the same company in the past with team signed baseballs. I know auctionhouse COAs are basically junk, but still, if you sell something as authentic in one auction, and then say that there is a problem with the same item if the buyer wants to re-consign it, then there's a problem there.

This is why I am sticking to buying collections from people I know personally or who have a good name in the business.

Happy Thanksgiving all

HRBAKER 11-26-2009 09:51 AM

Thanks for sharing. Glad it worked out for you. Sounds like the auction house did right by you.

Leon 11-26-2009 07:42 PM

nice story

First of all welcome to Net54baseball.com. Glad you finally posted. We are getting more and more folks every day. Plus, as a registered member you have far more access to all areas and will be able to see all images.

As for autographs I could never collect them because of all I have heard. If I ever did get the hankerin' I would collect checks or legal docs with signatures. At least the great majority of those should be good....take care

prewarsports 11-27-2009 11:20 AM

Welcome to the board Russ. For those of you who do not know him, he is a really great guy with some nice early items as well.

Rhys

drc 11-27-2009 01:09 PM

Sound like the auction house did the right thing in the end. I suspect there are some out there that wouldn't have given a refund.

How a seller reacts to an error will often tell you more about him than when a sale goes smoothly.