Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The next five years- what do you see for the future of the hobby? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=157684)

ullmandds 10-15-2012 01:20 PM

I was just talking to a patient about that very topic...the drop-off in demand for Mickey Mantle...esp the rookie card!!!

I totally agree!

bn2cardz 10-15-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainier2004 (Post 1044518)
Im seeing 52 topps mantles often. I have always felt the floor will drop out of this card. He was my Dad's hero growing up, even though he was in Michigan. My father is 63 and covets Mantle cards probably more than anything else but Ive always wondered what happens after his generation is no longer contributing to the hobby. Personally, I could care less about Mantles, it is a somewhat common card relatively speaking and it seems more people shoot past that era straight to pre-WW cards. My its just my slanted view.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1044530)
I was just talking to a patient about that very topic...the drop-off in demand for Mickey Mantle...esp the rookie card!!!

I totally agree!

Peter,
Which one will drop in demand Mantle rookie, or the 52 Mantle?
I believe the 52 topps mantle should drop below the 51 bowman mantle eventually, and closer to the 52 bowman mantle. I don't think it will happen within 5 years though.

SetBuilder 10-15-2012 01:47 PM

I don't think you need to have a "connection" to the cards/eras to collect them. We have something called the internet now where you can research old players and learn about their careers.

After all, 19th century collectors on this board, unless they happen to be 110 years old, can't possibly have a connection in the form of nostalgia to those players.

smtjoy 10-15-2012 02:11 PM

I really dont see the price of a 1952 Topps Mantle going down any time in 5 years and probably not in 20 years unless we have a serious depression then all things will go down hard.

If the 52 topps Mantle does go down in the near future its a bad sign for card collecting prices in general, to me the T206 Wagner, 33 Lajoie and 52 Topps Mantle are the three cards that symbolize card collecting most and if they fall all others will follow.

I also dont think the 52 topps mantle will never be less than his rookie 51 bowman, the 52 is just to iconic of a card, see above.

ullmandds 10-15-2012 02:22 PM

I think the collectors/fans that love Mickey Mantle are those mainly NY fans that grew up watching him play. His statistics are impressive...but not like Babe Ruth/Ty Cobb/Hank Aaron, etc.

Perhaps in 5 yrs down the road there won't be much of a change...but I just cannot imagine people paying 6 figures for a high grade 52 topps mantle rookie in 20-30 yrs who never saw him play?

I think this decline in interest in Mantle will affect both the 51 and 52 "rookie" cards.

Remember guys...these mantle rookie cards are not scarce by any stretch of the imagination...they are pretty common relatively speaking. When supply exceeds demand...beware of falling prices.

Just my opinion?!

rainier2004 10-15-2012 02:31 PM

I can see the 52T Mantle hanging around for awhile, longer than 5 years but not necessarily 20 years. My Father owns a 52T Mantle, his prized card in his colection as its part of his 52T set. It is an iconic card, but the 33 Lajoie and t206 wagner are past everyone that watched them play. I dont think you have to watch them play or here stories to collect them...Matty maybe my favorite guy that Ive never seen play. I just think the Mick's aura is sitting real tight w/ people my Dads age compared to Mays, Aaron and Musial who were arguably the 3 greatest players from the golden era. Just my opinion, I just see how my old mans eyes get fired up when the 52T Mantle comes out or I choose to start a conversation with him about the Mick and I cant say the same for any other cards of his...he really likes his t206 cobbys as well, but not the same.

ullmandds 10-15-2012 02:40 PM

Steven...I agree...but when our dads are gone...I don't see mantle rookies continuing to fetch prices in the 4 figures minimum range for beaters...let alone close to 6 figures for high grade.

rainier2004 10-15-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1044558)
Steven...I agree...but when our dads are gone...I don't see mantle rookies continuing to fetch prices in the 4 figures minimum range for beaters...let alone close to 6 figures for high grade.

Peter - I agree with ya completely. It looks like its just the 2 of us though. I think it will take longer than 5 years for this slide as well, but not 20.

mark evans 10-15-2012 03:18 PM

I think the value of vintage cards will decrease gradually over time, with rarities performing better than more common issues. I think the reasons are two-fold: economic measures taken to address the national debt (tax increases, reduction in 'entitlements'...this is not intended to provoke a political discussion) and aging of baby boomers. On the latter point, I can't help but believe that the value of Mantle cards is directly related to the fact that he was the sports hero of most kids who like myself grew up in the 50s and 60s.

Brian Van Horn 10-15-2012 04:35 PM

I'm hoping to see more guys like Chris and Steve. Another generation needs to be great in numbers.

The one thing less likely to be seen is reasonable pricing.