Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   1989 fleer Randy Johnson (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=204974)

bnorth 09-10-2017 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdbrooks77 (Post 1699801)
Picked these up last week. The box one looks blue in person, and the one on the left is very clear very little red to it.

Great pick ups. I hoard these cards. It is actually a sickness, when I see one cheap I just have to buy it.:)

mrdbrooks77 09-10-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1699808)
Great pick ups. I hoard these cards. It is actually a sickness, when I see one cheap I just have to buy it.:)

me too, off and on if i see a cheap johnson or ripken fleer i am on it.

bnorth 09-11-2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdbrooks77 (Post 1699844)
me too, off and on if i see a cheap johnson or ripken fleer i am on it.

LOL, I hoard the Ripken and all it versions also. I just sold 1 of the 5 graded Ripken Mystery Cards.

maximus35 09-24-2017 06:57 AM

I'm glad I found this thread as I am also an 89 fleer errors hoarder. I've purchased tons of boxes searching for the clear Marlboro sign and the Ripken white out version (most rare one). I have pulled many of the Marlboro versions but none with the sign completely visible. I have many that look like it could be it until I saw the blog. Does anybody know the # on the cases of the early productions before the ad was first partially blocked out? Also, does anybody know which cases would contain the Ripken white out versions? I've pulled many FF ripkens and other errors but no Boggs. I'm under the impression that the Marlboro sign fully visible versions got corrected so early on that those boxes do not exist anymore. Somebody please help!!

bnorth 09-24-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximus35 (Post 1703769)
I'm glad I found this thread as I am also an 89 fleer errors hoarder. I've purchased tons of boxes searching for the clear Marlboro sign and the Ripken white out version (most rare one). I have pulled many of the Marlboro versions but none with the sign completely visible. I have many that look like it could be it until I saw the blog. Does anybody know the # on the cases of the early productions before the ad was first partially blocked out? Also, does anybody know which cases would contain the Ripken white out versions? I've pulled many FF ripkens and other errors but no Boggs. I'm under the impression that the Marlboro sign fully visible versions got corrected so early on that those boxes do not exist anymore. Somebody please help!!

I don't know the case # for the Johnson error, it was completely corrected way before the Ripkens. I have an insane collection of both cards and have never seen a nonaltered version of the Ripken whiteout or the Johnson clear sign. I also know most of the guys with insane collections of both and not a single one of them has pulled either from a pack.

On the Ripken whiteout the top collectors don't even agree on what is real and what is fake. I know for a fact that PSA and Beckett has graded many obvious altered cards.

As for the Boggs, I have been hording it since the beginning and have 3 total. I pack pulled 1, a friend pack pulled 1 he gave me about a year ago, and I got 1 from a guy on the BO forum. Besides those 3 I have only seen maybe 3 others total.

bnorth 09-24-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximus35 (Post 1703769)

Do you have all 3 versions of the Johnson Green Scribble? There is a version with just the black blob that covers the word Marlboro. There is a version with the blob plus a black bar through the middle of the blob. Then there is a version with just the black bar through the word Marlboro. On the last version you can clearly see the tops of the letters l and b. The last one was by far the hardest version for me to find. It took me a couple years to track one down.

Hatorade 09-25-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1703797)
Do you have all 3 versions of the Johnson Green Scribble? There is a version with just the black blob that covers the word Marlboro. There is a version with the blob plus a black bar through the middle of the blob. Then there is a version with just the black bar through the word Marlboro. On the last version you can clearly see the tops of the letters l and b. The last one was by far the hardest version for me to find. It took me a couple years to track one down.

I think Fleer actually made 2 different attempts(possibly more) of the "black scribble/green scribble" cards. Within each attempt the cards can be found with very little green tinting up to a large amount of green tinting. You can read the Marlboro on the lightly tinted cards and as the cards get more tinting the Marlboro becomes indistinguishable.

jacksoncoupage 10-09-2017 11:35 PM

Not mine, and definitely not a "green tint." The graders are really all over the place with these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Fleer-R...YAAOSwlp1Z2~gV

Hatorade 02-13-2018 12:10 PM

Images

I created a Flickr album to post images of all the 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson error cards we’ve collected. There are about 150 images in there so far and I hope to have all the images(over 1000) in there before we reach the 30th anniversary of these cards being released. Having access to this number of cards has helped me form some opinions on these cards and I wanted to share that opportunity with others.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rjmarlborocatalog/

bnorth 02-13-2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatorade (Post 1747693)
I created a Flickr album to post images of all the 1989 Fleer Randy Johnson error cards we’ve collected. There are about 150 images in there so far and I hope to have all the images(over 1000) in there before we reach the 30th anniversary of these cards being released. Having access to this number of cards has helped me form some opinions on these cards and I wanted to share that opportunity with others.

Would love to hear your opinions on these cards. I own a few hundred myself.:D

jacksoncoupage 02-13-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatorade (Post 1747693)

This is really cool. Thanks!

Hatorade 02-14-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1747719)
Would love to hear your opinions on these cards. I own a few hundred myself.:D

My plan is to get most of the images on there, add descriptions and then sort the albums by variation type. I’m hoping by sorting them that way it will help highlight the similarities and difference in the cards.
I’ve hit a little snafu in uploading to Flickr. When we first started scanning the cards we used low resolution scans in bmp format. Once we started using 600 dpi those files started getting larger so we moved over to pdf format to help with file sizes. I’ve uploaded all the bmp files we had to Flickr, but Flickr won’t let you upload pdf files so now I need to convert the files to a format that is compatible there.
I also plan on posting all the information we have about the cards and my theories on the variations. We created a database of the cards we have to track some of the features on them that change. We still have another 500 cards to scan and load into the database, so I have some work to do, but I’m excited to share this info.

mrdbrooks77 02-15-2018 12:14 AM

This is great, thank you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bnorth 02-24-2018 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatorade (Post 1747944)
My plan is to get most of the images on there, add descriptions and then sort the albums by variation type. I’m hoping by sorting them that way it will help highlight the similarities and difference in the cards.
I’ve hit a little snafu in uploading to Flickr. When we first started scanning the cards we used low resolution scans in bmp format. Once we started using 600 dpi those files started getting larger so we moved over to pdf format to help with file sizes. I’ve uploaded all the bmp files we had to Flickr, but Flickr won’t let you upload pdf files so now I need to convert the files to a format that is compatible there.
I also plan on posting all the information we have about the cards and my theories on the variations. We created a database of the cards we have to track some of the features on them that change. We still have another 500 cards to scan and load into the database, so I have some work to do, but I’m excited to share this info.

I found this blank back fantasy superfractor today while cleaning up my card room. If you would like it for your collection PM me your address and I will send it to you.

Can't wait for you to finish your project and share your info.:)