Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   The Rolling Stones Announce 2019 US Tour (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262351)

RichardSimon 11-19-2018 03:08 PM

The Rolling Stones Announce 2019 US Tour

APRIL 2019

20 – Hard Rock Stadium MIAMI, FL

24 – TIAA Bank Field JACKSONVILLE, FL

28 – NRG Stadium HOUSTON, TX

MAY 2019

07 – State Farm Stadium GLENDALE, AZ

11 – The Rose Bowl PASADENA, CA

18 – Levi’s Stadium SANTA CLARA, CA

22 – CenturyLink Field SEATTLE, WA

26 – Broncos Stadium At Mile High DENVER, CO

31 – FedExField WASHINGTON, DC

JUNE 2019

04 – Lincoln Financial Field PHILADELPHIA, PA

08 – Gillette Stadium FOXBOROUGH, MA

13 – MetLife Stadium EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ

21 – Soldier Field CHICAGO, IL

mcgwirecom 11-23-2018 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm hoping to score some seats for Philly.

Snapolit1 11-26-2018 07:00 PM

Everyone has those unpopular opinions that other people recoil at.

My No. 1 unpopular music opinion of all time is that the Rolling Stones are the most overrated rock and roll act of all time. Uninteresting musically and largely a poor replica of many acts (mostly black R&B acts) that came before them.

There. I've said it. I feel better already. If I never hear Start Me Up ever again all will be good.

HRBAKER 11-26-2018 09:14 PM

Love them up until about 1980 or so, the last 40 years has been largely about printing money IMO. You gotta hand it to them at their age touring though. Last time I saw them was on the Steel Wheels tour. I'm good.

KCRfan1 11-27-2018 08:45 PM

Didn't the Stones have their " farewell " tour in '81 or '82?

NiceDocter 11-27-2018 11:06 PM

Getting an OD already

Man since that tour was announced they have been bombing us with ads all over the TV.... and you thought election month spam was annoying! Im seeing those giant lips with the tongue hanging out in my sleep!

Snapolit1 11-28-2018 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDocter (Post 1830654)
Man since that tour was announced they have been bombing us with ads all over the TV.... and you thought election month spam was annoying! Im seeing those giant lips with the tongue hanging out in my sleep!

It is truly remarkable how many of these 70 year olds are still doing it. I've seen McCartney and Todd Rundgren in the last year, and they have way more energy that I seemingly have 20 years younger. When I was a kid people who were in their earlier 60s wore heavy black coats and barely seemed like they could move. Were on the launch pad ready for the next journey. Slam the modern medical industry all you want, there has been a stunning change in society in the last three decades.

Huysmans 11-28-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1830272)
Everyone has those unpopular opinions that other people recoil at.

My No. 1 unpopular music opinion of all time is that the Rolling Stones are the most overrated rock and roll act of all time. Uninteresting musically and largely a poor replica of many acts (mostly black R&B acts) that came before them.

There. I've said it. I feel better already. If I never hear Start Me Up ever again all will be good.

And where are those supposedly superior R&B acts today?
When comments like this are made, people seem to forget that without groups like the Rolling Stones, a lot of the music that might have influenced them - otherwise long forgotten - would remain so.

If you think 1950s R&B groups (one trick ponies) are more "interesting musically" than the Stones and their considerable catalog, with all due respect, it's like saying 1981 Donruss cards are more attractive and rarer than '33 Goudeys.

There, I've said it. I feel better already. :D
And I'm no fan of Start Me Up.... but it is world's above most R&B tunes... especially modern examples.

.... this was not done to upset 1981 Donruss fans. :)

Snapolit1 11-28-2018 02:07 PM

Opinions are just opinions. Not right and not wrong. Just one person's opinion.

Yes Stones were an excellent band in their early days for a period of years and have a place in modern rock history. I think they have been completely irrelevant for decades. That's my opinion.

I have heard many people say the Beatles are overrated. I think that's about nonsensical a sentence as anyone could ever utter. Everyone has an opinion.

barrysloate 11-28-2018 05:34 PM

I think the Stones were best when Brian Jones was in the band, at least when he was contributing. He was their most talented musician, until drugs sucked the life out of him. I also think his replacement, Mick Taylor, was superb and gave the band an amazing sound. But he wasn't the right fit and left on his own.

I don't the Stones ever captured their early spirit once Ronnie Woods joined. I know he's an accomplished guitarist, but the band lost their edge. Personally, I think it's time for them to retire. They can still put on a good show, but how many times can they play Satisfaction and Gimme Shelter? It's getting old, and it's okay to say enough is enough. Of course it's their decision, not mine.

I saw them in 1972 and 1981, both times at Madison Square Garden.

Bocabirdman 11-28-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1830968)
I think the Stones were best when Brian Jones was in the band, at least when he was contributing. He was their most talented musician, until drugs sucked the life out of him. I also think his replacement, Mick Taylor, was superb and gave the band an amazing sound. But he wasn't the right fit and left on his own.

I don't the Stones ever captured their early spirit once Ronnie Woods joined. I know he's an accomplished guitarist, but the band lost their edge. Personally, I think it's time for them to retire. They can still put on a good show, but how many times can they play Satisfaction and Gimme Shelter? It's getting old, and it's okay to say enough is enough. Of course it's their decision, not mine.

I saw them in 1972 and 1981, both times at Madison Square Garden.

I was all set to give my opinion but Barry, you beat me to it.

Ron Woods should have stayed with Rod Stewart.

Some Girls is the last Stones album I bought, also the last tour that I saw. Neither stacked up against the Jones/Taylor work.

barrysloate 11-28-2018 06:29 PM

I have a complete run of LP's from the Brian Jones era, 1964-69, plus several with Mick Taylor. I don't think I bought another Stones album after 1972.

icollectDCsports 12-05-2018 07:42 PM

I've seen them in concert several times. I will likely pass this time because I just don't like stadium concerts that much.

insidethewrapper 12-06-2018 04:48 PM

I've seen Paul McCartney several times and at age 76 he is still filled with energy. I can't believe he still puts on a 3 hour show , with over 30 songs. I also seen The Beatles in 1966. I wonder how many more years are left for these guys. My dad stated at age 80 it really hits you, that is when he stopped playing softball.

rjackson44 12-07-2018 12:54 PM

Saw them at the beacon ,,they are the best .no one close

bbcard1 12-07-2018 01:48 PM

KISS is back for a final swing. I saw them at 16, 36 and 56 and loved them every time. I'll probably catch a show on their tour. Possibly the Stones as well.

Snapolit1 12-09-2018 04:25 PM

[QUOTE=insidethewrapper;1833518]I've seen Paul McCartney several times and at age 76 he is still filled with energy. I can't believe he still puts on a 3 hour show , with over 30 songs. I also seen The Beatles in 1966. I wonder how many more years are left for these guys. My dad stated at age 80 it really hits you, that is when he stopped

Many people fall off a cliff at 80. Sad but true. Rapid decline all of a sudden. Sad but I guess that’s the gig.

mark evans 12-13-2018 06:27 PM

A bit off-topic, but I fail to see the attraction of concerts at outdoor stadiums. Indoor basketball arenas (20,000) I can understand but football stadiums where you can barely see the musicians, I just don't get it.

Runscott 12-17-2018 08:58 PM

I saw them in 1981 and 1994. The 1981 concert was INCREDIBLE - easily the best concert I've ever been to. The 1994 show was pretty much horrible.

But...when I heard they were going to be in Seattle on my birthday, how could I not get tickets? So I've got great seats and my girlfriend will get to see the Stones for the first time. So what if they are 77 years old? uhhh, wait a minute - anyone want to buy some tickets? :(

Runscott 12-17-2018 08:59 PM

[QUOTE=Snapolit1;1834468]
Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 1833518)
I've seen Paul McCartney several times and at age 76 he is still filled with energy. I can't believe he still puts on a 3 hour show , with over 30 songs. I also seen The Beatles in 1966. I wonder how many more years are left for these guys. My dad stated at age 80 it really hits you, that is when he stopped

Many people fall off a cliff at 80. Sad but true. Rapid decline all of a sudden. Sad but I guess that’s the gig.

Steve, Keith is only 77. How many of us expected him to make it to 40?

barrysloate 12-18-2018 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1837257)
I saw them in 1981 and 1994. The 1981 concert was INCREDIBLE - easily the best concert I've ever been to. The 1994 show was pretty much horrible.

But...when I heard they were going to be in Seattle on my birthday, how could I not get tickets? So I've got great seats and my girlfriend will get to see the Stones for the first time. So what if they are 77 years old? uhhh, wait a minute - anyone want to buy some tickets? :(

I saw them in 1981, at MSG. Probably part of the same tour.

Snapolit1 12-18-2018 06:52 AM

[QUOTE=Runscott;1837259]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1834468)

Steve, Keith is only 77. How many of us expected him to make it to 40?

Not many. I hear he's sober now too.