Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   NFL is now the WWE (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=264821)

PowderedH2O 01-20-2019 04:49 PM

NFL is now the WWE

How can the NFL justify the officiating in the NFC Championship Game? In 3 consecutive drives: 1) Missed an obvious pass interference which forced the Saints to punt 2) Missed a facemask on Goff that would have given the Rams a crucial first down on the one 3) Missed the most obvious pass interference in history which cost the Saints the game.

I am so disgusted with it I am not even watching the second game nor the Super Bowl. What's the point? Hmmmm, LA has 15 times the market of New Orleans. Who do you think the NFL wants in the game?

Lorewalker 01-20-2019 05:00 PM

I'm a Rams fan and that was just not a legit win. Pathetic missed PI call on the Rams which would have ended the game. There was another missed PI call against the Rams earlier in the 4th too and as mentioned the Goff face mask.

NO played a better game to boot. Happy Rams are going to the SB but would have rather watched them win this one on their own or without the refs missing such an obvious and crucial play.

Jim65 01-20-2019 05:34 PM

That was as bad as I have seen, I understand they can't look at every play but when its so crucial and as obvious, there has to be a way correct the error.

savedfrommyspokes 01-20-2019 08:19 PM

Not much better officiating in the second game....phantom roughing the passer call in the 4th qtr against KC, certainly did not help. Guess the NFL got their east coast/west coast, large media market game. Going to be hard to watch the SB in light of the convenient officiating in both of today's games.

AGuinness 01-20-2019 10:29 PM

I’m not a football guy any more, but one of my favorite sayings about the NFL was, “play better than the refs ref.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VintageVinnie 01-21-2019 03:43 AM

That was a head scratching no call on what was CLEARLY pass interference by the Rams. Even my non football watching wife called it! But give the Rams credit, they fought hard in a hostile environment and put themselves in a position to win. Tough to be a Saints fan. First the Minneapolis Miracle, now this.

bnorth 01-21-2019 06:34 AM

I have come to the sad realization that all sports are like the WWE. Pretty much everything in life is like the WWE including this hobby.

Usually when someone tries to point out the "special" treatment the benefactors of that treatment make up every excuse imaginable. It is very funny to watch/read once you get over the fact how rigged things really are.

Hot Springs Bathers 01-21-2019 08:05 AM

For the NFL to be the most powerful sports league they sure have some flaws. Why they can't OT right is beyond me? Each team should at least have the opportunity to have the ball once on OT. A coin flip decides the game?

PowderedH2O 01-21-2019 08:15 AM

Ben, I have spent the morning thinking about this. In the 4 major team sports here is what I see:

NFL: Refs calls decide everything. You can call holding or pass interference on almost every play. They do it arbitrarily. Or is it?

NBA: Decades of questionable calls. One referee even admitted to it, and everyone looks at him as the outcast. Really? I saw decades of calls go in favor of Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, etc.

NHL: Guys are hitting each other constantly, yet only certain times are penalties called.

MLB: One umpire literally decides the game by controlling the strike zone, which cannot be challenged.

I have been a diehard sports junkie for 50 years. But this might be the last straw. The officiating decides too many games, and more often than not it favors the big market team. Rams over Saints, Bulls over Jazz, Lakers over Kings, etc. It might be time to free myself from sports and spend the hours a week I spend watching games, listening to sports talk radio, and collecting sports stuff.

Snapolit1 01-21-2019 09:32 AM

Brady specifically and Pats generally will get every conceivable close call. You can bank on that.

steve B 01-21-2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1847535)
Brady specifically and Pats generally will get every conceivable close call. You can bank on that.

Yeah, about that.... The only way I see a ref calling holding or interference on whoever is covering Gronk is if the guy actually lugs a saddle into the huddle so he can have a comfy ride.

On the interference call in the end zone, what they missed was the pushing off the receiver did as he made the cut that got him open.

During the season I keep hearing the analysts say that the pushing motion with the arm going straight will always get called. Nope, not yesterday.

Peter_Spaeth 01-21-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

So why was Belichick so pissed at the refs that he threw his tablet twice?

As Steve says, Gronk is basically assaulted on every pass route, very rarely is it called. There were some ticky tack calls on the Pats' secondary yesterday too.

frankbmd 01-21-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1847698)
So why was Belichick so pissed at the refs that he threw his tablet twice?

As Steve says, Gronk is basically assaulted on every pass route, very rarely is it called. There were some ticky tack calls on the Pats' secondary yesterday too.

He threw the tablet because it was a "Surface" and not an "iPad".:D:D

PowderedH2O 01-22-2019 03:33 AM

I can't comment on that, because I was so disgusted after the Saints-Rams game that I turned the tv off and my wife and I worked on a jigsaw puzzle. We won't watch the Super Bowl either.

Fuddjcal 01-22-2019 09:26 AM

NFL has been the WWE since it was called the WWF. That's how long it's been just a disgusting pre-scripted exhibition and nothing more. They were a joke laughing stalk way before this fiasco... and they were 10 face masks and helmets to helmets not called this weekend. It's a J O K E Period

bnorth 01-22-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

I agree, it was like all those strike calls Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz got that were way outside.

I am sure all the Pats and Braves fans will disagree with us though.:D

Orioles1954 01-22-2019 10:19 AM

I've always claimed that the WWE is the most legit of any major sport. At least they state up front that it's "sports entertainment."

Peter_Spaeth 01-22-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1847823)
I agree, it was like all those strike calls Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz got that were way outside.

I am sure all the Pats and Braves fans will disagree with us though.:D

Pedro got those calls too, but I don't think it had anything to do with favoritism, it was skill and artistry. Great pitchers know how to expand the strike zone.

I am not buying the conspiracy theories that the officials are told from on high who to favor.

Michael B 01-22-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Specious statement at best. I agree that the call against #95 of the Chiefs for qb interference in the fourth quarter was not a good call. However, the refs completely ignored two blatant penalties in the same quarter. The obvious pass interference against Gronkowski which was pointed out by Romo/Nance. The other one was completely missed and not mentioned by anyone: The second Brady interception that went off the hands of Edelman. After it went off of Edelman's hands he ran about 5 yards and was knocked down by a hit to the head by a Chief's player. That should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty of 15 yards with it being assessed from the point of infraction. The back judge should have caught that one.

If they were giving the Pats a break they would not have called 3 penalties against Jackson? (rookie db from U/Maryland) so readily.

I am not even much of a football fan (they don't pay me). My wife likes the Pats/Brady so I casually watch and explain a lot of the game to her.

mq711 01-22-2019 11:38 AM

The main problem with the refs is they are a bunch of old men trying to keep up with some of the best athletes in the world. They constantly prove they are unable to monitor the game as needed thus I would either go younger and more athletic or have a third of the refs make calls from the press box. No excuses for getting so many obvious calls wrong.

Peter_Spaeth 01-22-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1847839)
Specious statement at best. I agree that the call against #95 of the Chiefs for qb interference in the fourth quarter was not a good call. However, the refs completely ignored two blatant penalties in the same quarter. The obvious pass interference against Gronkowski which was pointed out by Romo/Nance. The other one was completely missed and not mentioned by anyone: The second Brady interception that went off the hands of Edelman. After it went off of Edelman's hands he ran about 5 yards and was knocked down by a hit to the head by a Chief's player. That should have been an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty of 15 yards with it being assessed from the point of infraction. The back judge should have caught that one.

If they were giving the Pats a break they would not have called 3 penalties against Jackson? (rookie db from U/Maryland) so readily.

I am not even much of a football fan (they don't pay me). My wife likes the Pats/Brady so I casually watch and explain a lot of the game to her.

I thought one of the calls on Jackson was right but the last one in particular was really weak. It's tough because you could call holding on every single play and pass interference on most plays, as a ref you really have to limit yourself to blatant ones or outcome determinative ones.

samosa4u 01-22-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1847836)

I am not buying the conspiracy theories that the officials are told from on high who to favor.

And neither am I.

I didn't watch the Saints/Rams game, however, I did see the highlights and that hit in the end was pretty bad. I was surprised no call was made. However, it's silly to suggest that the NFL had something to do with this. I'm pretty sure the Saints had the whole entire game to score more points, but they failed to do so.

Tom Brady is going to his 27th Super Bowl, and football fans across the country are throwing up because everyone is sick to death of that man! I'm pretty sure the guys who run the league are sick of him too! But what can they do about it? You could be beating his team with only 0.02 seconds left on the clock and he'll still find a way to win.

bnorth 01-24-2019 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Seen this and figured it would fit right in.:D

xplainer 01-26-2019 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Slow motion shows this.

familytoad 01-26-2019 06:47 PM

Commish awakes...

This just in :

Goodell finally woke up to comment on the Saints game.
He says he didn’t understand the controversy.

His statement claims the balls were properly inflated and the old quarterback for the black and gold team wouldn’t be suspended. Then he said there would be 4 more games in London and Mexico City scheduled for next year. Very exciting news.:cool:

HRBAKER 01-26-2019 09:09 PM

I'm pretty sure the reason the PI wasn't called is that the league had asked Brady who he wanted to play in the SB and he said, "The Rams."