Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   365 Days of Roberto Clemente (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249493)

docpatlv 12-31-2017 08:51 AM

365 Days of Roberto Clemente

As a player collector, I have enjoyed seeing threads devoted to one person's passion for collecting a particular player, such as David W's Lou Brock collection. It surprises me that we don't see more threads like this, so I thought I'd start one on my favorite post-war player to collect.

Why Roberto? When I started collecting in the mid 1970s, I traded cards with other kids at school during recess. I remember a classmate bragging that he had a Roberto Clemente card, but I had no idea who he was. When my Dad came home from work that day, I asked him if Roberto was a good player. I remember him telling me how he was a great all-around player and that he died in a tragic plane crash. I tried several times to trade for that Clemente, but I was never able to pry it out of my classmate's hands. A few years later, at my first card show, my Dad bought me my first Clemente card (1968 Topps) along with a Mantle and Mays from the same year.

I didn't start seriously collecting RC until the early 90's. In the beginning I wasn't too concerned with condition and for the most part I'm still not. So you won't see any PSA 9's, but hopefully over the course of the next year you'll see some items that you haven't seen before. I will post things randomly to mix it up a bit and, for the most part, post items from his playing days, although there will be some newer items I like. Hope you enjoy.

Day 1

To start things off, on my birthday this year, my oldest daughter asked my neighbor (an amateur painter) to create this painting for me. I wanted to pick a symbolic photo of him so I picked Roberto tipping his cap after his 3,00th hit. I think the result is incredible especially since my neighbor said she doesn't really paint in detail. It's water color on artist's paper using only 4 pigments.

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...intingSM11.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...intingSM21.JPG

quitcrab 12-31-2017 09:24 AM

Love the painting. The artist did a great job. I am a HS art teacher. A+. I also love the idea for a Clemente thread. What a great player and role model. I am sure a lot if great pieces will be posted. I love the odd ball Clemente cards.

OsFan 12-31-2017 09:31 AM

Agreed I love following DBesse27 Yaz thread. The Brock thread is great too. Personally I’d like to see someone do a Brooks Robinson, maybe Mark70Z. I have the feeling he has a killer B. Robinson collection.

Definitely looking forward to following this Clemente thread.

CW 12-31-2017 10:05 AM

Also enjoyed seeing the painting. I'll be checking into this thread, and will also be impressed that you have 365 different Clemente items to show.

Mark70Z 12-31-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OsFan (Post 1734264)
Agreed I love following DBesse27 Yaz thread. The Brock thread is great too. Personally I’d like to see someone do a Brooks Robinson, maybe Mark70Z. I have the feeling he has a killer B. Robinson collection.

Definitely looking forward to following this Clemente thread.

I’m not the best person with the computer thing, and I don’t have a scanner. My pictures that I’m posting currently are too small and I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but it’s something. If I can get the picture thing better I can give it a shot at a Brooks thread, something like Brock, Yaz and there’s one on Mantle. I’m with the OP that I love threads like that no matter who the player is that’s posted. By the way I have a decent Brooks collection, but there are far better out there I’m sure. I don’t think I can do one that’s everyday, but I sure look forward to the one on Clemente that’s for sure!

David W 12-31-2017 11:04 AM

I can't wait to see what you have

Mark70Z 12-31-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docpatlv (Post 1734247)
As a player collector, I have enjoyed seeing threads devoted to one person's passion for collecting a particular player, such as David W's Lou Brock collection. It surprises me that we don't see more threads like this, so I thought I'd start one on my favorite post-war player to collect.

Why Roberto? When I started collecting in the mid 1970s, I traded cards with other kids at school during recess. I remember a classmate bragging that he had a Roberto Clemente card, but I had no idea who he was. When my Dad came home from work that day, I asked him if Roberto was a good player. I remember him telling me how he was a great all-around player and that he died in a tragic plane crash. I tried several times to trade for that Clemente, but I was never able to pry it out of my classmate's hands. A few years later, at my first card show, my Dad bought me my first Clemente card (1968 Topps) along with a Mantle and Mays from the same year.

I didn't start seriously collecting RC until the early 90's. In the beginning I wasn't too concerned with condition and for the most part I'm still not. So you won't see any PSA 9's, but hopefully over the course of the next year you'll see some items that you haven't seen before. I will post things randomly to mix it up a bit and, for the most part, post items from his playing days, although there will be some newer items I like. Hope you enjoy.

Day 1

To start things off, on my birthday this year, my oldest daughter asked my neighbor (an amateur painter) to create this painting for me. I wanted to pick a symbolic photo of him so I picked Roberto tipping his cap after his 3,00th hit. I think the result is incredible especially since my neighbor said she doesn't really paint in detail. It's water color on artist's paper using only 4 pigments.

I’m like you in that I enjoy viewing others player collections and the passion they have for the particular player. I also enjoy hearing the reason they ultimately chose the player they collect. Thanks for giving some background on why you chose Clemente; he’s a great one.

I can’t answer why other people don’t post their player collections, but for me it’s mainly the computer thing; just not good at it. With some help I may give it a try with a Brooks Robinson thread.

Sure do look forward to viewing 364 more Clemente items!

docpatlv 12-31-2017 11:28 AM

Thanks for the kind words fellas. I just wanted to add that I realized a long time ago that I will never have everything. I’m perfectly fine with losing out on items, whereas in the past it would have bothered me. Once I had kids, my priorities changed. I’m happy picking up pieces here and there nowadays.

docpatlv 01-01-2018 10:47 AM

Day 2

Happy New Year!

This next item was always a Holy Grail piece of memorabilia for me. One of the items I really wanted when I was younger. I purchased it at one of the old Fort Washington shows probably close to 20 years ago. It's in great shape, the only problems are a small defect in the "E" in Pirates and the signature decal. It seems as though when it was applied, the right side folded over. Other than that, no cracks or chips. Really tough nodder to find in nice condition.

1962 Bobbin' Head

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...1962Nodder.jpg

docpatlv 01-02-2018 08:57 AM

Day 3

I purchased this photo in 1996 from Ed Dolan's Baseball Fanatic Super Store in New Jersey. When I brought it home later that day I remember my girlfriend (now my wife) saying..."You spent HOW much on that photo?!?!?"

But to me, it was well worth it, as this might be my favorite Roberto item. Nice, large signature which is much more bold when viewing in person. Not sure why the sig appears lighter in the photo. Personalized "To Dick", unfortunately that's not my name although I'm sure I've been called one on more than one occasion:)

1960s Roberto Clemente signed photo.

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...gnedPhoto1.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/docpatl...to1Closeup.jpg