Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PCL Collectors & fans (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=112477)

oaks1912 05-20-2009 06:04 PM

PCL Collectors & fans

On Friday May 22, an exhibit on the History of the Pacific Coast League, 1903-1957 will begin a 6 month run at the San Francisco International Airport. This exhibit will be the largest public display of authentic Pacific Coast League artifacts since "Runs, Hits and An Era" toured several West Coast cities about 15 years ago. More than 250 artifacts will be on display including uniforms, awards, pennants, cards and other memorabilia. The display is located in the International Terminal, prior to entering the 'ticketed passenger' area and is free of charge. Bay Area residents or visitors can access the airport via BART or car, 24 hours a day through Thanksgiving. Several collectors have collaborated on this exhibit and many of these artifacts have never been displayed publicly. Each of the eight 'key' cities are represented with their own showcase.

dstudeba 05-21-2009 08:04 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for the information Mark! For those of us who can't go that close to Canada will the exhibition eventually travel down South?

three25hits 05-21-2009 08:09 AM

This is good reason to find a way to SF at some point.

Dan, they let motorcycles in SF, no?

baseballart 05-21-2009 08:19 AM

Mark

Hope to make it to Seattle for the WSSC show, and down to SF in August for the PCL get together. The exhibit sounds great.

Max

Dan

If you have a 900 mile exclusion zone to approach Canada, then I strongly suggest you get rid of all your Canadian cards to a Canadian, starting with those ugly handcut ones :D

Max

dstudeba 05-21-2009 08:29 AM

If I took my motorcycle I would never get past Santa Barbara.

Quote:

Originally Posted by baseballart (Post 725025)
Dan

If you have a 900 mile exclusion zone to approach Canada, then I strongly suggest you get rid of all your Canadian cards to a Canadian, starting with those ugly handcut ones :D

Max

Max, I completely agree! I sent them to Elliot a few months ago and told him to split them with you. You didn't get them?

Bill Stone 05-21-2009 09:12 AM

I hope someone can post some photos for those of us who might not make it there. I love the early pennants from the PCL.

oaks1912 05-21-2009 09:28 AM

Dan....The exhibit will NOT be traveling to other West Coast cities this time around. The SF Airport Museum will have an illustrated brochure / booklet which accompanies the exhibit. That will ONLY be distributed at the Airport Guest Services counters, located throughout the airport. From what I'm told that brochure will not be released until sometime in June....Max, it will be great to see you in Seattle next week...I'm going to stop by Jerry's place as I understand he's having another "walk-in" sale like he did a few weeks ago.. :)

dstudeba 05-21-2009 10:20 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Mark, guess I will have to get my passport out.

deadballera 05-21-2009 10:23 AM

Thanks for the info Mark.

Todd

ullmandds 05-21-2009 12:06 PM

Awesome...it just so happens I am going to SF for 10 days in 2 weeks to celebrate my 40th birthday...I'll take pics if someone doesn't sooner.

pete in mn

baseballart 05-21-2009 12:32 PM

Mark

Who's Jerry? A one pitch pitcher for the Mariners? I'm confused, which is easy to do.

Max

Kawika 09-02-2009 11:40 PM

Calling Mark Macrae

Does anyone know when this exhibit concludes? The SFO Arts website only says it ends in October but does not specify a date. TIA

oaks1912 09-03-2009 10:36 AM

Less than 2 months left

David.... The exhibit is scheduled to end on November 1st. The illustrated brochure was released last month and is only available at the airport's Aviation Museum and by asking a docent. The brochure is worth the effort and will not be sold. On Saturday October 3rd, there will be a gathering for players, fans and the general public followed by a docent led tour of the exhibit. Seating is limited and will require advanced reservations....

Kawika 09-03-2009 03:07 PM

Mark: Thanks very much for the info. We (me, my wife and Bruce) are planning a Cal game junket to the mainland in October and I am now secure in the knowledge that I will get to see the PCL exhibit. I saw a copy of the brochure at the Vancouver SABR BBQ the other week and I gotta say it looks like a real barnburner.

Bill Stone 09-05-2009 08:30 AM

Does anyone know if there are any PCL team pennants in the exhibit ? I am especially interested in knowing if there are any Hollywood pennants. Thanks.

sayhey24 09-05-2009 10:32 AM

PCL Display Photos

I don't know how to move the link into this thread, but if you just search the word "airport" here on Net54baseball, you'll find a thread posted on the memorabilia side by Brockjacob with incredible photos of the PCL SF Airport display.

Greg

Leon 09-05-2009 11:13 AM

here is the link

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhey24 (Post 747926)
I don't know how to move the link into this thread, but if you just search the word "airport" here on Net54baseball, you'll find a thread posted on the memorabilia side by Brockjacob with incredible photos of the PCL SF Airport display.

Greg

here is the link, taken from the other side, that shows the display

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redtimm...7621868698222/

Kawika 09-05-2009 11:28 AM

Bill: Here are some scans from the exhibit catalog that show the Hollywood portion without the Flicker glare.
http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgall...og/DMcD531.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgall...og/DMcD532.jpg

oaks1912 09-05-2009 12:49 PM

Bill.... There are a total of 7 PCL pennants on display, including the Hollywood Stars pennant shown above (Thanks David for posting the program image). A gathering, lunch and docent led tour will be held at the San Francisco Airport on Saturday October 3, from 11AM-2PM. Seating is limited to 120 guests. Advanced reservations are required. Tickets will NOT be available at the door. Those interested can email me privately for further info.

Bill Stone 09-05-2009 04:14 PM

Thank you so much --that is a fantastic display !!