Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cooperstown Show this weekend (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=114122)

tedzan 07-15-2009 08:21 AM

Cooperstown Show this weekend

Come one, come all.....to the Cooperstown BB card show.....an annual event since 1980.
It's at the VFW building, which is diagonally across the street from BaseBall Hall of Fame.

22 dealers with an eclectic assortment of vintage sports cards and memorabilia for sale.

FREE admission and show times are......

Friday 7/24....10 AM - 7 PM

Saturday 7/25....9 AM - 7PM (live Auction follows Sat. eve show)

Sunday 7/26....2 PM....HOF Induction ceremony (Joe Gordon, Ricky Henderson, Jim Rice)

I'll be set-up with many pre-war cards (300+ T206's, etc.) and a complete 1949 Bowman
set for sale.

Hope to see you all in the idyllic village of Cooperstown

TED Z

yanks12025 07-15-2009 10:53 AM

Ted,
Do you know what type of items are in the auction. I live a hour from Cooperstown and think i may make the drive up for Friday or Saturday. Does it get really packed on a Friday of Induction week.

tedzan 07-15-2009 07:43 PM

Cooperstown Show

Friday usually is not too crowded. Most people arrive on Saturday. But, you never really know,
as it varies from year to year.

The auction on Saturday evening is sort of a spontaneous event where lots are provided by the
dealers during that day. By 7 PM the auction lots are on display for the public.

Drop by....depending on what you collect, I think you'll find it wortwhile.

TED Z

mikeycook 07-16-2009 09:29 AM

Can't thank you enough for the suggestion. Will definitely plan to make the show AND the auction. :)

tedzan 07-19-2009 07:08 AM

Cooperstown Show on HOF w/e (7/24 - 7/25)

I forgot to mention that Tony Kubek is also being inducted into tht HOF as Sports broadcaster.

A great chance every year to get to meet many great BB players......there will be about 50 HOFer's
in Cooperstown. And, many great BB players that are not in the HOF that you can just meet walking
down Main Street in Cooperstown.

And, do drop in to the VFW building for a nice selection of BB cards, or just Talking BaseBall.

TED Z

tedzan 07-20-2009 09:48 AM

John Cook......et al

John....looking forward to meeting you.

Some additional bit of news regarding Cooperstown......

For those of you who enjoyed checking-out the vast number of vintage "goodies" in the National Pastime store
on Main St., sorry but it no longer exists.....very sad.

Also, unless they have re-stocked since last year, Mickey's Place no longer has a comprehensive selection of
vintage cards.

The BB card shop next to Doubleday Field is also gone....and, the little Sports store next to the former movie
theatre has sold all its vintage cards.

Times are changing....most likely all this vintage material is on Ebay now.

TED Z

mikeycook 07-22-2009 09:56 AM

Really a shame. Cooperstown should be Mecca for card collectors. Still looking forward to the show, the auction and, of course, the induction.

Not sure which I'm looking forward to more, seeing one of my boyhood idols (Rice) get elected or the possibility that Rickey might repeatedly refer to himself in the third person during his induction speech.

Just hope the rain can hold off for a while.

Jewish-collector 07-22-2009 10:27 AM

If it's a heavy rain that day, do they postpone it ?

bigtrain 07-22-2009 10:59 AM

Every effort is made to hold the festivities outside even in inclement weather.

mikeycook 07-22-2009 11:18 AM

I know there's a big tent for the inductees and dignitaries. Not sure about us regular schmos, though.

tedzan 07-22-2009 11:41 AM

I've been going to Cooperstown on HOF weekend since the early 1980's.

The weather in that area in late July is invariably warm, humid, and late afternoon thunderstorms.
The Good Lord looks over us every HOF Sunday afternoon.....as, only once in the past 26 years it
has rained on the day of the ceremonies.

That was 1991 when Rod Carew, Fergie Jenkins, Tony Lazzeri and Gaylord Perry were inducted.
That year they held the ceremonies in the school gymnasium.

See you there.

TED Z

tedzan 07-23-2009 07:48 AM

Last reminder for any of you that will be in Cooperstown this Hall of Fame weekend....do drop in the Show.
You cannot miss it, it's in the VFW building on Main Street, downtown Cooperstown.....admission is FREE.

And, you will find many of the HOFer's signing at the store fronts on Main St.

Reprising the Show hours......

Friday 7/24....10 AM - 7 PM

Saturday 7/25....9 AM - 7PM (live Auction follows Sat. eve show)

Sunday 7/26....2 PM....HOF ceremonies....Joe Gordon, Ricky Henderson, Jim Rice and Tony Kubek (Sportscaster)

I will be set-up with many pre-war cards (300+ T206's, etc.) and a complete 1949 Bowman set for sale.

Hope to see you all in the idyllic village of Cooperstown

TED Z

mikeycook 07-24-2009 09:43 AM

Ted,

Unfortunately had a change of plans. My traveling companion can't make it so between the long solo drive and weather, I decided not to come. Will try for the next Red Sox induction in a few years (I'm thinking Pedro).

Hope to meet you in the future.

Thanks,
John

sayhey24 07-25-2009 07:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I spent yesterday morning at the Cooperstown show -- great change of pace from the typical show -- not a lot of tables, but a real eclectic mix of stuff. Picked up quite a few things -- posting my two favorites -- a large vintage portrait photo ( 8x10) of Mickey Lalonge from several early sets including Zeenuts and Obaks. It looks even better in person.

Lots of early tobacco cards to be found, along with bats, gloves books and magazines.
Also posting two bats that came back from Cooperstown, but not from the show.

Best part of the show -- meeting Ted Z -- very nice man!

Greg

tedzan 07-27-2009 08:16 PM

Cooperstown Show this weekend

GREG

Thanks, it was really great meeting and chatting with you.

I had a great show selling, trading and acquiring several nice vintage BB cards this HOF weekend.

I talked with Yogi Berra, Jim Bunning and Roger Clemens. Clemens and his family were dining at the same
restaurant as we were. Roger was a really friendly guy and we got several photo shots with him and us.

TED Z

tedzan 07-28-2009 08:38 AM

John Cook

Sorry, you were not able to be there. Tons of Red Sox fans and some great conversations.
As I noted in my above post, we met Roger Clemens and had a nice visit with him.

Looking forward to seeing you at a future Cooperstown HOF weekend.

Best Regards,

TED Z

Northviewcats 07-28-2009 08:46 PM

Cooperstown Pick ups

1 Attachment(s)
Ted,

I love the white cap Matty.

Wish I had more money to spend, but I did pick up a nice Durham and Gandil and a beater Dahlen that will serve for now. I also picked up four autographs that I wanted for my Hall-of-Fame baseball collection.

It was a great vacation. My wife and always love to go to Cooperstown on Induction weekend. It's like baseball heaven.

Best,

Joe

baseballfan 07-29-2009 01:19 PM

how was he show? i missed the last 2 years but i was there whn ripken got in. that is a great little show i remmeber it back in the early 80's