Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else, Football, Non-Sports etc.. B/S/T (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Very Unique Mike Ditka item (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=122058)

stasman 03-24-2010 02:05 PM

Very Unique Mike Ditka item

I recently ran into the owner of Able Refuse Removal Service (Chicago, Ill), why is this interesting, WELL, a while back, Diana Ditka (Mike's wife) contaced his service to clean out their basement when Mike accepted the Saints head coach job. Diana told him to remove everything from the basement. After this guy cleaned out the basement, he returned to his shop and started looking over what he had legally removed. It was a ton of old Ditka memorabilia, game worn sweaters, helmets, plaques, video's etc. He then contacted a auction house who was very interested in his find. One cool item he had was the actual "play sheet" that Ditka carried on the sideline during the Superbowl. The auction company bought his items and listed them in their auction book (which I have and includes the story of how he obtained the items). The items sold for alot of money. He then showed me several items he DID NOT sell and 1 of them was Ditkas personal handwritten telephone book that contains the names and addresses of players (many HOFers), coaches, owners and family members. My favorite entry was WALTER PAYTON in South Barrington, Illinois . What a cool item, I had to have it. After some wheeling and dealing I purchased the telephone book and a Ditka award plaque that hung in his basement. Very cool stuff.....I just thought this was a cool story to share.....Now, do I sell this very unique Ditka item or keep it displayed...what do you think???

GrayGhost 03-24-2010 02:51 PM

IF you are a big fan of his keep it by all means. I wouldnt sell it unless you either need the money for finances, or for a purchase you would rather make. Great story, and that stuff never happens to me.

soxinseven 03-24-2010 05:57 PM

Great story. These are one of a kind items and I definitely would not sell them. I also would not let Ditka know that you have them...imagine the look on his face when he realized all that stuff had been basically given away!

stasman 03-24-2010 07:37 PM

It is a really cool thing, I wonder what its value is, this is the second time I have gotten lucky at our local flea market, I also found a dealer selling personal items belonging to Former Cub Bill Madlock, I bought some and called the cubs to see if they would reach out to Madlock and a cople days later Madlock called me saying he wanted them back nd would buy them, I told him I would give them to him for free, I met him at a local signing, he was so grateful, he signed 3 balls and my wrigley seat...

GrayGhost 03-25-2010 07:25 AM

That's pretty cool too Stasman.

I find it refreshing that even with so many scum in this hobby, there are a lot of good people too!

stasman 03-25-2010 08:39 AM

Thanks...Its a great hobby, but people have to remember that the athletes are just like you and me..how would you like your personal items out there. The Madlock one was in the paper, his wife divorced him and sold his items from a storage unit and the article said he did want them back and the Ditka items were also in the paper and it said he was aware of them being removed but did not want them back or any proceeds from the auction..I was torn if I should reach out to him about this becuase it does have alot of person info..adresses and phone numbers....I'm still on the fence over this one..