Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   pre world war 2 baseball action figures (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=123360)

milkit1 05-03-2010 01:04 PM

pre world war 2 baseball action figures

I have this dream of creating a line of baseball action figures. Unfortunately lack of sculpting and sewing skills keep me from making this happen. Anyways here is my idea:
Pre ww2 baseball action figures (hal chase, bobby Wallace, riggs Stephenson, etc.)
built like the old six inch GI Joe guys with movable limbs.
Have real wool uniforms.
Removable hats gloves bats etc.
Comes with a little reprint card (or better yet a miniature unopened box or pack that you can open and get a surprise card like a little sweet caporal box or cracker jack or unopened 1933 goudey pack.
Could have little stadiums that are sold at a premium.
I know mcfarland has made a few but I'm not crazy about them. Too much statue and not enough playability.
Of course this is a small market so the number produced and price per could be an issue.
Just seeing if I'm the only dork here into this. Looking for any and all feedback.

milkit1 05-03-2010 01:08 PM

Could also sell little stands for the action figure that would have a sleeve to display a vintage card. Would be a neat way to show off an old card.

Lordstan 05-03-2010 01:59 PM

Sean,
Cool idea.
Would the Chase come with the retractable arm that moves away when a ball is rolled at it? Perhaps a two pack with the rare companion gambler figure?
How about Cobb with detachable flying spikes?

Mark

milkit1 05-03-2010 02:48 PM

Mark
Love the retractable arm idea for chase! He could also come with a wallet full of money and a pool cue too! Also he could have the trophy from his t206 card too!
The sharpened spikes could be an accessory for players like kid elberfield and Joe medwick as well!
Mike donlin could have a tuxedo because he's going to a Broadway show.
Rube waddell could have little windup toys to keep him amused.
Ok how can we mke this happen?

milkit1 05-03-2010 02:50 PM

Maybe graig knows some sculptors?

milkit1 05-05-2010 09:34 AM

Ouch this topic went over like the hindenburg.

slidekellyslide 05-05-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkit1 (Post 805303)
Ouch this topic went over like the hindenburg.

Well, it's already been done. Kenner in the 1990s made baseball dolls in the old GI Joe 12" style and you can find them on ebay or at flea markets for less than the original retail price. Kids won't play with them, because...well they're dressed as baseball players and not superheroes or monsters....adult men won't collect them because they're dolls.

perezfan 05-05-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 805319)
Well, it's already been done. Kenner in the 1990s made baseball dolls in the old GI Joe 12" style and you can find them on ebay or at flea markets for less than the original retail price. Kids won't play with them, because...well they're dressed as baseball players and not superheroes or monsters....adult men won't collect them because they're dolls.

Even as an enthusiastic collector of Baseball Figurals, I agree with Dan... everything but the "Dolls" comment, that is! I can't come to call my beloved Hartlands "dolls"... they are statues or action figures! I do have one true doll in my collection... that Jackie Robinson childlike thing you see every so often. So some men DO collect dolls, I suppose.

Anyway, your idea is a tough concept... as Dan said, kids won't care about pre-war baseball players, and adults are more focused on the vintage (not modern) stuff. I don't know anyone who collects those new Hartlands, and the Starting Lineups are just so cheap looking and unattractive. Truly vintage figures carry lots of allure, but anything made currently is basically cheap looking garbage (except for some of the Danbury Mint stuff... they do have some very nicely done pieces if you're willing to lay out the cash).

milkit1 05-05-2010 01:28 PM

I disagree.

First off the original starting Lineup guys aren't all valuable but some have maintained value. I know because I can't get an 88 Utah jazz teamset for $25. The starting lineups (just like the macfarlane guys) had to be successful because they did them for years.
Secondly regarding market I covered that. I'm not talking mass distribution. I'm talking just enough to sell on websites like here it eBay. If done well I think they would have appeal even if somewhat small. If someone created the entire 1908 cubs at a reasonable price and looked good I'd buy them for sure.

slidekellyslide 05-05-2010 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wasn't really talking about the 4" Starting Lineup figures...I was talking about the dolls that Kenner made under the Starting Lineup brand. They didn't sell well at all and you can find them very cheap now.

These things: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_npm...tarting+lineup

I don't even consider the Hartlands to be dolls...they are statues. I don't don't disparage doll collectors either...in fact my mother makes them in a folk art style for me on a regular basis.

mr2686 05-05-2010 01:54 PM

mark me down for a 1919 blacksox team

milkit1 05-05-2010 02:51 PM

Neat! Maybe your mother could help with the uniform knitting in these guys. Wish I knew how to knit like that. She did a very good job!
Hoping graig will see this in hopes that maybe he knows some good sculptors.
I'm gonna see if I can post a poll on the main forum showing exactly what my product would be and see how many would buy one based on description and price. Who knows maybe with enough positive feedback I could find a company interested in doing it!

slidekellyslide 05-05-2010 02:56 PM

Sean, I'm a bit confused as to what size you want these to be. You said 6" GI Joe, but there never was a 6" Joe line. The original dolls were 12" from the 60s and 70s and the action figure line of the 80s was 3 3/4" size. Mego made a great line of dolls in the 70's that were 8" size...they ran the gamut from Superheroes, Planet of the Apes to Star Trek.

milkit1 05-05-2010 03:28 PM

I'm talking the same size as the 80s action figures though I'd be fine with an inch or two bigger. The key is the smallness and attention to detail. I also think having a little mini unopen pack would be cool to show the buyer somewhat what it was like to open say a sweet caporal pack (no ciggies included of course)

bijoem 05-05-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkit1 (Post 805381)
I disagree.

First off the original starting Lineup guys aren't all valuable but some have maintained value. I know because I can't get an 88 Utah jazz teamset for $25. The starting lineups (just like the macfarlane guys) had to be successful because they did them for years.
Secondly regarding market I covered that. I'm not talking mass distribution. I'm talking just enough to sell on websites like here it eBay. If done well I think they would have appeal even if somewhat small. If someone created the entire 1908 cubs at a reasonable price and looked good I'd buy them for sure.

I am pretty sure you will run into legal problems.
Unless you have some sort of written permission from MLB, the Players Association, and / or the players estate's?

You can't just make and market an item like this.

milkit1 05-05-2010 04:24 PM

Im wondering that as well. Does these fall into public domain? The likeness of a player dead for over 40 years? Might be able to get around MLB by not using players that would be in uniforms that show an emblem i.e. the 1900 cubs. Would an old emblem be considered copyrighted anyways? Would MLB be able to sue me if i am using a team that doesnt exist anymore? ok where is a copyright expert?

slidekellyslide 05-05-2010 05:11 PM

I would bet all of the defunct emblems are still copyrighted...if not by the teams them I'm sure by MLB. Also the deceased players may fall under the MLB Players Union or the family of certain players. IOW I'm sure you won't be able to make a Christy Mathewson figure without getting permission or paying for rights.

browns86 05-08-2010 11:52 AM

A company called CMG handles licensing rights for the estates of most pre-war ballplayers. They have a list on their web site.

milkit1 05-08-2010 12:35 PM

neat!
thanks for the heads up :)
Looks like mostly hall offamers. I wonder how to find out but non hall off fame players?