Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Calvin Johnson TD/No TD (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=127663)

Abravefan11 09-12-2010 07:57 PM

Calvin Johnson TD/No TD

I understand the "rule" but in your opinion was the Calvin Johnson play a touchdown?

ChiefBenderForever 09-12-2010 09:24 PM

No question yes, stupid rule.

Abravefan11 09-12-2010 10:06 PM

I understand what they are trying to do with the rule but this is an example of how it's gone too far. CJ caught the ball, got both feet down, controlled it through the catch as his backside hit the ground, and held the ball until it made contact with the ground. He never bobbled it or showed any lack of control through the catch until well after he would have been down by any other standard.

FUBAR 09-13-2010 12:40 AM

He should have been considered down when his butt and hand both touched the ground. Calling it as no control is ridiculous as he let it go to celebrate.

complete BS

ChiefBenderForever 09-13-2010 07:31 AM

Tough year for Detroit fans, first the no hitter taken away and now robbed of a game that they really won.

steve B 09-13-2010 10:00 AM

Hard to see how it shouldn't be a touchdown. Like others have said, control, feet, backside, hand all down in bounds. I know they're supposed to show control after being down, but it doesn't work for me for plays like this mostly because if it was being run in once the ball breaks the plane the play is over ending in a touchdown. Even if someone strips the ball afterwards. Shouldn't a reciever down in the end zone count the same?

Steve B

PWeso81 09-14-2010 02:51 PM

Just another reason for me to move farther away from the NFL. It is a shame for me to see people getting fined for delivering hits that were perfectly acceptable (not to mention taught) when I played HS football. Sneezing too close to a QB earns you a 1 game suspension...leading with your helmet gets you 2...must have 2 hands on the ball with 2 feet, your butt and your back on the ground for a TD? Oh...and the the lock out for 2011. Thank god for college football.

sox1903wschamp 09-15-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWeso81 (Post 836295)
Thank god for college football.

Well, to each his own. But it would be nice if there was structure at the end (D-1) and we could figure out who actually wins :rolleyes:.

But back to the topic, it was a catch (IMO). Did anyone see the 2 point conversion towards the end of last years SB? He had it for a mili-second, broke the plane, lost the ball, conversion good:confused:. Need some consistency please.

D. Broughman 09-16-2010 07:31 AM

All catches should be called the same

It will be interesting to see how endzone catches will be called the rest of the year. Lots of replays:mad:

PWeso81 09-16-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sox1903wschamp (Post 836629)
Well, to each his own. But it would be nice if there was structure at the end (D-1) and we could figure out who actually wins :rolleyes:.

But back to the topic, it was a catch (IMO). Did anyone see the 2 point conversion towards the end of last years SB? He had it for a mili-second, broke the plane, lost the ball, conversion good:confused:. Need some consistency please.

I do not like the BCS stucture either. The biggest problem BCS haters like myself have is (gulp)...the BCS usually gets it right. Their will always be teams who believe the didn't get a fair shake. But I am still waiting for that mega-grand daddy mistake to be made. I would have put large money down on that happening by now. It just hasn't. Oh, and Boise St. , Huh, well Va Tech just made the BCS look even smarter...unfortunately.