Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   1891 Boston vs Pittsburg Poster (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=129181)

aelefson 10-25-2010 06:42 PM

1891 Boston vs Pittsburg Poster

2 Attachment(s)
Hi-
I recently acquired the 1891 railroad poster pictured below. At the bottom it states that a train ticket purchase will also provide admission to a game at the South End Grounds between Boston and Pittsburg.
Was this a common cross promotion? I have seen dozens of similar railroad posters but never looked at them closely (now I will). Does anyone else have any similar baseball/railroad items to show? Any infomration regarding this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Ladder7 10-25-2010 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can't offer any help Alan.

Though I just learned where Downer Ldg and Melville Gdn was likely located, out by Nantasket... It must have been a beautiful sail and fun harbor park. ".. lovely grounds, bowling, golf, concerts, fireworks, topiaries, clam bakes, dancing. "

Incidentally, That had to have been one l o n g summer day for the far away Worcester folk, especially with the ball game. One dollar was a steal as admission just to the Gardens was 60cents in 1871.

Thanks for posting. Terrific piece of Beantown Harbor history there.

*Samuel Downer, who originally lived one street from us in Dorchester (Downer Ave) held the patent for kerosene and had great interest in the Boston rail industry. His kerosene would need to be transported from the docks to the burbs. A connection to baseball, I can't find -yet.

The site of the Downer Landing in Hingham, Mass (adjacent to Nantasket Bch) is also on a Downer Ave and the site is now the exclusive HYC and multi million dollar homes. Contrasting sharply with my old Downer Ave, graced with triple-deckers, junk cars, chickenwire street hockey nets and stray animals. Sam was lucky to get out!.. For me, this is great trivia feed. Thanks again Alan.

Site of Melville Gardens, Downer Ave. Hingham Mass. Nantasket Bch is in the distant background

Jason Carota 10-25-2010 07:42 PM

Wonderful piece, Alan! Thanks for posting it. Unfortunately, I can't help with your questions.

aelefson 10-26-2010 08:28 AM

Thanks guys! Steve, I really appreciate the ancillary information. I never thought about how long of a day that was.
Alan

prewarsports 10-26-2010 09:16 AM

Alan

I have seen or owned maybe 5-10 Railroad flyers (never posters as big as yours) that have advertisements for either Baseball or Football games like yours. However, ALL the ones I have seen or owned have been for College teams though (Harvard/Yale etc.) so having a Professional game advertisement is neat.

Rhys

baseballart 10-26-2010 09:24 AM

Alan

I've seen a few baseball/railway flyers, but all have been from the 1940s or so. I have one from that era (at either St Louis or Cincinnati, as I recall), and I'll try and remember to take a photo. Never seen one that early, and a very cool item.

Max

jbsports33 10-26-2010 03:44 PM

1891 Boston vs Pittsburg Poster

Alan,

I have to say you always find interesting items, large broadside type advertising from the 19th century can be difficult to find. I have seen a few similar to yours for boxing matches. It was common to cross promote with other posters, but many like yours did not survive. Thanks for sharing - very neat poster

Jimmy

aelefson 10-26-2010 07:19 PM

Hi-
Thanks guys! Max I would love to see the 1940s one. Rhys, if you still have an image of the college one could you post it? Thanks again for everyone's help.
Alan

Rob D. 10-26-2010 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one from 1932. It refers to Cleveland's new stadium, which opened in 1931. In addition to it being an early Cleveland Stadium item, I like it because of the mentions of Ruth and Gehrig. It measures 7 x 18.5 inches.

Some excerpts of the text:

Major League Baseball<br>in Cleveland's Mammoth Stadium<br>Where 81,184 (world's record attendance) saw the first Major League<br> game in this giant sports arena. Just a short walk<br> from The Union Terminal on Public Square.

See the league leading "Yanks" and fighting "Indians" with a galaxy<br> of sluggers, crack pitchers and expert fielders in the last Sunday battle<br> of the season between these two teams.<br>

LOOK 'EM OVER -- Ruth, Gehrig, Dickey, Lazzeri, Gomez, Ruffing,<br> Averill, Porter, Vosmik, Sewell, Morgan, Kamm, Cissell, Harder,<br> Hildebrand and others.

aelefson 10-27-2010 08:58 AM

Very cool Rob! I also like the stadium photo.

CarltonHendricks 11-01-2010 01:50 AM

excursion posters

http://sportsantiques.com/PurdueNWBBPost.htm
Alan, You're probably looking for baseball ones, but if you scroll down 3/4 down the page of the link above you'll see two football excursion broadsides...actually I address the genera briefly in the story...the Michigan one was in the booth of Tony Busineau at the last National he did...Tony always had Michigan stuff....that one was very tall like 3 feet

aelefson 11-01-2010 08:51 AM

Thanks Carlton! Very cool posters and article.
Alan