Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Let's see your Mastro Collection winnings (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=130634)

Forever Young 12-09-2010 06:08 PM

Let's see your Mastro Collection winnings

I am pleased the add "The kid" to my collecion.

http://sportscollectorsdaily.ning.co...d?context=user

Now Little Mickey has a playmate.

http://sportscollectorsdaily.ning.co...3AAlbum%3A4248

mr2686 12-09-2010 06:14 PM

Well...If he didn't end up a baseball player, he could have been a Beatle with that haircut! :D
My guess is that this one and the Mantle are truly one of a kind and well worth the investment (or just for the enjoyment). Nice pickup.

Leon 12-09-2010 07:13 PM

don't even know why

1 Attachment(s)
Don't even know why as I don't collect too many pins...

canjond 12-09-2010 08:08 PM

I went strong after the lot of 9 cigarette packs but bailed out at $1600. Truth be told, I was happy in the morning I did so...

Leon 12-09-2010 10:28 PM

1927 NY Yankees - ink blotter

1 Attachment(s)
As an add-on to "type" collecting, collecting blotters is another enjoyable endeavor. How can you go wrong with the 1927 Murderers Row? regards

benchod 12-09-2010 10:33 PM

That's a really great image Leon
I missed that one!
congrats

btw what's your new 1912 BG avatar?

mjkm90 12-10-2010 02:04 AM

Babe Ruth Plaque

I'm very pleased with this acquisition:D. I've not seen this figural before and can't wait to "fit it into" my baseball room. If anyone has seen this piece before or has information to share, please contact me.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...113130a_lg.jpg

mjkm90 12-10-2010 02:08 AM

Leon!!! Those are very cool pieces.

thekingofclout 12-10-2010 04:50 AM

Congrats to Ben, Leon, and Mike for winning some terrific pieces!

1 Attachment(s)
After being the under-bidder twice over the last several years, I'm finally adding one of these tough patches to my collection...

Attachment 28829

Rob D. 12-10-2010 05:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The Bob Feller pin in particular has been on my want list for years:

bcbgcbrcb 12-10-2010 05:13 AM

Ben:

Very cool Williams photo, really like it!

Scott Garner 12-10-2010 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 854133)
The Bob Feller pin in particular has been on my want list for years:

Rob,
Congrats!
BTW, I considered going after the Feller pin, but passed because of a major vintage no-hit signature acquisition that I just made. I had a feeling that you might be going after the Feller based on your collection. I'm glad you won it.
The Cy is SWEET!!! Awesome....

Leon 12-10-2010 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by benchod (Post 854100)
That's a really great image Leon
I missed that one!
congrats

btw what's your new 1912 BG avatar?

I changed my avatar to a 1912 Nap Rucker....better seen here (sorry for the card on this side, he asked :))

jacksons 12-10-2010 09:17 AM

Leon - question on that ink blotter

3 Attachment(s)
Leon -

The ink blotter I saw was advertised as of the 1927 team, yet a print I have of the same team photograph shows it having been taken in 09/1926, before the start of the World Series against the Cardinals.

I guess this was the only team photo available while going to print in early 1927 for that blotter?

A great piece - I was after it as a companion to my print, below, but glad it ended up in good hands!

benchod 12-10-2010 09:20 AM

Jacksons,
nice detective work!

jacksons 12-10-2010 09:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I was able to win this 1921 Mathewson Testimonial Game program. My grandfather was at this game, according to my dad - a must have.

Always tough to frame something that has such great content - looking forward to reading all 16 pages.

Now if I can just find a matching ticket.

timzcardz 12-10-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksons (Post 854188)

Always tough to frame something that has such great content - looking forward to reading all 16 pages.

So then just get another one. Then you'll have one framed and still hav one to read. :D

Very nice!

docpatlv 12-10-2010 09:36 AM

Nice pick-ups everyone...my only win was the Wagner pinback proof.

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/r...7ButtonPRF.jpg

perezfan 12-10-2010 09:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Wow... some terrific acquisitions by all :)

Nice to see that so many of the great pieces in this collection went to our Net54 fraternity. Here's what I came up with (after initial bids on over 50 lots). I'm happy to have a small piece of this amazing collection...

Leon 12-10-2010 09:53 AM

same setting and time but not the same.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksons (Post 854180)
Leon -

The ink blotter I saw was advertised as of the 1927 team, yet a print I have of the same team photograph shows it having been taken in 09/1926, before the start of the World Series against the Cardinals.

I guess this was the only team photo available while going to print in early 1927 for that blotter?

A great piece - I was after it as a companion to my print, below, but glad it ended up in good hands!

Thanks for the feedback. It's definitely the same setting but the pictures' intricacies are very different, we well as the players and their positions. No doubt a great go-with piece to the print though. I am very surprised the blotter didn't go for 2x-4x what it did. Everything else I was bidding on, besides those pre-production pins, went higher than I wanted to go. regards

perezfan 12-10-2010 09:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A brief follow up to my post above... Here's my Hartford Batter Statue, which matches the Pitcher from Mastro in every detail, down to the beveled circular base. I had to go after it, as I never thought I would find the companion piece. The vast majority of these were converted into Kerosene Lamps, so they are almost never seen in this form...

David Atkatz 12-10-2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksons (Post 854180)
Leon -

While obviously taken at the same time, it's not the same photo.

Forever Young 12-10-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb (Post 854135)
Ben:

Very cool Williams photo, really like it!

Thanks Buddy...Vegas...ask Dan

-----------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well...If he didn't end up a baseball player, he could have been a Beatle with that haircut!
My guess is that this one and the Mantle are truly one of a kind and well worth the investment (or just for the enjoyment). Nice pickup.
----------
Mike...I thought I could no lose in either of those scenarios. The two photos together is neat I think.

thekingofclout 12-10-2010 11:13 AM

Well Done Mark! What a companion piece!

2 Attachment(s)
Talk about a tremendous find Mark. That is really cool!

I, like you Mark, placed a million early bids so my list was so full and hectic, with all the countdowns that I didn't realize that I won this sweet display piece with Babe & Lou side by side! :D

Touched up boarders as was stated in the write-up, but I don't mind one bit...
Attachment 28853Attachment 28854

perezfan 12-10-2010 11:30 AM

That's a killer piece, Jimmy... wonderful acquisition!

I can't believe how much I MISSED in this auction. Not missed winning... but missed even seeing! There was so much being offered that it was impossible to expand the focus to everything.

I'm gonna go back and check all of the prices realized when time allows, as I know there's tons more that I missed.

jacksons 12-10-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons
Leon -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry - I missed the detail. Someone must've told Shawkey to cross his legs!

So if the photo printed on the blotter was by "Cosmo Sileo", and the other print was a "U&U", does this mean that one photo was taken by a photog from the Cosmo Sileo studio, and the other was taken by a U&U photog?

The photos are both taken from dead center, within maybe seconds of each other, as only Shawkey and a few others have shifted. I find it hard to believe these weren't taken by the same camera. ????

Leon 12-10-2010 11:57 AM

quite a few more differences too...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksons (Post 854246)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons
Leon -

Sorry - I missed the detail. Someone must've told Shawkey to cross his legs!

So if the photo printed on the blotter was by "Cosmo Sileo", and the other print was a "U&U", does this mean that one photo was taken by a photog from the Cosmo Sileo studio, and the other was taken by a U&U photog?

The photos are both taken from dead center, within maybe seconds of each other, as only Shawkey and a few others have shifted. I find it hard to believe these weren't taken by the same camera. ????

There are quite a few differences and not just Mr.Shawkey. I agree in that I think the photos were probably taken at the same time and from the same camera. I think it is an Underwood and Underwood photo and the other company is just using it, though not sure why they took credit?

Edited to add that maybe this was a photo opportunity day and many photographers got in line to take photos of the team, in the same place, for several minutes? That would be an explanation though I don't know if it makes sense?

ksfarmboy 12-10-2010 02:47 PM

Leon, it's ok that you showed your Rucker Boston Garter as that's not really a card. It's memorabilia all the way. :) Great pickups everyone.

sayhey24 12-14-2010 09:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A little late, but here are two pins I picked up in the auction -- was outbid on several others.

Greg
http://www.baseballbasement.com

Bumpus Jones 12-14-2010 10:34 AM

cincinnati reds items

Anyone here pick up any reds related items?

Chris

Exhibitman 12-14-2010 12:42 PM

Great minds think alike, Leon. I went after those two items as well. Nice pick-ups!

sayhey24 12-15-2010 08:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Rob -- I love your pin pickups -- both the Feller and Cy Young are all time great baseball pins.

Here's my final pickup and my favorite -- the Red Sox Quartette pinback and business card. I actually have another copy of the business card, but I've been looking for the pin for years. Several years ago I managed to find the original photo used for the pin, so now I am looking forward to displaying the three pieces together.

Greg
http://www.baseballbasement.com

Forever Young 12-15-2010 06:43 PM

Dizzy dizno

Although Ruth seemingly drives the market, I thought this was a nice piece for the price(Especially after seeing what the Ruth went for). The two of them share complete games on the same day(thrown by their HANDS) just adds to it. Ok...maybe a bit cheesy and a stretch but hey..whatever...I said it. Can anyone confirm the story below? I also think the fact that hey were arguably teh two most popular players when Diz entered and Ruth exited is cool too.
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-82475496.html

I also like that it is an early example..not an old hand print and signature on his death bed.

http://sportscollectorsdaily.ning.co...-handprint-and