Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What to do with used Charles Feeney NL balls? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=132374)

judgebuck 01-21-2011 08:27 PM

What to do with used Charles Feeney NL balls?

I'm probably in the wrong forum, but I can't find a post-war memorabilia forum. In my efforts to help the Veal family sell the memorabilia of the late Lubie Veal, former groundskeeper at Riverfront in Cincinnati and Wrigley in Chicago, they have given me some old official baseballs to dispose of. There are about 45 Charles Feeney official NL balls, and about a dozen each of William White NL balls, Leonard Coleman NL balls, and Bud Seilig MLB balls. Unfortunately, they have all been hit and are dirty, used, and scuffed. Should I give these to the local high school, or do they have any value on eBay or otherwise? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

novakjr 01-21-2011 08:42 PM

There's definitely a market for those...They usually sell pretty well on ebay.

They'd be great to get signed by players of those eras... I myself would prefer a to get a game used Feeny ball signed by a Schmidt, Bench, Rose, so on and so on, over a fresh new MLB Selig ball. Some probably don't feel the same, but I'm sure that I'm not alone in feeling this way.

slidekellyslide 01-21-2011 09:36 PM

I agree with the above...they are valuable to autograph collectors, most of whom I'm certain would rather have autographs of players from the 1960-70s on a Feeney ball over a newer baseball.

Bigdaddy 01-23-2011 08:41 PM

too many balls?

I'd put them on ebay 1 dozen at a time and let the market decide whether they are collectable or just good for batting practice. I'd list them in both the sporting goods section and the sports collectibles section.

GoldenAge50s 01-24-2011 01:53 PM

Coaches Corner will buy them.

slidekellyslide 01-24-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s (Post 865676)
Coaches Corner will buy them.

What I wouldn't give to know the ebay ID's of the folks at CC and those that "consign" to them.

murphusa 01-24-2011 04:10 PM

it would be interesting if you made a small black pen line over a stich near the sweetspot to see if they show up again with a new story

Gary Dunaier 01-27-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 864976)
I agree with the above...they are valuable to autograph collectors, most of whom I'm certain would rather have autographs of players from the 1960-70s on a Feeney ball over a newer baseball.

OT in tems of the thread, but if I'm getting a signature today I'd rather have it on a new ball, only because I'm getting the signature now. I got a ball signed by Branca and Thomson in 1991, and whereas most people were asking them to write "1951" on it, I asked them to put "1991," because that was the current year. YMMV, of course.

And now back to the topic at hand...