Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1952 Topps Campanella back variation (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=132556)

Doug 01-25-2011 05:02 PM

1952 Topps Campanella back variation

I noticed an interesting variation on the backs of 1952 Topps Campanella cards where some are missing most of the letter "R" and part of the red line above where it says "Major League Batting Record" while others have all the printing intact. At first I thought it was just paper loss until I found two other examples with the same missing "R" and red line fragment. Has anyone else seen this before?

toppcat 01-25-2011 05:34 PM

It's a printing flaw-a small piece of cardboard got stuck during part of the print run I'd say and obscured that area

Doug 01-25-2011 05:41 PM

I saw three of the missing "R" cards on eBay so I guess they aren't all that uncommon although it took me this long to notice they existed.

ALR-bishop 01-25-2011 08:18 PM

1952 Campnella

Good catch Doug. I agree it is a print defect but apparently recurring, same as Herrer, Bakep and maybe Campos. Back ones are usually less exciting and harder to find, but I like them

Doug 01-25-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 866074)
Good catch Doug. I agree it is a print defect but apparently recurring, same as Herrer, Bakep and maybe Campos. Back ones are usually less exciting and harder to find, but I like them

Thanks! It's amazing that after almost 60 years new variations still keep coming up. At least hopefully nobody else had noticed it until now so I can take credit for discovering it! :)

cwazzy 01-26-2011 09:39 AM

Here is the back of mine. I REALLY hope this variation doesn't catch on. I could BARELY afford this one. LOL I had noticed the missing ink but never really thought much about it. I just figured it as a printing flaw on my card.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...anellaback.jpg

Doug 01-26-2011 11:00 AM

When I checked eBay last night three of the dozen 1952 Topps Campanella cards listed had the missing "R" so it doesn't appear to be a very rare variation. At least I hope they aren't rare or I should have snapped one up before mentioning it! :eek:

Doug 08-12-2011 12:29 PM

Here's the back of mine that has the printing intact for comparison:

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/s...mpanellaBK.jpg

ALR-bishop 08-12-2011 12:47 PM

Campenella

Ok, now I have to get one. I guess I need to first see which one I have

wolfdogg 08-12-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 916349)
Ok, now I have to get one. I guess I need to first see which one I have

Dang....another variation in the set I'm doing.....:(........but I love it......LOL

ALR-bishop 08-12-2011 01:16 PM

Campanella

Darn is right. I actually already have 2 Campanellas after upgrading but both have the missing R .

This will make twofers for me of Mantle, Thompson, Robinson and Campanella. 311 to 314. Master set guys better hope these variations don't get recognized. The Campanella seems like just a print defect, but the other 3 are true variations ( front and back on the Mantle and Robinson)

And if the 3d Campos is added, it is as hard as the Black Star

Doug 08-12-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 916361)
Darn is right. I actually already have 2 Campanellas after upgrading but both have the missing R .

This will make twofers for me of Mantle, Thompson, Robinson and Campanella. 311 to 314. Master set guys better hope these variations don't get recognized. The Campanella seems like just a print defect, but the other 3 are true variations ( front and back on the Mantle and Robinson)

And if the 3d Campos is added, it is as hard as the Black Star

I went back and checked this old thread earlier today when I was looking at the back scan of the Campanella I just bought to see which one I was getting. When I first noticed the missing "R" variation I had looked through all of the '52 Campanella cars on eBay and about 1 in 4 were missing the "R" which was how I determined that it must be an actual variation and not just a spot of paper loss on the one I first looked at. I think it would be great if it got recognized just because as far I know I was the first to find it. :D

toppcat 08-12-2011 03:53 PM

Do all the stitches point one way on the variations missing the R?

Doug 08-12-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toppcat (Post 916411)
Do all the stitches point one way on the variations missing the R?

As far as I know the stitches all point to the right on both versions. If I found another version of the missing "R" variation where the stitches point left I would have to be prepare for the master set collectors to show up on my doorstep with torches and pitchforks! :eek: On the plus side, the missing "R" seems to occur on about 20%-25% of the Campanella cards I checked so at least it's not as rare as the Campos variations.

ALR-bishop 08-18-2011 03:06 PM

Two Campanellas

I picked up the 2nd Campanella from Levi. The stitches run right on both.

I am glad Doug pointed this one out....sort of

toppcat 08-18-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 918282)
I picked up the 2nd Campanella from Levi. The stitches run right on both.

I am glad Doug pointed this one out....sort of

Sorry, I'm an idiot-Campy is not a DP. The stitches do not matter! I wonder now if some of the plate wore down? Seems too prevalent to be stray cardboard gumming up the press for a bit.

steve B 08-18-2011 10:04 PM

Random stuff leaves a different sort of mark unless it's the first pass through the press. The fisheyes that are fairly common are from random stuff in the press. I'd think something damaged the plate, or there were two plates. Either is possible, they could have easily run two presses to finish a print run in a hurry. The plates wrap tightly around a steel roller, so the sort of damage that would cause a gap like that is unusual.

Steve B

Doug 08-18-2011 10:44 PM

It would be cool if it got recognized as a legit variation. Then I can be as famous as the guy that discovered the Campos black star...whoever that was... :D

Cardboard Junkie 08-19-2011 10:39 PM

Good Call Doug! Lets have Lemke "weigh in" on this! Bob?

ps All 52 Topps Zernials have his position listed as "ontfield", an uncorrected error?

ALR-bishop 08-20-2011 08:26 AM

Catalog Variation

Bob has posted on CU that the 2012 Book will end at 1980 and may be the last one....so you may need to appeal to Beckett