Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What's with all the 1952 Topps high numbers on eBay? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=134156)

Chris Counts 03-08-2011 08:30 PM

What's with all the 1952 Topps high numbers on eBay?

Is it my imagination or are there a lot of 1952 Topps high numbers listed on eBay right now? It seems like every day several dozen are listed. In fact, I just counted only the cards that were listed today and there were 55 of them. In the past, such numbers might indicate a find, especially if most of the cards are in nice shape. As for condition, the cards listed today were a mixed lot, but there were definitely some nice ones. But still, I don't recall ever seeing so many. Does anybody have any feedback to offer?

ls7plus 03-08-2011 11:47 PM

It's been one of the hottest sets going for some years now--an icon, for many of us boomers. I was at the 2009 National in Cleveland, and a dealer who just happened to be from my area was getting some cards back from the PSA area which had just been graded. He'd gotten some high-number common back in mint 9, and proudly announced to all within hearing distance that he had a buyer for it at $10,000 (it was apparently the first example to receive that lofty grade)!

Like a lot of '50's cards, however, there are a lot more out there than many people think. You won't see any shortage of '52 Topps Mantles in low to mid-grade, for example (yes, it is a double print), and they sell like hotcakes in any major auction.

Personally, I just say to each his own. The only '52 Topps I've ever owned was a Vern Stephens, and that was only because I liked Stephens--he was a heck of a shortstop--power hitter (39 homers, 159 RBI's one season), and an 8-time all-star. Bought him in the mid-nineties in PSA 8 and sold him about a decade later for five times what I paid.

Larry

mintacular 03-09-2011 06:31 AM

I believe some of what you are referring to is a seller that has relisted some that didn't sell last month...Last time I was at a show in PGH Robert Morris I was building that set and every dealer I inquired about said "Hell no" I don't have '52 High #s and nobody else does either...I only saw 2 high numbers Bobby Thomson and someone else, they weren't that common at that show...

Republicaninmass 03-09-2011 02:04 PM

707 has about 95% of all the 52 hi listed, and he would willing to take 5 bucks off ( I have asked) 2 others sold the other Night Bobby Thompson and Joe rossi, at auction, rest are BIN 150+ fr PSa 1's

hangman62 03-09-2011 07:47 PM

52 Topps High

I think 707 sports should take 50 bucks off the price..not 5 bucks

111gecko 03-09-2011 08:05 PM

52 Topps High Numbers

There are 2 sellers on these. One of them just broke up his set but is asking about double the value just to see what kind of buyers are out there.
The other is 707 who uses Ebay as a museum.....

Jim VB 03-10-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 111gecko (Post 877250)
There are 2 sellers on these. One of them just broke up his set but is asking about double the value just to see what kind of buyers are out there.
The other is 707 who uses Ebay as a museum.....

Despite what many buyers think of Levi's business model, it works for him. He does just fine.