Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Giant fan beaten in Dodger Stadium parking lot on opening day (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=135390)

SlugSports 04-07-2011 12:38 AM

Giant fan beaten in Dodger Stadium parking lot on opening day

I just wanted to say that as a Dodger fan that attends a few games a year, I am sick to my stomach after hearing and reading about this story the last few days. It seems to be getting a lot of national media attention now and thats a good thing. Maybe it will force Dodger owner Frank McCourt to take a serious look at his security procedures at the stadium so this type of thing is less likely to happen again. My thoughts go out to his friends and family and I hope that the scum bags that did this get caught.

teetwoohsix 04-07-2011 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlugSports (Post 884808)
I just wanted to say that as a Dodger fan that attends a few games a year, I am sick to my stomach after hearing and reading about this story the last few days. It seems to be getting a lot of national media attention now and thats a good thing. Maybe it will force Dodger owner Frank McCourt to take a serious look at his security procedures at the stadium so this type of thing is less likely to happen again. My thoughts go out to his friends and family and I hope that the scum bags that did this get caught.

I am also a Dodger fan (and so is my wife) and we have been to many Dodger games without any incidents- but this is uncalled for and pathetic. Hopefully the victim is OK, and hopefully it doesn't happen again. I did not see the story on this, do you have a link? If not I will search around for it.

I would assume that the people who did this were probably intoxicated and fell into that stupid "group mentality" thing.....one person starts it and the rest follow along.........pretty sad.

SlugSports 04-07-2011 03:04 AM

Here's a link to an article from the L.A. Times from Wednesday.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodg...re-swells.html

There are some more articles on the L.A Times website. Just click on their sports page and there is a whole daily section on the Dodgers.

teetwoohsix 04-08-2011 03:22 AM

Thanks for the link on that- I did see it on the news earlier tonight. Very sad.
Wish him the best and hope he pulls through.

Sincerely, Clayton

Chris Counts 04-08-2011 10:56 AM

As a longtime resident of both Northern and Southern California, I have always enjoyed the intense rivalry that exists between the Dodgers and the Giants. With that being said, I believe this tragic incident has little to do with the rivalry and a lot to do with with the fact that California has become a very violent place. Sadly, I think about leaving the state every day ...

chaddurbin 04-08-2011 09:09 PM

the cheap-ass carpet-bagging mccourts need to go. my love for the dodgers is only matched by my hatred for the mccourts. what a curse for this once proud franchise.

teetwoohsix 04-08-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 885320)
the cheap-ass carpet-bagging mccourts need to go. my love for the dodgers is only matched by my hatred for the mccourts. what a curse for this once proud franchise.

Amen to that!!! 100% agree.

teetwoohsix 04-08-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Counts (Post 885162)
As a longtime resident of both Northern and Southern California, I have always enjoyed the intense rivalry that exists between the Dodgers and the Giants. With that being said, I believe this tragic incident has little to do with the rivalry and a lot to do with with the fact that California has become a very violent place. Sadly, I think about leaving the state every day ...

I also agree with you on this Chris- I thought moving out of California would get me away from that too, but I'm starting to think it's becoming like that in most larger metropolitan areas on the west coast. Las Vegas has a lot of the same crap going on as California did (does).

ChiefBenderForever 04-09-2011 09:28 PM

So what happened , article was worthless. Was the guy wearing a Giants jersey and get jumped or don't they even know what happened ?

teetwoohsix 04-09-2011 10:48 PM

Hi Johnny-

Tried to post another link, but it says the page moved. Anyhow- Giants fan was walking to his car after the game, and two guys started insulting him talking trash and then they ended up attacking him. He is in critical condition with a fractured skull and will probably have brain damage.

You can just search Yahoo or Google and type in Giants fan and it pulls up multiple articles. So far they (police, Dodgers, talk radio host, victims employer, etc.) are offering a $150,000.00 reward to catch the scum who did this.

Clayton

D. Bergin 04-11-2011 06:35 AM

Sadly this type of behavior seems to be commonplace at Dodger Stadium, especially in the bleacher sections.

Plenty of videos on YouTube of fan bullying there. I know this can happen anywhere, but it seems to be taken to the extreme at Dodger Stadium.

Ironic, in that I grew up always hearing about how the Dodger Stadium crowds are some of the most listless and ambivalent in baseball.

36GoudeyMan 04-11-2011 09:12 AM

Not just the West Coast

The mistreatment of visiting fans is not just a plague on the West Coast... the number of incidents involving Phillies fans and their conduct in their won stadium (to say nothing of how they act when they visit other stadiums) is appalling... need I remind everyone of the Philly fan who made himself vomit on a 12-year old girl in Citizens Bank Park last year?

Unfortunately, while culture has something to do with it, alcohol fuels 99% of this intolerable, criminal and juvenile behavior.

Kawika 04-11-2011 10:04 AM

I lived in the Bay Area in the eighties and as a lifelong Giants fan I followed the team closely. I recall an account in the Chronicle Sporting Green of one Giants-Dodgers match at the 'Stick where police had to break up eight or nine fights in the parking lot after the game. That's a lot of fights. This shit is nothing new. It was stupid then, it is stupid now.

ChiefBenderForever 04-11-2011 11:53 AM

Not good at all, especially for people going on vacation to other places to watch their team play. All the transplants in other cities need to think twice before wearing the visiting team jersey, really sad. And totally agree that it is violent everywhere but seems to be worse in places that have the best weather ? Why so much violence and crime in the places that have the best temps and sun ?