Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Autograph Ball Help! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=136027)

pow323 04-22-2011 03:48 PM

Autograph Ball Help!

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks to all that helped me out before on some Autograph Balls that I put on here. Please help me out with these 4 Autographs! Please let me know what you think? Thanks, Marc You can email me at mpowers23@verizon.net. Thank you!

pow323 04-22-2011 06:05 PM

Autographs

I guess no one wants to help me this time! :(

milkit1 04-22-2011 06:52 PM

The Koufax looks a bit strange but the others seem to look good.

pow323 04-22-2011 07:10 PM

Auto Balls

Thank you very much Sean! I want to buy these but I want to make sure they are all ok! Maybe someone else could give me there opinion on the Koufax! Again Thanks Sean for your help! Marc :)

milkit1 04-22-2011 07:18 PM

no problem marc, be careful with mantle williams and dimaggio though, there are a LOT OF good fakes of those guys. I would stick strictly to authenticated ones on them.

pow323 04-22-2011 07:23 PM

Auto Balls

OK Will Do! I am hoping that these are all good! Mainly Mantle, Williams, Dimaggio. Thanks, Marc

Scott Garner 04-22-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pow323 (Post 888794)
Thank you very much Sean! I want to buy these but I want to make sure they are all ok! Maybe someone else could give me there opinion on the Koufax! Again Thanks Sean for your help! Marc :)

Hi Marc,
I will try to help with the Koufax, but could you please show me a scan of the league president on this ball?
Thanks,
Scott

GoldenAge50s 04-22-2011 09:18 PM

In my unscientific opinion, in comparing Mantle, Williams & DiMaggio to my in-person autos, I think they are very good but the only one I think MAY be authentic is the Koufax.

pow323 04-22-2011 09:20 PM

Auto Ball

1 Attachment(s)
Scott, Thank you for your help! Here is a picture of the Ball. Do you think that the others are ok also? Thanks again, Marc

Scott Garner 04-23-2011 04:18 AM

Koufax signature

Hi Marc,
Thanks for sending over the scan of the backside of the Koufax ball.

Since Charles Feeney is the NL President (President 1969- 1986), your Koufax ball would have to have been signed 1969 or later. I have compared your Koufax signature to literally a dozen different exemplars that I know to be real and can be directly linked to the year in which they were signed.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any examples of his sig during the time period of 1969 to present that his signature even remotely looks like the one on your ball. I personally would not feel comfortable with this signature. BTW, I collect signatures to all no-hit pitchers in my own personal collection. Growing up in So Cal I had the opportunity to get Sandy's signature in person many times through the years.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I wish that I had better news to report. I will pass on commenting on the Joe D. and Teddy Ball Game signed balls. I'll allow some of the other board members with better expertise to check in on these two.

Good collecting!

pow323 04-23-2011 06:01 AM

Auto Balls

Scott, Thanks for getting back on the Koufax! You to Fred! Thanks to all who helped me on the Autograph Balls. I am able to return any of the Balls if they are not real autos. I am still wondering about the Mantle, Williams, Dimaggio, but will return the Koufax. Hope someone will know for sure about those three. Thank you again Guys you are a big help! Have a good Easter!

novakjr 04-23-2011 07:37 AM

A little more specifics on the ball itself. The 3 dot Rawlings Haiti ball with the larger size Feeney facsimile would date the ball to 1978. So the time frame for the auto would be 1978-present. Aside from that, I'd have to agree with everything else that Scott said.

Mr. Zipper 04-23-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pow323 (Post 888773)
I guess no one wants to help me this time! :(

I was hoping to see some responses to learn a bit myself. :)

With the Mantle, I think I'm adept at spotting obvious fakes and then there are examples that are pretty clearly good. It's the "tweeners" that are tough.

I'm not quite sure what to think of the Micks with the sharply pointed tops on the Ms. I guess it could be real and just a more rushed style. But, I always feel more comfortable when the M's have a softer rounded top. If I recall correctly, the fakes sold through the Home Shopping Network tended to have the more pointed style M.

Here is a page of UDA authentic Mantles. Most have the softer M, but a few are a bit pointed at the top.
http://www.theswearingens.com/mick/autos.htm

Big Dave 04-24-2011 05:09 AM

I think the Mantle is authentic. Not really feeling good about the DiMaggio or Williams.

http://www.amazon.com/b?%5Fencoding=...&creative=9325