Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lots of Bryce Harper auto cards selling for $500 plus on ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=137926)

northsidebaseball 06-11-2011 06:12 PM

Lots of Bryce Harper auto cards selling for $500 plus on ebay

Was just browsing on ebay couldn't believe the prices. Nice to see the 80s are alive and well...maybe this guy will turn out to be a great player but I still remember Gregg Jefferies, Van Poppel, Sam Horn, etc. At least in the 80s they were only 5, 10, 20 bucks. Very hard to believe these Harper cards will hold their value whatever happens with his career. I'll take that kinda cash and put it toward a nice Ernie Banks 1954 topps any day:)

39special 06-11-2011 06:32 PM

I agree.Look what happened to the price of the Strasburg cards.

HRBAKER 06-12-2011 04:39 PM

The latest shiny card lottery in full swing.

con40 06-13-2011 07:49 AM

Brien Taylor auto RCs, Josh Hamilton auto RCs, Mark Prior auto RCs, Rick Ankiel auto RCs, Steven Strasburg RCs, Bryan Harper RCs... the list of sterling investments rolls on and on.

bbcard1 06-13-2011 08:23 AM

Yes, but when stuff like this stops working, the hobby stops working.

scmavl 06-13-2011 08:38 AM

I think this one is a BIG "IF". The kid is still in Single A ball! Heck, a guy on our local minor league Single A team (also named Bryce) is outhitting Harper right now, and they're in the same league. But I agree, we need these prospects to keep people buying new packs. A Pujols card from his 10th year won't have them emptying the displays at Target. I've bought a fair number of the new Bowman packs this year as well.

However, I bought a Bryce Harper signed ball when I first heard about him last year. And I think it only cost me $30. Now would be a good time to flip it. :) Harper's team is playing our local team soon, so I guess I should take a sharpie and some cards to the ballpark!

scmavl 06-13-2011 08:40 AM

Also, I'm hanging onto my signed Strasburg RC. It was one of 299 that Topps gave away as part of their Million Card promotion last year. I bought it a few months after Strasburg got hurt and his value was down.

Wasted money? Maybe. Time will tell.

toppcat 06-13-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 900923)

Disagree-that's the investment/lottery side, not hobby.

theseeker 06-14-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toppcat (Post 900937)
Disagree-that's the investment/lottery side, not hobby.

Yes, but think of this--who is talking about the new cards? The release dates, their designs, ect. I'm sure we all remember a time when the new season's card designs were anticipated and talked about by a large portion of the hobby base. This held true into the early part of the "shiny" card era. No interest at all anymore. These boards are a testament to this fact.

fkw 06-14-2011 09:56 PM

The clowns that buy cases of this shiny crap and flipping singles on eBay at the right time when the name is hyped.... are not card collectors, they are so called "prospectors" and once burnt out and out of $$$ leave the hobby in droves..... as more enter. They are only in it trying to make a quick $$ off the latest hyped player. Theyre hoping for a big pull game is more like the lottery than card collecting.

A player like Harper is perfect for them.... but the fools buying (right NOW) are the real losers, Harper could go on and hit 30-40 HRs a years for next 18 years and the value is ALWAYS destine to go down. Always has and always will. The hype will die slowly on all these players, spike for a few weeks when they are voted into the Hall of Fame, then dive again right after.....

tigers6884 06-15-2011 08:36 AM

I have to agree, too much downside on these cards. Once the hype wears off the one holding the card loses.

Tomman1961 06-16-2011 06:05 PM

Nice post. And nice answers about players I have also thought about. Here in NYC I was a nice predicter of Jefferies failing. But I also tanked on Gooden.The fact that the Mets put him in their HOF along with Strawberry is why this 40 year Met fan realizes what a disgrace this organization is. Can not put those 2 bums alongside of Seaver, Harrelson, and Staub. Anyway-back to cards. Yup, what happens to Stassburg?????

doug.goodman 06-18-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 900923)

Laughing.

The actual hobby has virtually nothing to do with the latest "Mark Fidrych" card.

The want-to-be lottery millionaires who think they can get rich off this stuff are helping the card / grading company bottom line, but that's not "the hobby".

Doug