Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Mick and Teddy Ballgame... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=144390)

Big Six 11-30-2011 08:09 PM

The Mick and Teddy Ballgame...

2 Attachment(s)
Over the years, I have had a lot of good fortune securing autographs of many Hall of Fame ball players and when I haven't been able to get the signature in person, I've always gone the route of purchasing from well known resources (i.e. Richard Simon, Mill Creek Sports or even, on rare occasion, Steiner).

Two autographs in my collection, the Mantle and Williams 8x10's below, were left to me by my father who collected autographs in his own right. He's been gone 11 years now and I never had the foresight to ask him about these two pieces. As you can imagine, I have nothing as far as paperwork nor do I know where he sourced these from...as a paraplegic, I'm certain he did not get them in person, though.

If anyone could weigh in with their opionion on these, I'd be very appreciative. Since these were my dad's, I have been very hesitant to post these here just in case the consensus is they aren't real. That said, ignorance isn't really bliss either, so I'm putting this out there for everyone to see. If their real, I'll likely frame them and hang them in my office...if not, then I'll likely shred them...

From my probably biased perspective, both signatures appear to be consistent with other "good" signatures I've compared them to, but I'm no expert either...

Fuddjcal 11-30-2011 08:19 PM

The Mantle looks spot on to me as the lowly Mantle Collector.:D; I also like the Ted for whatever that's worth.;)

Big Six 11-30-2011 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 943548)
The Mantle looks spot on to me as the lowly Mantle Collector.:D; I also like the Ted for whatever that's worth.;)

Thanks Chuck...some good news before bed! Hoping some other folks can chime in...

GrayGhost 11-30-2011 09:30 PM

both looks good to me too.:)

Big Six 12-01-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 943571)
both looks good to me too.:)

Thanks Scott...anyone else have any thoughts or concerns? Does anyone think it makes sense for me to have PSA/DNA or JSA look time over? Or do I just frame and enjoy???

scmavl 12-01-2011 10:22 AM

I think Mickey looks good.

Big Six 12-02-2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scmavl (Post 943667)
I think Mickey looks good.

Thanks Jarrod...hope you have a great holiday, too!

Anyone else able to chime in on these two? I'm feeling pretty good about these and leaning toward getting them over to my frame guy...

Big Six 05-22-2012 12:16 PM

Any last thoughts...

Looking to bring these two pieces to my local framer so I can enjoy them more...anyone else care to comment on them? At this point, I'm feeling pretty good about just framing them and not worrying about submitting to PSA/JSA...I really appreciate any additional opinions and try not to abuse/take advantage of the expertise offered here too much...M@tt

Lordstan 05-22-2012 03:13 PM

Matt,
I agree with the opinions posted so far. I think the Mantle is good. I think the Williams is also, but I admit to not being as comfortable with his sig as others are.
As far as PSA is concerned, I would not bother.
IMHO, the only reason to get an opinion from a TPA or individual person like Richard Simon is to make YOU feel better. It will not make the pictures look better in the frame.
I have thousands of autos in my collection. I have never submitted a single one for "authentication." If you are going to hang and enjoy, their approval serves no purpose. While I agree that if you sell them a cert of some sort might help you get a higher price for it, I would wait until that time comes. Who Knows, in 20-30 yrs, PSA, JSA, and others may be long gone and have no weight in the marketplace. I think, financially, it will be much better to have the company that is considered the best, at that time, give you the cert then.

I'm not knocking TPAs, as I don't want to start another one of those discussions, just looking at it from the perspective of what I feel is most practical for you purposes.

Enjoy,
Mark

mr2686 05-22-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordstan (Post 996122)
Matt,
I agree with the opinions posted so far. I think the Mantle is good. I think the Williams is also, but I admit to not being as comfortable with his sig as others are.
As far as PSA is concerned, I would not bother.
IMHO, the only reason to get an opinion from a TPA or individual person like Richard Simon is to make YOU feel better. It will not make the pictures look better in the frame.
I have thousands of autos in my collection. I have never submitted a single one for "authentication." If you are going to hang and enjoy, their approval serves no purpose. While I agree that if you sell them a cert of some sort might help you get a higher price for it, I would wait until that time comes. Who Knows, in 20-30 yrs, PSA, JSA, and others may be long gone and have no weight in the marketplace. I think, financially, it will be much better to have the company that is considered the best, at that time, give you the cert then.
I'm not knocking TPAs, as I don't want to start another one of those discussions, just looking at it from the perspective of what I feel is most practical for you purposes.

Enjoy,
Mark

+1

BigJJ 05-22-2012 06:16 PM

Both look rock solid to me. Beautiful Mantle.