Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   To or to not Say Hey...Part 2 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=144745)

ScottR81 12-09-2011 09:12 AM

To or to not Say Hey...Part 2

2 Attachment(s)
So a couple of months ago I asked: "if you were going to have Willie mays sign your 1952 topps would you have him put anything else like "say hey kid" or just his name. A lot of you had great storys about him and not so great stories.

Well I had Mays sign my card and I also asked if he would inscribe 660 HR to make my card unique from others. Well he signed his name just fine but as he was adding the "HR" he ran out of room and started writing on the tablecloth. He noticed what he did and then added the "HR" again. So I have an extra "H" which is kinda funny and insures the authenticity to stangers I guess. Here is a photo of what I have, what do you think of this?

chaddurbin 12-09-2011 09:19 AM

wow his sig got worse also...everyone's getting old

Scott Garner 12-09-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottR81 (Post 946039)
So a couple of months ago I asked: "if you were going to have Willie mays sign your 1952 topps would you have him put anything else like "say hey kid" or just his name. A lot of you had great storys about him and not so great stories.

Well I had Mays sign my card and I also asked if he would inscribe 660 HR to make my card unique from others. Well he signed his name just fine but as he was adding the "HR" he ran out of room and started writing on the tablecloth. He noticed what he did and then added the "HR" again. So I have an extra "H" which is kinda funny and insures the authenticity to stangers I guess. Here is a photo of what I have, what do you think of this?

When he ran out of room and started signing the tablecloth, were you thinking "Say Hey, that's my vintage 1952 card there, Willie!"
:p

BTW, was Willie on his best behavior when you saw him?

ScottR81 12-09-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 946044)
When he ran out of room and started signing the tablecloth, were you thinking "Say Hey, that's my vintage 1952 card there, Willie!"
:p

BTW, was Willie on his best behavior when you saw him?

lol, I cringed a little but I was like hey, its still Mays. He really didnt acknowledge anyone. He had two women helping him and he never really said Hi to anyone or shook hands. He really shouldnt be signing for the public anymore.

When he first looked at my card he told one of the women helping him he couldnt sign it because he had just signed a contact with topps and he could only sign their cards??? didnt quite get what he meant by that, maybe he thought it was 1985 in his mind.

Vintagedegu 12-09-2011 10:17 AM

-

bjcunningham 12-09-2011 10:26 AM

Similarly...

I had Earl Weaver sign a ball at a card show when I was a kid. One of his handlers interrupted him while he was signing it, so I now have an authentic "Earl Weav" signed ball. As a twelve year old, I wasn't sure what to do after that and didn't have a contingency plan ready. Ol' Weav' didn't even notice and handed the ball back to me.

pgellis 12-09-2011 10:32 AM

When will the tablecloth end up on eBay?:)

tiger8mush 12-09-2011 03:07 PM

Forgive me, as I got lost and stumbled over here from the baseball card side :) and I've never seen a Mays signature before, but what does his signature spell? It looks like "4uue Tut" or something.

Neat story, and neat card too with the extra "H"!

71buc 12-09-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger8mush (Post 946198)
Forgive me, as I got lost and stumbled over here from the baseball card side :) and I've never seen a Mays signature before, but what does his signature spell? It looks like "4uue Tut" or something.

Neat story, and neat card too with the extra "H"!

I was at show in Washington state a long time ago. I had a multi signature ball that was already signed by Mays. Bob Feller looked at the ball before adding his own signature and said, "Oh I see you got a "Tootie Mogs" autograph on here."

Fuddjcal 12-09-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger8mush (Post 946198)

We used to call it a "Fleece Mop"...don't ask me why?