Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   You want to see an amazing collection (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=146684)

Shoeless Moe 01-25-2012 12:00 PM

You want to see an amazing collection

If this guy ever puts his collection up for sale.....wow!

http://seth.com/coll_histbseballs_tn.html

novakjr 01-25-2012 12:17 PM

Great stuff, but that "Terminal Tower" ball is awesome...
I heard Seth do an interview with 92.3 here in Cleveland over the summer. For the most part, he seemed to focus on the Vander Meer ball and the Buckner ball. Also mentioned the Champagne bottle from the Red Sox locker room before the Buckner error happened..

Runscott 01-25-2012 03:53 PM

Of course, the big question for this forum would be...

http://seth.com/images/collection_pa...balls/20_1.jpg

39special 01-25-2012 03:59 PM

Wow. That guys got balls!!

henson1855 01-25-2012 04:32 PM

A few of these are already up in Heritage's April auction preview, looks like he is starting to sell.

howard38 01-25-2012 06:04 PM

/

Scott Garner 01-26-2012 05:48 PM

Seth Swirsky- baseball books

How many of you have read his trilogy of baseball books?

I read his first two books entitled "Baseball Letters" and "Every Pitcher Tells a Story". Absolutely awesome reads if you haven't picked them up. I highly recommend them!! :)

I had a chance to meet Seth Swirsky at the 1997 All Star Fan Fest in Cleveland. He had just finished "Baseball Letters" and he was there selling and signing his books. I had a nice chat 10 minute chat with him, and he seemed like a great guy. We have exchanged e-mails a few times through the years re: various signed collectibles...

Great collection!

Bilko G 01-28-2012 04:14 AM

Absolutely Amazing!!!!!

Runscott 01-28-2012 11:43 AM

No opinion on the Ruth and Gehrig signatures?

Jason 01-28-2012 03:08 PM

The Ty Cobb pitched ball is amazing.I was totally unaware of that occurence. He really has a great collection there.

Runscott 01-28-2012 04:47 PM

lol - so those sigs look good to all the Yankee autograph experts on this forum?

I'm seeing a trend here: if you know the guy and like him, the signature is good. If you don't know him, or the LOA/COA was created by someone you don't like (or have a fight going with in this forum), then the signature is bad. If you know the guy and like him, and the signature doesn't look so kosher....dead silence.

Carry on, my faux pas. (is it a faux pas if you did it on purpose? :confused:)

Scott Garner 01-28-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 961215)
lol - so those sigs look good to all the Yankee autograph experts on this forum?

I'm seeing a trend here: if you know the guy and like him, the signature is good. If you don't know him, or the LOA/COA was created by someone you don't like (or have a fight going with in this forum), then the signature is bad. If you know the guy and like him, and the signature doesn't look so kosher....dead silence.

Carry on, my faux pas. (is it a faux pas if you did it on purpose? :confused:)

Scott,
No comment from me because I don't feel qualified to respond.
Sorry! I'm hoping that others that are more familiar with the intricacies of these sigs check in with their opinions....
I hope you get your responses soon. ;)

Runscott 01-28-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 961232)
Scott,
No comment from me because I don't feel qualified to respond.
Sorry! I'm hoping that others that are more familiar with the intricacies of these sigs check in with their opinions....
I hope you get your responses soon. ;)

Thanks Scott. No response necessary - I can tell from looking at that ball that no one here could tell you one way or the other if the signatures are authentic.
I just thought I'd see if anyone would bite.

yanks12025 01-28-2012 08:34 PM

Scott,

I know nothing about autos really but to me the Ruth looks clubhouse. Not sure about Gehrig, but looks like his early Verison.

drc 01-29-2012 02:30 AM

Don't care. Yankees suck.

To be honest (though I was honest about the Yankees sucking), is the Ruth looks a bit funny to me. But I'm no expert so even I don't take seriously my opinion on the matter.

I recently met a lovely, nice woman from NYC. I was relieved to learn she was a Mets fan. "Okay," I thought. "Mets I can handle."

If it's any consolation, I don't like the Red Sox either.

Runscott 01-29-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drc (Post 961345)
Don't care. Yankees suck.

To be honest (though I was honest about the Yankees sucking), is the Ruth looks a bit funny to me. But I'm no expert so even I don't take seriously my opinion on the matter.

I recently met a lovely, nice woman from NYC. I was relieved to learn she was a Mets fan. "Okay," I thought. "Mets I can handle."

If it's any consolation, I don't like the Red Sox either.

David, I never liked the Mets either, but only because I grew up an Astros fan, and they crawled out of the cellar quicker than we did (yes, it was jealousy).

But, back to the topic. This collection of balls is amazing - I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the stories on his website. But that Yankme's ball does illustrate that there's a problem that no one really wants to talk about unless it involves one of their enemies - the 'good guys' are off-limits, and that's what fostered this situation to begin with.

In most cases (note the qualifier), the only person who is sure his Ruth ball is authentic, is the guy who has it sitting in his trophy case - for him, that signature HAS to be real every time he brings over one of his buddies for a cigar and single malt.

I say, toss this one to Pickles.

drc 01-29-2012 12:37 PM

The Mets aren't good enough to hate. I also grew up following the American League, so they were like playing in the Land of Oz. The Mets never played my team when I was young, and the prospects that they would would vague at clearest. The Yankees were in my division.

For me at least, the teams I hate happen to win a lot. So it's a bit of a compliment. I disliked your Cowboys in part because they kept beating my Packers in the playoffs.

Runscott 01-29-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drc (Post 961494)
The Mets aren't good enough to hate. I also grew up following the American League, so they were like playing in the Land of Oz. The Mets never played my team when I was young, and the prospects that they would were vague at clearest. The Yankees were in my division.

For me at least, the teams I hate happen to win a lot. So it's a bit of a compliment. I disliked your Cowboys in part because they kept beating my Packers in the playoffs. That they Cowboys had Michael Irvin, Deon Sanders, Jimmy Jones didn't help matters.

The Superbowl is a tough call for me, as she's a Giants fan. I don't hate the Giants but I have to admit I'm not a big fan.

David, I hated the Packers for the same reason ('66,'67 NFL championship). I was certain Bart Starr didn't make it over the goal-line. Still hurts to think about that play. The guys you mention wouldn't have lasted a day on those old Cowboy teams - Landry wouldn't have put up with them. Remember Hollywood Henderson? And can you imagine how Vince Lombardi would have reacted to those guys?

Jerry Jones is a travesty, but he's in good company in pro sports.

drc 01-29-2012 02:39 PM

My distaste was from the 1990s when Troy Aikman et al were beating the Packers in the playoffs to go to the Superbowl.

When I was a lad in the 1970s, everyone was beating the Packers. For me, a winning season was as vague and foggy as those Mets. I was too young to do theory.

I often say I deserve all the Packers modern success, because they were horrid in my youngster years and I was always a loyal fan. I guess I didn't know any better.

I remember when my mom started following baseball. Specifically the local Mariners in 2001-- yes 116 wins that year. I kept telling her as she watched them on tv winning another series, "Be warned. It's not going to be like this every year."

Shoeless Moe 03-23-2012 08:08 PM

Where did Seth Swirsky's stuff go?

He had a lot of amazing items in the upcoming Heritage Auction, but now all appear to be gone?

What happened?

He had the Buckner Ball, A letter from Judge Landis to Shoeless Joe, etc etc. It's all gone!

http://sports.ha.com/common/search_r...1&chkNotSold=0

Scott Garner 03-24-2012 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 977957)
He had a lot of amazing items in the upcoming Heritage Auction, but now all appear to be gone?

What happened?

He had the Buckner Ball, A letter from Judge Landis to Shoeless Joe, etc etc. It's all gone!

http://sports.ha.com/common/search_r...1&chkNotSold=0

Paul,
I just checked the HA auction website and a couple of items that I have been tracking out of Seth Swirsky's collection are still there, FWIW...