Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unfortunate last name of T206 owner (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=149023)

RobertGT 03-19-2012 02:16 PM

Unfortunate last name of T206 owner

...but the card selection is pretty impressive:

http://www.learyauctioneers.com/pict...ards%20pdf.htm

yanks12025 03-19-2012 02:37 PM

I don't understand why people continue to out current live auctions.

ullmandds 03-19-2012 02:46 PM

eh...common t cards...who cares!

cmoore330 03-19-2012 03:31 PM

It's not a current auction...it is on March 31. Just an auction preview.

mybuddyinc 03-19-2012 03:32 PM

"Unfortunate last name of T206 owner"

I always enjoy a last name that rivals mine --- OT story:

In kindergarten, we kids were sitting around a big table having our snack. Some kid laughs and spits milk out his nose. Another kid says "eeewwww GROSS!" At that point ALL the kids look and point at me and yell "eeewwww GROSS!" I remember, even now 45 plus years later, saying to myself "man, that's going to get old fast." ................... and it did ;)

dog*dirt 03-19-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 976824)
I don't understand why people continue to out current live auctions.

I thought I may have been able to pick up a few deals since the auction is about 10 minutes from my house. Since half the collecting world now knows, I highly doubt I will win a single lot:(

RobertGT 03-19-2012 03:50 PM

Since there is such desire for secrecy in this auction, if someone will explain how to delete the thread I will be more than happy to oblige. It doesn't seem to let me in the "edit" page.

Or if Leon sees it, perhaps he can just go ahead and poof it.

camlov2 03-19-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog*dirt (Post 976837)
I thought I may have been able to pick up a few deals since the auction is about 10 minutes from my house. Since half the collecting world now knows, I highly doubt I will win a single lot:(

But many years in the future when you (or your children) decide to sell you will appreciate the fact that someone outs your auction. Probably will only happen if Dirt or Dog is your last name though.

First day of school in 7th grade my science teacher was taking roll. He must have thought I was French? Luckily it was the first day of school because the other students were too nervous to laugh when he called out the name Horn(e).

Leon 03-19-2012 04:03 PM

Threads very rarely get deleted. It's just something we don't do very often on this board. You can always edit your post to delete the link to the auction. I didn't know this until about a month or two ago but I guess I am the only one that can physically delete threads. I thought the other mods could but they can't. There is no hard rule against outing ongoing auctions but it is frowned upon by most.

FrankWakefield 03-19-2012 07:28 PM

Outing an auction upsets a potential bidder hoping to buy something for less than it might otherwise bring.

Outing an auction is appreciated by other folks who bid and appreciate the help in finding the auction.

And Outing an auction certainly helps the seller.

Seems to me that outing an auction is the right thing to do. I think the link should go back up...

Vegas-guy 03-19-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 976903)
Outing an auction upsets a potential bidder hoping to buy something for less than it might otherwise bring.

Outing an auction is appreciated by other folks who bid and appreciate the help in finding the auction.

Seems to me that outing an auction is the right thing to do. I think the link should go back up...

+1

tiger8mush 03-19-2012 08:02 PM

if it was a Baltimore News Ruth hidden underneath a pile of napkin rings in the kitchen section of ebay, then thats outing an auction.

making mention of a listing that we'll all get email notification and magazines in the mail of, isn't outing an auction.

vintagetoppsguy 03-19-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

+2

RobertGT 03-19-2012 08:54 PM

OK - Link restored.

The way I justify it is as follows: This appears to be a sale on behalf of an elderly woman -- possibly of her late husband's cards -- and she could probably use the money. I am sure she knows nothing of cards, which is why these T206s turned up at this local auction house.

And for the early poster who believes these are common T cards, it might behoove you to do some digging around in the scans, unless we are now calling a Ty Cobb Bat off Shoulder a common card.

Sorry to all those who hoped to score a deal on the cheap. I originally just posted for the irony of the last name. Then I put myself in her shoes.

Have at it.

brianp-beme 03-19-2012 09:05 PM

You can all have your T205's and T206's

Hi everyone...I have dibs on lot 62. I need the Spanish Mackeral, Toadfish and Mullet cards to complete my set.

Brian

atx840 03-19-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 976918)
Hi everyone...I have dibs on lot 62. I need the Spanish Mackeral, Toadfish and Mullet cards to complete my set.

Brian

Damnit.

Jantz 03-19-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertGT (Post 976916)
And for the early poster who believes these are common T cards, it might behoove you to do some digging around in the scans, unless we are now calling a Ty Cobb Bat off Shoulder a common card.

Peter just said that to throw off potential buyers, he wants all of those T206s for himself. He loves T206s and threads about T206s. ;)

Jantz

ullmandds 03-20-2012 12:11 AM

Yes...you are right...those cobbs are as elusive as the white squirrel. Best of luck for the sweet ol' lady.

David R 03-20-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 976915)
+2

+3

Most auctions are announced here before they end -- Goodwins, REA, Legendary and all the others. Why is this one any different?

joeadcock 03-20-2012 12:35 AM

Good luck to all

jalex 03-20-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R (Post 976940)
+3

Most auctions are announced here before they end -- Goodwins, REA, Legendary and all the others. Why is this one any different?

Amen...

Big Six 03-20-2012 04:46 AM

Relax...

I can't imagine anyone will want cards from "the Trimmer Collection" anyway...

Leon 03-20-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David R (Post 976940)
+3

The auctions you mentioned are well publicized. The one in the original post is not as well publicized. I had never seen that one as well as I bet 90%+ of the board hadn't seen it (yet). That is not the case with the industry auctions you mentioned. That is the difference. I am fairly neutral on the whole outing of auctions issue but have to admit, if one is in a weird category, and I search for hours to find it, I would prefer it not being outed while it's still going. Just my preference but the world won't stop if it is.

T206Collector 03-20-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 976963)
I am fairly neutral on the whole outing of auctions issue but have to admit, if one is in a weird category, and I search for hours to find it, I would prefer it not being outed while it's still going.

+1

freakhappy 03-20-2012 09:54 AM

People and their money...(sigh):rolleyes:

Runscott 03-20-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 976939)
Yes...you are right...those cobbs are as elusive as the white squirrel. Best of luck for the sweet ol' lady.

I was in Brevard once during the 'White Squirrel Festival'. Interesting part of the world.

T206DK 03-20-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

I couldn't agree more Frank. Seems like some people just get a case of sour grapes when an auction is outed. Thats part of the hobby we have chosen

T206DK 03-20-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 976996)
I was in Brevard once during the 'White Squirrel Festival'. Interesting part of the world.

LOL. White Squirrels are seen alot around my small town....they were brought here by the Kettering family decades ago from overseas...they are not albino's but actually have white fur. Just saw one this morning out back.