Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Speaking of grading companies (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152431)

Leon 06-13-2012 10:29 AM

Speaking of grading companies

It seems like "Global" is trying to make a rebound. They are now Global Authority. I guess they have authority over the whole earth now, I dunno. At any rate I would like to see the confidence our board has in them. So, that being said, what is your opinion (in percentage chance) that this card is altered (in a nefarious manner) in some way?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-11-T206...4565#ht_600wt_

steve B 06-13-2012 10:32 AM

I'm not one to see trimming inside every slab with a big number, and it's very hard to tell from a couple crummy scans.

But I'm not liking the lower edge on this one.

Steve B

T206Collector 06-13-2012 10:41 AM

I said 80% based solely on the presumption that high-grade T206s that do not reside in an SGC or PSA holder are there for a good reason.

White Borders 06-13-2012 10:41 AM

I think there is a pencil mark that has been erased :D

Best Regards and Happy Collecting :)
Craig

barrysloate 06-13-2012 11:03 AM

It looks a little small....

Jaybird 06-13-2012 11:05 AM

Lower edge bump seems odd.

jcmtiger 06-13-2012 11:06 AM

Don't know, can't tell from the scan. A beauty though!!!

Joe

Leon 06-13-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmtiger (Post 1003275)
Don't know, can't tell from the scan. A beauty though!!!

Joe

What's left of it is a beauty :eek:. That thing looks like it's been on more of a diet than I have but that is just my opinion from the scan. BTW, this isn't any formal or scientific poll...it's merely your opinion. Hopefully no lawsuits will come from it. :(

CMIZ5290 06-13-2012 11:32 AM

It looks narrow to me

g_vezina_c55 06-13-2012 11:34 AM

50%

For me , i have not enough confidence in this company for afford a card at 18K graded by global

srs1a 06-13-2012 11:40 AM

I think Global has replaced PRO as the holder of last resort.

BleedinBlue 06-13-2012 11:41 AM

In my experience cards not slabbed by the major TPG's are in these alternate slabs for a reason. However, without looking at the label and just looking at the card I think Ty's a bit thinner than when he started.

Matthew H 06-13-2012 11:43 AM

It's easy to see the boarders are way too narrow.

Edwolf1963 06-13-2012 12:04 PM

100%

It looks like it has a very slight diamond cut left to right on top and the same left to right on bottom which to me suggests trimming. Otherwise it would be opposite (right to left) bottom and consistent.

calvindog 06-13-2012 12:11 PM

Absolutely trimmed.

HRBAKER 06-13-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1003308)
Absolutely trimmed.

...and not detected on Monday.

atx840 06-13-2012 12:34 PM

100%

That is quite the markup. Auction

http://i.imgur.com/uQW0G.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/7YG28.jpg

rdixon1208 06-13-2012 01:28 PM

PM Sent

PM sent to the guys who said - It is not altered- (0%).
I just inherited some beautiful cards that my grandfather found in an attic when he was a boy. Thought you might be interested. :cool:

darwinbulldog 06-13-2012 01:37 PM

I'm awarding 2 points to Craig.

RobertGT 06-13-2012 01:48 PM

Such a flowery, poetic write-up on the auction from Mile High Card in 2010, which conveniently omits the key fact that this card HAS BEEN TRIMMED. Just a tad more important than the description of Cobb's "pleasing brown tool of his trade," don't you think?

"Graded NM/MT 8 by Global Authority Inc. Rarely is a collectible afforded the near cult like status within a hobby that the T206 issue has. At the very precipice of the release are the four cards that portray Tyrus Cobb; the offered card is the "Bat Off" version of Cobb's pasteboard and features the great batsman with an intense measured focus as if he is almost in a trance-like state, preoccupied with the game that he ruled over. Recently graded by the newer version of Global Authority the card presents as an exceptional stunner with a nearly perfectly centered image colliding with a positively exquisite image that is precisely focused. The colors are perfectly struck with an emerald green reverse giving way to the slate gray of Cobb's Tiger sweater and the pleasing brown of the tool of his trade. The surface shimmers underneath a supple layering of petite gloss while the reverse is pleasingly presented with a stain-free Sweet Caporal advertisement. Each of the four corners holds captive the retention of precisely formed points and appear just as they did the day the offered card was produced. A prestigious collectible that appears and is offered today in the highest accordance of the opined grade."

SetBuilder 06-13-2012 01:54 PM

Just 3 points:

1. The card is authentic.
2. It's a great looking card regardless of the holder.
3. It's not worth $18,000.

HOF Auto Rookies 06-13-2012 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kinda looks similar...

Ronnie73 06-13-2012 03:37 PM

I'm sure the card was first sent to PSA or SGC and came back trimmed and if your in the business to make money by any means, you would then send it to one of the many not so well known graders. The card would have been great if it had an American Beauty back.

Frank A 06-13-2012 04:35 PM

I do not believe that card is altered, or at least you cannot tell from that scan. Comparing both yhe front and back of several SC cards to the scan it looks good to me. Frank

Brendan 06-13-2012 06:23 PM

Looks trimmed or touched to me. I'm curious to know how the opinions would differ if this was in a PSA or SGC holder.

jbsports33 06-13-2012 06:32 PM

Speaking of grading companies

Something is not right with this card, color/corner/edge could all been touched to make it look better

Exhibitman 06-14-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1003287)
Hopefully no lawsuits will come from it. :(

Watch out for Archive!

edhans 06-14-2012 10:28 AM

Re: Speaking of grading companies

The bottom border is almost certainly trimmed.

freakhappy 06-14-2012 12:02 PM

opinion

Some great opinions about the Cobb in here, but the fact is that nobody knows for sure. It seems like there is a reason that it is in GA holder and not one of the reputable grader's...

If this card was raw, I'm sure the opinions would not be as heavy on the side of being altered. The bottom edge looks like it could be a problem, but realistically there are so many shapes and sizes of T206's, how can anyone be close to 100% sure about this? I have seen T206's that look exactly the same in an SGC or PSA holder...the size doesn't look that bad.

That being said, there is no way I would purchase a high dollar card in a holder other than the big three.

Frank A 06-14-2012 01:00 PM

Here we go again. I remember years ago when gai came into the market, many many people jumped to their service. They had the best grader in the business. Now they are called a non reputable grader. Why? Are the other grading co. more reputable? Is a company who would grade a suposed trimed Wagner card reputable? What is the % of cards misgraded by each company? None of you know! There always seems to be a witch hunt on this site. I don't own that card nor do I have anything to do with GA, but I think that card is good. Frank

Leon 06-14-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank A (Post 1003618)
Here we go again. I remember years ago when gai came into the market, many many people jumped to their service. They had the best grader in the business. Now they are called a non reputable grader. Why? Are the other grading co. more reputable? Is a company who would grade a suposed trimed Wagner card reputable? What is the % of cards misgraded by each company? None of you know! There always seems to be a witch hunt on this site. I don't own that card nor do I have anything to do with GA, but I think that card is good. Frank

No witch hunt Frank but certainly some ignorant people. If you had a 40k card would you have it in a holder that wouldn't bring 19k? If you think the card is good then you should buy it because I guarantee you it would bring a lot more in a PSA, SGC or BVG holder. The reason people dis on GAI is because their grading sucks.

Jaybird 06-14-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1003623)
No witch hunt Frank but certainly some ignorant people. If you had a 40k card would you have it in a holder that wouldn't bring 19k? If you think the card is good then you should buy it because I guarantee you it would bring a lot more in a PSA, SGC or BVG holder. The reason people dis on GAI is because their grading sucks.

tell us what you really think ;)

BleedinBlue 06-14-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1003623)
The reason people dis on GAI is because their grading sucks.

I'm just guessing GAI won't be advertising on this site anytime soon...

RobertGT 06-14-2012 01:51 PM

Here is what the seller says about his card in response to my question. Does not exactly inspire confidence:

Hi,
Interested in this card. Do you guarantee the card is not trimmed? Will you refund my money if it comes back trimmed from PSA or SGC?
Thanks,
Rob

just got the card.sorry cant guarantee anything i dont own that will fall on global authority,but i will be sending it to psa soon for a look at this point if they cross it we can talk . thanks for looking

- justballin3

terjung 06-14-2012 02:33 PM

Looks to have sold at least twice at public auction. REA gave the opinion that the card was trimmed when writing it up for their auction in 2008.

Graded NM-MT 8 by Global Authority. This is a very attractive highly graded example of one of the four classic poses of Ty Cobb from the T206 White Borders series. The T206 Ty Cobb “bat off shoulder” pose is one of the most popular of all T206s, and one of the most highly regarded of all Cobb cards. This example has a particularly bold image, which really "jumps" from the card, and extremely vibrant colors. In our opinion, this card has been trimmed, though someone else could have a different opinion. Perfectly centered. This is very sharp-looking card; extremely clean, both front and back, with four razor-sharp corners. Sweet Caporal advertising on the reverse. Our consignor paid $3,700 for this card at auction a couple years ago (in 2010). The SMR value for a PSA NM-MT 8 is $17,500. Reserve $1,000. Estimate (open).

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2012/208.html

Sold in REA 2008 for $2,252
Sold in Mile High 2012 for $3,796.10

Leon 06-16-2012 04:55 PM

I would probably go with REA's analysis on this one. I mainly wanted to see the confidence level in GAI nowadays. That being said ALL of the grading companies make mistakes and I understand this was only one graded card by GAI (albeit a high profile one). It's just a matter of who you trust most and what you prefer as far as grading goes. As I have said many times, I have a ton of cards graded (almost all of my fairly expensive ones) and a ton not graded. I like 'em both ways. At the end of the day I collect cards and not plastic or a number on a label (not that there is anything wrong with collecting those things). Thanks to all who voted...And something tells me the Cobby in the 8 holder won't bring near the asking price, but who knows??