Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Ebay Question... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=157053)

jgmp123 09-27-2012 01:00 PM

Ebay Question...

So I recently won an item on eBay and within 24 hours received a message from a seller (not the one I purchased from) that said:

Good Morning,
I noticed you bought a 1953 Connie Mack Autographed Postcard/Note on here. I am about to sell a few of my high end signed items from my collection. Babe Ruth Signed Ball, Lou Gehrig Ball, Roger Maris Signed Ball. Mostly players Ruth, Gehrig, Clemente, Wagner, Munson, Robinson, Mathewson, Ott, Cobb, Foxx and Young. All my items come authenticated and with a Certificate of Authenticity each. Let me know which players you are interested in and I will send pictures and prices.

My question is: How did this seller know that I purchased the item since eBay is supposed to know keep the buyers identity private...

Am I missing something? Did anyone else get this message?

isaac2004 09-27-2012 01:04 PM

best guess is if you payed through paypal your email was on the invoice, viewable to the seller

toyman55 09-27-2012 01:09 PM

That doesn't make sense since it was a different seller that contacted him, not the one he bought it from. You might try contacting ebay and ask them how he got your email address because I thought all information was protected too.

isaac2004 09-27-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toyman55 (Post 1039831)
That doesn't make sense since it was a different seller that contacted him, not the one he bought it from. You might try contacting ebay and ask them how he got your email address because I thought all information was protected too.

wow i totally missed that part in the post, maybe different ebay accounts for the same guy, or a friend? i know that you can look in the bids and see the 1st and last character of the bidder with their feedback rating.... im lost after that

old13man 09-27-2012 01:20 PM

I received that message in the past. PM me with the name and I will tell you if it was the same guy. I have no idea how they got my name either?

jgmp123 09-27-2012 01:21 PM

Guy's ID is out of Maryland...Maybe it may ring a bell eBay ID: loveofbaseball55

Obviously, just making everyone aware, in case it is a scam.

otismalibu 09-27-2012 01:22 PM

Was it a message thru eBay's system or a direct email? If it was an eBay message, they might have found your eBay ID via feedback (left or received) for that item.

old13man 09-27-2012 01:25 PM

Interesting...must be same guy. Mine was out of MD, loveofbaseball54. He sent message through ebay to me.

jgmp123 09-27-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otismalibu (Post 1039838)
Was it a message thru eBay's system or a direct email? If it was an eBay message, they might have found your eBay ID via feedback (left or received) for that item.

Direct eBay Message...No feedback left yet. Just paid for item yesterday...

jgmp123 09-27-2012 01:30 PM

I told him to email me what he had...this is what was sent...Pretty hard to believe a guy could assemble that nice of a collection and then sell it all off...

Hi James,
Thanks for your interest. Here is my full current up to date list of autographed baseballs below. Which baseballs would you like to see photos of? Thanks, Steve

Babe Ruth
Lou Gehrig
Roger Maris
Thurman Munson
Jackie Robinson
Rogers Hornsby
Tris Speaker
Walter Johnson
Honus Wagner
Larry Nap Lajoie
Eddie Collins
Jimmie Foxx
Christy Mathewson
Cy Young
Mel Ott
Roberto Clemente

ibuysportsephemera 09-27-2012 01:30 PM

If it is someone who already knows your user name (ie someone who you purchased something from in the past) he can see all of your activity by doing an advanced search by bidder.

Jeff

isaac2004 09-27-2012 01:35 PM

Well this guy joined ebay over a month ago and has won 2 auctions, both for refrigerator magnets

interesting...

jgmp123 09-27-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera (Post 1039842)
If it is someone who already knows your user name (ie someone who you purchased something from in the past) he can see all of your activity by doing an advanced search by bidder.

Jeff

Yeah...Never purchased from him....I'm assuming it is just SPAM, but I am just wondering how he did it...

otismalibu 09-27-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

No feedback left yet. Just paid for item yesterday...
So the seller didn't already leave feedback for you? Some do, as soon as payment is received.

jgmp123 09-27-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otismalibu (Post 1039847)
So the seller didn't already leave feedback for you? Some do, as soon as payment is received.

You are correct! :) Just noticed that seller left feedback this morning...

So obviously this guy is trolling feedback...

earlywynnfan 09-27-2012 03:11 PM

Ask him to send some photos, let's see what crap he's peddlin'.

Ken

jgmp123 09-27-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1039861)
Ask him to send some photos, let's see what crap he's peddlin'.

Ken

Already on it...sent an email a few hours ago requesting the pics...:D

jgmp123 09-27-2012 04:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is what was sent...any thoughts?

jgmp123 09-27-2012 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I asked him for a pic of the COA's...

mighty bombjack 09-27-2012 05:08 PM

As expected, those look horrible.

mcgwirecom 09-27-2012 05:12 PM

There is one way to find out, but its a round about way. If I know someone's Ebay ID I can search for things he has won. But you need to already know the ID. If you also sell things then your ID would show up on those.

HexsHeroes 09-27-2012 05:33 PM

I am not a stalker; but stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night

It's time consuming, but it's possible, through continually capturing member ids through other buyer and seller ids posted in feedback. Literally possible to create a list of several thousand member id's (and respective feedback #) over the course of 8-12 hours of drilling through feedback responses. Bonus is when brief descriptions of lots won, and winning bid amount is also captured. With that info, possible to create a brief member profile of the types of items, and what he/she is willing to.

jgmp123 09-27-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HexsHeroes (Post 1039908)

It's time consuming, but it's possible, through continually capturing member ids through other buyer and seller ids posted in feedback. Literally possible to create a list of several thousand member id's (and respective feedback #) over the course of 8-12 hours of drilling through feedback responses. Bonus is when brief descriptions of lots won, and winning bid amount is also captured. With that info, possible to create a brief member profile of the types of items, and what he/she is willing to.

I'm not sure to be scared to fall asleep tonight or to laugh at how much time this guy put into the operation...Also, price was $1500 each if anyone is interested!! :D:D:eek::D:D

deebro041 09-27-2012 06:09 PM

I agree with Vincent. I've gone trolling before when I was outbid on an item I looked at the winning bidders feedback score and what % he has dealt with that seller. If it is high then go into the sellers feedback and try and matchup feedback scores to find who won the item i was interested in. It doesn't always work and is time consuming but sometimes you can find out who won items. I have never contacted the bidder, just curious to see who's buying.:eek:

HexsHeroes 09-27-2012 08:16 PM

Don't be afraid ...

. . . I just need to get a hobby to pass my time :rolleyes:

jgmp123 09-28-2012 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HexsHeroes (Post 1039946)

. . . I just need to get a hobby to pass my time :rolleyes:

+1...Truly frightened now... :o

Wymers Auction 09-29-2012 10:55 PM

[QUOTE=jgmp123;1039829]So I recently won an item on eBay and within 24 hours received a message from a seller (not the one I purchased from) that said:

Good Morning,
I noticed you bought a 1953 Connie Mack Autographed Postcard/Note on here. I am about to sell a few of my high end signed items from my collection. Babe Ruth Signed Ball, Lou Gehrig Ball, Roger Maris Signed Ball. Mostly players Ruth, Gehrig, Clemente, Wagner, Munson, Robinson, Mathewson, Ott, Cobb, Foxx and Young. All my items come authenticated and with a Certificate of Authenticity each. Let me know which players you are interested in and I will send pictures and prices.

My question is: How did this seller know that I purchased the item since eBay is supposed to know keep the buyers identity private...

I don't trust privacy policies of such large companies. When I search for something on ebay these items will show as ads on my search engine browser not always, but often.

gashouse34 09-30-2012 12:51 AM

I also remember getting a message that is eerily like this one a couple years ago or so right after I purchased a fairly pricey autograph. I remember him telling me he was going to be in my area and could meet me if I was interested:eek:...of course I never responded. Back then it was easier to ebay stalk someone. Also I live nowhere near maryland and i'm positive this guy is the same spammer

jgmp123 10-01-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gashousegang_1 (Post 1040488)
I also remember getting a message that is eerily like this one a couple years ago or so right after I purchased a fairly pricey autograph. I remember him telling me he was going to be in my area and could meet me if I was interested:eek:...of course I never responded. Back then it was easier to ebay stalk someone. Also I live nowhere near maryland and i'm positive this guy is the same spammer

Brandon,

Funny thing is, the guy is out of Maryland, but said he would be visiting family in Carmel, Indiana...That's about 5 minutes from my work and 20 from my home...:eek: