Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Question on Jake Lamotta in person auto (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=157510)

Republicaninmass 10-08-2012 12:02 PM

Question on Jake Lamotta in person auto

Any words of wisdom of getting Jake's auto on an original "Raging Bull" half sheet movie poster? I'd love to get DeNiro and Scorcese on it one day, but would it be monetarily foolish to drop $40 to get this ceratin piece auto'd by Jake?

advice appreciated

drc 10-08-2012 02:00 PM

It sounds like a reasonable thing to do. It's one of my favorite movies.

pclpads 10-08-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drc (Post 1042963)
It sounds like a reasonable thing to do. It's one of my favorite movies.

+1 He's 91 so I wouldn't delay doing it for the sake of $40. It'd be a unique and nifty keepsake.

Republicaninmass 10-08-2012 03:01 PM

I had no idea he was still alive! I think it woul dbe cool to have in Silver on the poster, then have to stalk down deniro and marty!

Thanks guys

Scott Garner 10-09-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 1042964)
+1 He's 91 so I wouldn't delay doing it for the sake of $40. It'd be a unique and nifty keepsake.

+ 1
Aside from the aesthetics, it would definitely enhance the value of the poster down the road... ;)
Get it signed ASAP

pclpads 10-09-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1042979)
I had no idea he was still alive! I think it woul dbe cool to have in Silver on the poster, then have to stalk down deniro and marty!

Thanks guys

You talkin' to me?? :D

JimStinson 10-09-2012 03:01 PM

JimStinson

I was unlucky enough to have promoted a baseball card show after the movie "Raging Bull" Came out with Jake LaMotta as the signing guest. I had to arrange interviews and his showing up at the show and worst of all I had to pick him up at the airport and hang out with him for three days. Even though the show was in Florida and he arrived from New York where it was then having a blizzard and 10 degrees, he was wearing just a T-shirt , no comb , toothbrush etc. I asked him about his luggage and he said "I Travel light"

He was all around probably the most despicable human being I have ever met. People have asked me many times if HE IS AS BAD IN REAL LIFE AS IN THE MOVIE ...My answer is HE IS MUCH WORSE. The agreement was he was to sign at the show for 4 hours each day for two days. On the second day he refused to sign unless paid more money (we already had a contract) several shouting matchs ensued followed by a stare-downs. I was sure he was going to take a poke at me. He was rude to everyone except pretty women and then well...he was embarrassing. I knew his ex-wife Vikki who also lived in Florida and she had already told me what to expect. But his behavior far exceeded even her warnings. On the last day I could not even stand driving him to the airport and paid someone to do it for me.
As a favor when ever I booked celebrity guests for shows I would always leave my credit card open in case they wanted something during their stay. NO ONE ever took advantage except Jake who ran up a $700.00 tab which to this day I have a hard time imagining how one person could have done that much damage in two days. That was over 20 years ago and he's probably gotten worse since then. Unless you have $40.00 or whatever he is charging to sign something to just throw away, I can;t imagine him sending it back. Unless he has someone taking care of those matters as he personally could care less.

As for getting the autographs of Robert DeNiro and Martin Scorcese, the chances are slim and none and slim is out of town. Both are very private , detest signing and unless you happened to literally bump into them on the street with the item you wanted signed you'll have to (maybe) settle for just Jake.

That being said will end on a positive :) and say that RAGING BULL was probably the best boxing film ever made

Republicaninmass 10-09-2012 03:26 PM

Thanks for the info on Lamotta. Sounds WORSE in real life like you stated! Aside from being in the film business myself, I have a very close tie with both of them, but not sure if I could ask him for their autograph...unless we were going to be at a function. I did see Deniro a few months back at a birthday party, but I knew it wasnt the time or the place to be carrying a huge poster around. Going to have to call in the big guns for that one!

JimStinson 10-09-2012 06:20 PM

JimStinson

Well you are luckier than the average "Joe" will tell you a story that Vikki told me that might "open the door" for you I don;t know but here goes ....
The original book "Raging Bull" was basically all a lie, 99% fiction. Martin and DeNiro were well into production of the film when they went to visit His late wife Vikki , and she told them exactly what I mentioned above and they .......DeNiro and Martin sat at her kitchen table and elected what to do. Continue with a false script or write it correctly. And to their credit they chose the later which cost alot of Hollywood money. But they got it right. Also DeNiro slept on Vikki's couch prior to the film being released and DeNiro actually sparred with Jake and also very amazing is that after spending time with Jake I realized DeNiro had copied EXACTLY his movements like they way he walked and talked.......amazing ! Good luck with your colllecting pursuits

drc 10-09-2012 07:47 PM

Well, if you've seen the movie, it portrays him as a pretty horrible person. And not too bright. Makes Travis Bickle seem like a likeable guy.

Actually, I think Bickle had some positive, likeable qualities, but was profoundly mentally disturbed and didn't know how to connect to people or live in a society-- there was something missing in his brain. Oh, and ends up going on a blood-splattered killing spree. Arguably, the most chilling character in the history of film.

My movie tangent.