Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Steve Rocchi (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=162732)

darin223 02-02-2013 05:27 PM

Steve Rocchi

What's up with this guy? He is president of PSA, then forms GAI, now GFA. This GFA crap is being bought at ubid by the hundreds, especially Mantle, Williams, and DiMaggio. This guy is a joke, and ripping off. What a clown

darin223 02-02-2013 05:32 PM

Ripping people off, sorry.

Mr. Zipper 02-02-2013 05:38 PM

There have been a few threads here pertaining to GFA. One fairly recently. :)

travrosty 02-02-2013 07:57 PM

i agree , everything he touches turns to seed, psa, gai, now this.

JasonD08 02-02-2013 08:16 PM

minimum $100 per signature 20 day turn around.....where do I sign up?

thetruthisoutthere 02-03-2013 12:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonD08 (Post 1082772)
minimum $100 per signature 20 day turn around.....where do I sign up?

When GFA (Guaranteed Forensic Authenticators) first appeared in Sept. 2011, they had three pricing tiers of service ($10.00, $15.00 and $30.00).

All of a sudden, out of the blue recently, Rocchi's pricing skyrocketed. The fact still remains though, that there is no method to contact GFA and Rocchi.

This is the kind of crap Rocchi has been "forensically authenticating."

Attachment 86482

Attachment 86483

cubsfan-budman 02-03-2013 12:24 PM

nice of them to also put that giant sticker on the front of the piece. :(

Leon 02-03-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman (Post 1083090)

And that has to be one of the most stupid things in the history of authenticating. TPG's doing that should be sued for destroying and devaluing the item. To me it's inexcusable.

thetruthisoutthere 02-03-2013 12:50 PM

Rocchi because the primary "authenticator" after AlwaysAtAuction (also known as Always-Fake-At Auction...giving full credit to Fudd) changed their company name to AtAuction.

AlwaysAtAuction's primary "authenticators" were Chris "I Never Saw An Autograph I Didn't Like" Morales, Ted "What Am I Looking At" Taylor" and Drew Max.

Rocchi simply picked up where Morales, Max and Taylor left off.

Mr. Zipper 02-03-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman (Post 1083090)

Probably to cover the previous hologram of one of the usual suspects.

Mr. Zipper 02-03-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1083093)
And that has to be one of the most stupid things in the history of authenticating. TPG's doing that should be sued for destroying and devaluing the item. To me it's inexcusable.

True story.

I can tell you for a fact that some submitters INSIST on specific sticker placement, including right next to the signature on vintage items. There have been cases where the TPA has called the submitter back on the phone more than once and asked, "Are you absolutely sure you want the sticker there? We can put it somewhere else..." And the person has insisted.

So it may very well not be the TPA's fault when you see obtrusive sticker placement.

mighty bombjack 02-03-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1083093)

I have to disagree with this. The authenticators only do this if the customer requests it (I know this is true of most alphabets, but can't be certain of GFA). Hence, I do not blame the authenticators, but the people sending items in and telling the companies to do it. You can get an item authenticated without putting a sticker on it, people! Further, people who are getting items authenticated should recognize how many collectors hate these stickers and won't consider an item that has one. I can crack a slab, I can throw away a letter. I won't purchase a sticker.

mighty bombjack 02-03-2013 02:39 PM

Beat me to it there Steve.

HRBAKER 02-03-2013 02:42 PM

That sort of reinforces the notion that with a lot of collectors the authentication (and overt evidence of it) is just as important as the piece itself. That right there is the result of some great marketing.

mighty bombjack 02-03-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1083179)
That sort of reinforces the notion that with a lot of collectors the authentication (and overt evidence of it) is just as important as the piece itself. That right there is the result of some great marketing.

Yes, as well as the result of people being previously burned by bad material. Even if what they have is bad, a bogus cert can provide bogus peace of mind.

HRBAKER 02-03-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mighty bombjack (Post 1083184)
Yes, as well as the result of people being previously burned by bad material. Even if what they have is bad, a bogus cert can provide bogus peace of mind.

Good point Wayne, but wouldn't a sticker on the back provide the same assurance?

mighty bombjack 02-03-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1083187)
Good point Wayne, but wouldn't a sticker on the back provide the same assurance?

For many it would, but I can imagine someone valuing the display value of a sticker. SEE EVERYONE! SOME "EXPERT" SAYS IT'S REAL!

Wymers Auction 02-03-2013 03:09 PM

Am I wrong here, but do we really care where they place the sticker on a fake? Maybe I am wrong, but that Mantle looks bad to me.

HRBAKER 02-03-2013 03:11 PM

No I don't think so. We were all commenting in general after it was pointed out that many times customers rq that the stickers be put on the obverse of an item rather than the back.

mighty bombjack 02-03-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wymers Auction (Post 1083196)
Am I wrong here, but do we really care where they place the sticker on a fake? Maybe I am wrong, but that Mantle looks bad to me.

I think we all agree that the Mantle is bad. The sticker talk was a sidebar discussion.

Wymers Auction 02-03-2013 03:15 PM

Thanks Jeff. I would agree placement on a good item is very important and I certainly would rather have it on the back, but I guess if someone pays their money and just has to have it on the front oh well.

RichardSimon 02-03-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wymers Auction (Post 1083202)
Thanks Jeff. I would agree placement on a good item is very important and I certainly would rather have it on the back, but I guess if someone pays their money and just has to have it on the front oh well.

You just cannot argue with bad taste.

travrosty 02-03-2013 04:10 PM

they can just refuse to put the sticker on the item, if a customer asked for the sticker to be placed over the autograph, covering it, would the tpa do it? you got to say no sometimes.

drc 02-04-2013 07:54 AM

At least several years back, I was told the PSA rule was they automatically put the sticker on a ball, but would instead put it on the LOA if the submitter asked it not be put on the ball.

Plinvestments 02-04-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drc (Post 1083445)
At least several years back, I was told the PSA rule was they automatically put the sticker on a ball, but would instead put it on the LOA if the submitter asked it not be put on the ball.

PSA asks you where you would like the sticker on the submission form.

Leon 02-04-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1083115)
True story.

I can tell you for a fact that some submitters INSIST on specific sticker placement, including right next to the signature on vintage items. There have been cases where the TPA has called the submitter back on the phone more than once and asked, "Are you absolutely sure you want the sticker there? We can put it somewhere else..." And the person has insisted.

So it may very well not be the TPA's fault when you see obtrusive sticker placement.

On this one I agree with Travis. Sometimes ya just gotta say no. If a customer asked me to put a sticker on the obverse I would give them a choice. It goes on the reverse or you are getting it back without a sticker. Pick one.

travrosty 02-04-2013 01:15 PM

i see jim stinson private signing boxing photos with that stupid sticker on the front now. the photo already comes with a stinson coa showing the boxer signing the photo, but stupid people throw that away and have a psa sticker put on the front of the photo. craziness.

Deertick 02-05-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travrosty (Post 1083590)
i see jim stinson private signing boxing photos with that stupid sticker on the front now. the photo already comes with a stinson coa showing the boxer signing the photo, but stupid people throw that away and have a psa sticker put on the front of the photo. craziness.

At least now we know it is authentic. ;)