Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SimpleAuction and SGC Announcement (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=164792)

bobfreedman 03-06-2013 12:56 PM

SimpleAuction and SGC Announcement

On behalf on SimpleAuction I am pleased to announce that we have recently taken over responsibility for the redesign and management of the SGC web site and will be working to re-develop and improve its functionality, including the "set registry" which has been long awaited. We will also be adding new features that we believe will help the collector immensely.

As we develop the new interfaces, we will be seeking volunteers to help test the added features. If you are interested in helping to create a world class web site, please contact Bob Freedman at bob@simpleauctionsite.com.

Thank you

E93 03-06-2013 01:17 PM

Great news!

egbeachley 03-06-2013 01:20 PM

Awesome. Working through the population reports was so brutal I haven't been there in years.

Leon 03-06-2013 01:33 PM

Congratulations to both SimpleAuctionsite and SGC. Sounds like a great partnership. Good luck in ya'lls endeavors..

honus94566 03-06-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egbeachley (Post 1099448)
Awesome. Working through the population reports was so brutal I haven't been there in years.

+1

I still can't even figure out how to see a pop report on SGC's site...

glchen 03-06-2013 01:54 PM

That's great to hear. With Beckett's current re-design and now SGC's, hopefully we'll see better registries now to compete with PSA. Ideally, I would like:

(1) The ability to add multiple pictures for each slot so that you can add back scans and variations (like color tints) to the slot.
(2) I think population information should be there too.
(3) I don't know if this will fly, but it would be nice if you could create a set (or showcase) where you can add cards from different TPG's or even raw cards. This wouldn't have to count for the competition aspect of it. (That is, it could be worth 0 points) However, it would still be nice so that you could track the kinds of cards that you have for that set even if it weren't currently graded by SGC.
(4) One of the bigger things, and I don't know how much work Simple will have after the re-design is done, but there needs to be effort afterwards to maintain the Set Registry. Sometime, it can take forever for SGC to make modifications to a set, such as adding new slots to a Player set. PSA isn't fast either, but usually you can count on them making the changes in 1-2 months after the request. Ideally SGC could do something similar.

For population reports, as others have said, this needs to be fixed too. One of the problems is that you have to enter the year for the set. This isn't a problem for post-war sets, but for a lot of prewar cards that SGC grades, this can be tough. For example, Real Photo postcards can have years like c1920s, c.1920s, c.1920's, 1920-1922 and so forth, and if you don't input the year in the exact correct format, you won't get the set back. So if you're not exactly sure of the set year, you can't find it. Also, if you just want all of a player cards, that can be tough also. For example, if you put in Babe Ruth, you get all of Ruth's cards, but the ordering can be incorrect w/ the circa years at the end and so forth.

Ronnie73 03-06-2013 03:02 PM

I'd like to see more advanced sets added to the registry. For example, a T205 and T206 master set with all front/back combinations. I know for this to really happen right, SGC would have to start identifying cards with their factory numbers and overprints too. There are many more advanced collectors now than ever and I believe this change will eventually need to happen anyways.

pawpawdiv9 03-06-2013 03:06 PM

As a SGC member..I personally like to be able to ADD other TPG (PSA,BVG) to my set or even raw cards.

smtjoy 03-06-2013 03:16 PM

Awesome news!

Bosox Blair 03-06-2013 03:35 PM

Hi Bob,

Overall, I view this as great news. I am a user of the site and the Registry. I think improvements will help - especially the population reports, which have always been a bit difficult to use, I think.

Question: I have spent a fair bit of time uploading many nice scans to my current SGC Registry...I'm assuming that the overhaul will not cause me to lose any of this?

I have had a recent bad experience like this with a different website overhaul, and it was very disappointing to have to start from scratch again because of an "improvement". :mad:

AndyG09 03-06-2013 03:53 PM

After talking with Earl from SGC today, he stated that he thought it will be a pretty amazing site after completion. Glad to hear SGC is stepping it up!

Best,

Andy

Matt E. 03-06-2013 04:50 PM

Hopefully, the current information, images and cert numbers will be easily transferred to the new site. I look forward to a fresh look and a smooth transition.

Thanks,

Matt E.

bobfreedman 03-06-2013 05:09 PM

Maintains data

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosox Blair (Post 1099523)
Hi Bob,

Overall, I view this as great news. I am a user of the site and the Registry. I think improvements will help - especially the population reports, which have always been a bit difficult to use, I think.

Question: I have spent a fair bit of time uploading many nice scans to my current SGC Registry...I'm assuming that the overhaul will not cause me to lose any of this?

I have had a recent bad experience like this with a different website overhaul, and it was very disappointing to have to start from scratch again because of an "improvement". :mad:

Our intention is that any data that is already within SGC's database, will stay intact. There will be minimal, if any, impact to the end users (you). I encourage anyone that has any ideas, suggestions or questions to either email or call me.

Bob Freedman
919-824-9501

Republicaninmass 03-06-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 1099512)
as a sgc member..i personally like to be able to add other tpg (psa,bvg) to my set or even raw cards.

this 10x!

Bosox Blair 03-06-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobfreedman (Post 1099580)
Our intention is that any data that is already within SGC's database, will stay intact. There will be minimal, if any, impact to the end users (you). I encourage anyone that has any ideas, suggestions or questions to either email or call me.

Bob Freedman
919-824-9501

Thanks, Bob! :)

Cheers,
Blair

bobfreedman 03-07-2013 09:32 PM

Thank you to everyone he has volunteered to help out. We will be contacting people within the next couple of weeks to start the testing process.

Publius 03-07-2013 11:17 PM

Great news, as I've never been able to figure out how to even ADD cards to the SGC registry! Start with making things easy for your clients, and build on that! Looking forward to it!