Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Negro League Baseball Collectibles Guide (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=171311)

bcbgcbrcb 06-25-2013 03:51 PM

Negro League Baseball Collectibles Guide

I recently completed a year-long project of putting together the industry's first Negro League Baseball Collectibles Guide. I believe, in the future, this guide will be the "go to" reference for anyone looking to start or expand upon a Negro League Baseball collection.

The guide will be printed in full color with approximately 270 full-size pages (8 1/2" X 11"). There will be two major sections to the guide. The first will cover all significant Negro League cards which are currently catalogued in the Standard Catalogue of Baseball Cards, including Cuban, Puerto Rican, Venezuelan, etc. issues. The second section will cover all other paper collectible issues picturing significant Negro Leaguers including postcards, original photos, broadsides, premiums, cabinet cards, etc. In total, there will be approximately 1,000 items pictured in the guide. Price ranges for every item listed will also be included.

The initial print run for the guide will be 100 copies with future print runs to be either the same or possibly move up to 250 copies. As of right now, a maximum number of copies of 1,000 is planned but that could change based on customer demand.

In order to assist in covering the significant printing costs of a full color guide, I am offering a very limited number of advertising pages for sale. This past week, I was able to secure an exclusive advertising agreement (no other auction houses will be allowed to advertise) with Hake's as their current auction material, particularly the Richard Merkin collection, is a perfect fit for this book.

As previously mentioned, there are only a couple of ad pages available so anyone interested, please e-mail me privately for details at: vguerrerobb@yahoo.com. Ads will be taken on a first come, first serve basis. Before each new print run, you will have the option to renew your ad or cancel if you wish.

I would like the guide to go to print within the next couple of weeks, so please let me know ASAP if interested and please don't hesitate to e-mail me with any questions.

At this time, I am not taking any advance orders for the guide but if you send me an e-mail, I will reserve a copy for you and send you an invoice once I have the books in hand. The cost will be $29.95 plus USPS shipping.

Thank you for your consideration.

Phil Garry

toppcat 06-25-2013 04:30 PM

Just sent an e-mail-sounds fantastic!

Exhibitman 06-25-2013 04:47 PM

Sounds great, congrats!

bcbgcbrcb 06-25-2013 08:23 PM

Got you, Dave. Thanks, guys!

bcbgcbrcb 06-26-2013 08:16 AM

Only one advertising page left, if anyone is interested, please e-mail me privately at: vguerrerobb@yahoo.com. This is a great opportunity for a serious Negro League Baseball collector to become a buyer of memorabilia from anyone who owns a copy of this guide. Your ad will be a full-size 8 1/2" X 11" page in full color.

Rich Klein 06-26-2013 10:19 AM

Phil

That is a great project, congrats on the completion. As an editor of a bigger book for many years, I know how much work goes into a venture like this

Especially when you have to build from scratch for all practical purposes

Rich

bcbgcbrcb 06-26-2013 10:49 AM

Thanks, Rich, it was a lot of work but a lot of fun as well. I also had a lot of assistance from a fellow Net 54 member, Steven Greenes, and his efforts were instrumental in getting the guide completed in such a quick time frame.

ethicsprof 06-26-2013 11:18 AM

new guide

congratulations, Phil. An amazing accomplishment and one needed in the hobby for some time now.
Similar to Rich, I spent many years as editor of a series of eleven volumes--
in the area of psychoanalysis,however-- and salute your efforts on such an important venture.
I certainly would like to purchase a volume and will send an email to you
immediately. If possible, I'd surely like your autograph!
all the best,
barry

h2oya311 06-26-2013 11:26 AM

Congrats on the accomplishment Phil!!!

Please set aside a copy of the guide for me! An autograph would be appreciated ;)

Derek

bcbgcbrcb 06-26-2013 11:38 AM

You got it, Barry & Derek, thanks a lot!

Rich Klein 06-26-2013 12:35 PM

OH

And I agree, bring a signed copy to the National for me :D

bcbgcbrcb 06-26-2013 02:03 PM

Rich:

It doesn't look like I will make the National this year, my wife was pregnant and her due date was 8/3 but the baby came six weeks early and was born this past Friday, 6/21. Definitely beats a tenth straight National for me!

If you would like a copy, please send me an e-mail or PM and I will reserve a copy for you.

Thanks

pariah1107 06-26-2013 09:35 PM

Phil, a worthy project, and hope you can elaborate on content.

What is the time frame, eras encompassed?
Are African American teams outside the Negro Leagues covered?
What items are highlighted, featured?
After completion, what were some of the more surprising results from your research and evaluation?

I realize that many of these things will be summarized in the book, but am mining for pre-print info.:D If there is a pre-order list put me on it.

Respectfully, Ty

cyseymour 06-26-2013 09:52 PM

Sounds terrific! Email sent.

Kenny Cole 06-26-2013 09:56 PM

Phil,

Congratulations on the new addition!!! That definitely beats hitting the national again. Best,

Kenny

ZenPop 06-26-2013 10:40 PM

Double Congrats!

Sounds awesome! (both the baby and the guide!)

Are you already finished with the cover?
(I'm a designer / illustrator... and these kind of things are important to me!... ha ha)

Cheers!

bcbgcbrcb 06-27-2013 04:25 AM

John:

Yes, the cover is done, I will post a scan of it once I have the books in hand.

Ty:

Some good questions:

The time frame covered ranges from the mid-1880's through the early 1950's when the integration of MLB greatly diluted the Negro Leagues.

In addition to the true Negro Leagues, the Winter Leagues in Cuba, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, etc. are also included as well as a few early Minor League Baseball integrated teams.

Highlights include images of the rarest HOF'ers, Frank Grant, Sol White, Effa Manley, Ben Taylor, Turkey Stearnes, etc.

If you shoot me an e-mail or PM, I will reserve a copy of the guide for you.

Thanks!

bcbgcbrcb 06-27-2013 10:49 AM

Just an update, the final ad page has been taken for my initial print run of 100 guides. If anyone else would like to reserve a copy of the guide, please e-mail me at vguerrerobb@yahoo.com or send me a PM.

Thanks!

Runscott 06-27-2013 10:50 AM

Email sent - definitely interested in a copy. I think this is something that will be highly interesting, even though the era of black baseball items I collect is earlier and more obscure. This should be a very interesting item for anyone interested in baseball history.

FirstYearCards 06-27-2013 05:18 PM

Looking forward to book. Bill.