Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Future pre-war card scam... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=172405)

vintagetoppsguy 07-15-2013 10:58 AM

Future pre-war card scam...

just waiting to happen...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSA-and-SGC-...9#ht_83wt_1172

Tobacco&Gum 07-15-2013 11:03 AM

Unreal!:mad:

ullmandds 07-15-2013 11:05 AM

crazy is right? he asked the TPG's to "buy them back?" What a lunatic!

brianp-beme 07-15-2013 11:26 AM

The fungus among us

Shhhh! The seller is one of us:(

Brian

rjackson44 07-15-2013 11:27 AM

Holy smokes David thanks for posting.Now I've seen it all.:eek:

JoeyF1981 07-15-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1158455)

Wow! I cant believe ebay is actually allowing him to sell those.

Gobucsmagic74 07-15-2013 11:39 AM

I wrote him and thanked him in advance for all the potential scams and heartache that may be caused by him putting these back into the market. Will update if he writes back.

insccollectibles 07-15-2013 11:46 AM

Wow. Hopefully he will remove.

vintagetoppsguy 07-15-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1158471)
Shhhh! The seller is one of us:(

Brian

That makes it even more disgusting!

christopher.herman 07-15-2013 12:19 PM

Not cool. PSA and SGC should contact ebay directly about this.

ScottFandango 07-15-2013 12:33 PM

"neat"

did he think people search for things that are "neat" and this would come up...

at least this is an equal opportunity situation and not a lone PSA issue...

UOFLfan7 07-15-2013 12:52 PM

That's awful. Those are no doubt going to be used to scam people out of their hard earned money.

EvilKing00 07-15-2013 01:09 PM

that should be illegal, as its can only be used in a fraud, to re-use the holders and scam someone.

wonkaticket 07-15-2013 02:01 PM

LOL, would you like to buy back my broken E106 PSA 1MK Tinker case? :rolleyes:

7nohitter 07-15-2013 02:28 PM

He best come forward...is he going to pretend that he didn' know what he was doing? Pathetic.

chipperhank44 07-15-2013 02:41 PM

Precisely why I love BVG holders.

ScottFandango 07-15-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipperhank44 (Post 1158549)
Precisely why I love BVG holders.

GARBAGE PLASTIC....BGS scratches very easy, and it is not optically clear...gets fuzzy over time....hold psa, sgc, and bgs slabs together of the same card and you should clearly see the difference...

and now with Anderson leaving Beckett...hold your hats, this could get ugly....Tom Brady 9.5's anyone?????

the 'stache 07-15-2013 02:55 PM

I'm sorry, but this is utter crap. The seller should know full well that a buyer could potentially use these slabs + flips to steal from somebody else.

I want to report this guy, but need a suggestion on how to do so? What category would this best fall under?

vintagetoppsguy 07-15-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the 'stache (Post 1158560)
I want to report this guy, but need a suggestion on how to do so? What category would this best fall under?

I think this falls under the "turn-key scammer operation kit" category :D

Cardboard Junkie 07-15-2013 03:13 PM

At a time in the not so distant past, wrappers were thought to have little if any value. One might surmise that used wax wrappers could only be used to rewrap cards and then sell them as unopened packs. This would NOT be the fault of the seller. There is nothing wrong with selling your own plastic holders and flips, and indeed one day they might have some collectible value.

I don't think this seller, member or not, is doing anything wrong. I also think he is letting us all know that tpg services don't care or give a shite about the whole security issue. If they did the tpg's would want the used flips and slabs off the market. Obviously they don't.

I realize I am in the minority here, just don't think the guy trying to prove a point, (about the lack of concern of tpg's) and trying to recoup some funds by seeling off the Potentially collectible flips and slabs is wrong.

OK....let's hear it! Dave.

kmac32 07-15-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1158565)
At a time in the not so distant past, wrappers were thought to have little if any value. One might surmise that used wax wrappers could only be used to rewrap cards and then sell them as unopened packs. This would NOT be the fault of the seller. There is nothing wrong with selling your own plastic holders and flips, and indeed one day they might have some collectible value.

I don't think this seller, member or not, is doing anything wrong. I also think he is letting us all know that tpg services don't care or give a shite about the whole security issue. If they did the tpg's would want the used flips and slabs off the market. Obviously they don't.

I realize I am in the minority here, just don't think the guy trying to prove a point, (about the lack of concern of tpg's) and trying to recoup some funds by seeling off the Potentially collectible flips and slabs is wrong.

OK....let's hear it! Dave.

Actually, I have some hand cut Koester bread cards that I sent to SGC for grading. They returned them with a flip having NNO designation packaged in between the plastic holders but not encapsulated. I took the cases and put the NNO flip in like a normal card as all I was interested in was for display. If I went to sell the cards, I would remove them before sale so to not misrepresent TPG grading.

My other option which I may do is send these cards to PSA for grading and have an official grade. Either way I would not sell these cards as SGC graded.

thehoodedcoder 07-15-2013 03:46 PM

my email:

you douche....

why would you give a scammer a real flip and real case?

what is wrong with you.

kevin

Cardboard Junkie 07-15-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder (Post 1158593)
my email:

you douche....

why would you give a scammer a real flip and real case?

what is wrong with you.

kevin

Kevin, who is the "scammer" you are referring to? Dave.

auggiedoggy 07-15-2013 03:57 PM

This item should be reported!!! :eek:

This person is a forum member? :(

brianp-beme 07-15-2013 04:02 PM

Jim Manos

The seller's name is Jim Manos.

Brian

ullmandds 07-15-2013 04:04 PM

well...jim has always been a flipper?!

oldcardboard 07-15-2013 04:17 PM

Some people dont make enough money flippin burgers at McD's.

CobbvLajoie1910 07-15-2013 04:22 PM

Jim's '13 REA catalog must not have sold.

Let's give the guy a break here...

brewing 07-15-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher.herman (Post 1158486)
Not cool. PSA and SGC should contact ebay directly about this.

While I agree with the concerns. I believe SGC and PSA should make cases that are more tamper resistant. While I abhor the quality of Becket vintage grading, their cases are tamper resistant.

sb1 07-15-2013 04:39 PM

Easy solution, spend $10 buy them and destroy them.

yanks12025 07-15-2013 04:40 PM

If you guys cared so much, why not just pay the $10 for them and destroy them.

UOFLfan7 07-15-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 1158624)

Good idea, except it would be a waste of $10, and in today's economy...well you know haha.

Anyways, I don't agree with what the seller is doing, but I understand that he isn't breaking any laws. He/she is simply selling empty PSA and Beckett cases. What the buyer does with them has nothing to do with the seller. Its a shame that we have to even have a conversation about this, and what I mean by that is, its sad that forgery is so common nowadays and that there are so many people trying to deceive others.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with the seller is doing, but there is and that's because of how common forgers and conmen and conwomen are in this hobby. I wish things were different, but you always have to be cautious when collection baseball cards. That's one reason the hobby isn't what it used to be. I still love it, and I count myself as someone new to the hobby (Started collecting last year after I got a bunch of cards for my 17th birthday...not even a fan of baseball, but I love baseball cards haha), so I know how hard it is to get into collecting baseball cards. I made many mistakes last year, buying fakes and reprints. You know what they say though, learn from your mistakes, and that's what I did. Read up on baseball cards, joined this forum, and started a pretty good relationship with my local hobby shop owner.

As I said though, forgers are really killing this hobby and making it hard for people new to the hobby to get a good start and not feel helpless.

Just my two cents on this entire thing though, everybody has their own opinions of course..

vintagetoppsguy 07-15-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanks12025 (Post 1158624)

It is an auction, not a BIN. $10 is just the opening bid. I have a feeling they will sell for quite a bit more.

oddball 07-15-2013 05:03 PM

Ugh. Stuff like this makes me vomit in my mouth. :(

yanks12025 07-15-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1158638)
It is an auction, not a BIN. $10 is just the opening bid. I have a feeling they will sell for quite a bit more.

He had them listed before and no one bought them.

oldcardboard 07-15-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UOFLfan7 (Post 1158633)
Good idea, except it would be a waste of $10, and in today's economy...well you know haha.

Anyways, I don't agree with what the seller is doing, but I understand that he isn't breaking any laws. He/she is simply selling empty PSA and Beckett cases. What the buyer does with them has nothing to do with the seller. Its a shame that we have to even have a conversation about this, and what I mean by that is, its sad that forgery is so common nowadays and that there are so many people trying to deceive others.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with the seller is doing, but there is and that's because of how common forgers and conmen and conwomen are in this hobby. I wish things were different, but you always have to be cautious when collection baseball cards. That's one reason the hobby isn't what it used to be. I still love it, and I count myself as someone new to the hobby (Started collecting last year after I got a bunch of cards for my 17th birthday...not even a fan of baseball, but I love baseball cards haha), so I know how hard it is to get into collecting baseball cards. I made many mistakes last year, buying fakes and reprints. You know what they say though, learn from your mistakes, and that's what I did. Read up on baseball cards, joined this forum, and started a pretty good relationship with my local hobby shop owner.

As I said though, forgers are really killing this hobby and making it hard for people new to the hobby to get a good start and not feel helpless.

Just my two cents on this entire thing though, everybody has their own opinions of course..

Yes forgers are not helping and neither are the people selling kits to help make thier job easier. For what, a few extra bucks? If you need money that bad, find another hobby, like maybe work.

ScottFandango 07-15-2013 05:33 PM

Job

Probably has no job because he can barely write....how many grammar mistakes are in that listing? Sad

johnmh71 07-15-2013 06:44 PM

I do plan on buying them without going crazy on the price and I'll smash them to bits. I hate liars, frauds, and scammers. There is way too much of that crap in the hobby already.

Tao_Moko 07-15-2013 07:56 PM

This is just an itty bitty piece of the bigger problem that is tpg. I have a stack of over 100 flips that I keep in a drawer because the tpg's don't seem to care about getting them back. Bottom line is that they need to either get better quickly, reduce their fees substantially or become obsolete. Why not just glue the flip in and give it a foil that if peeled off becomes ruined. There's got to be something simple and low cost they can do.

mintacular 07-15-2013 08:09 PM

Problem

I do plan on buying them without going crazy on the price and I'll smash them to bits. I hate liars, frauds, and scammers. There is way too much of that crap in the hobby already.

Be careful, while your intentions might be good it will be on your eBay record and others might assume/think you are the scammer purchasing them for future rip-offs.

conor912 07-15-2013 08:14 PM

It's got a bid.

Eric72 07-15-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmh71 (Post 1158708)

John,

I applaud your idea and agree, in principle, with what you propose. If you choose to take this route, please document the destruction on YouTube or a similar venue and then post the link here on Net54.

If it were me, I would create a video that showed everything from the opening of the package and smashing of the contents to the close-up images of and then literally burning the paper flips...in one continuous take.

Again, I am on your side at this point. Having said that, I chose not to go down a similar path because the simple act of purchasing these might cast a cloud of suspicion upon the buyer.

Just my two cents.

Best Regards,

Eric

johnmh71 07-15-2013 09:22 PM

Eric:

That is my bid. I'll be sure to share.

John

the 'stache 07-15-2013 09:27 PM

Thank you, John. :)

timn1 07-15-2013 11:58 PM

That seller

may be a presence on this board, but I have never considered him "one of us" --

wonkaticket 07-16-2013 12:03 AM

John, be sure to use your coupon.

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn...mimages/88.jpg

uffda51 07-16-2013 12:06 AM

Buy the holder, not the card . . .

npa589 07-16-2013 12:15 AM

I thought the negative on his eBay profile was rather funny:

"Poorly packed photo arrived creased. Sellers only action was to misspell 'soryy'"

Luke 07-16-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npa589 (Post 1158848)
I thought the negative on his eBay profile was rather funny:

"Poorly packed photo arrived creased. Sellers only action was to misspell 'soryy'"

That's hilarious!

teetwoohsix 07-16-2013 01:58 AM

Maybe the buyer could melt them all into one big ball of plastic, flips and all, and use it as a paper weight :D

On a serious note though- this would be a scam artist's dream. Bad idea.

Sincerely, Clayton