Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Factory Donruss Set Cards Double Cut? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=172869)

Crossfire 07-23-2013 04:47 PM

Factory Donruss Set Cards Double Cut?

I was on Ebay today and noted a well known dealer advertising a 1983 Donruss Factory Set by saying that Donruss double cut all factory set cards to assure sharp corners. I have noticed a wide variance in the height of Donruss cards and have gotten some back from Psa with min size problems ungraded. Does anyone know anything about this? Why buy Donruss factory sets if grading is going to be a problem?

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 07-23-2013 09:24 PM

I believe Donruss' factory set cards are a hair smaller than those issued through other formats (wax, rack, etc). Whether or not they were double cut I can't say.

lsutigers1973 07-24-2013 03:42 PM

If you are lucky enough to open some that still have sharp corners after being tightly wrapped in cellophane, many will come back as trimmed because they are just slightly smaller. No idea why but double cut sounds believable except for the reasoning. Wrapping them tightly in cellos defeats the purpose of cutting them short so they have sharp corners.

savedfrommyspokes 07-25-2013 06:25 PM

I have had this occur with some of my 82-84 Donruss sets....thought it was just me.

KuznKevin 07-25-2013 08:44 PM

Hello. Joined this week but am finding this place not too active. Hoping my reply year does not last as the current top 5 last posters for a day. Yes, embarrasing. sorry to bother. Is there a 'club' I should join to get any type of response, or just blow it off.

steve B 07-26-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KuznKevin (Post 1163032)
Hello. Joined this week but am finding this place not too active. Hoping my reply year does not last as the current top 5 last posters for a day. Yes, embarrasing. sorry to bother. Is there a 'club' I should join to get any type of response, or just blow it off.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for a response to?

I think the early 80's Donruss sets haven't really been studied much. So the answer that the 83 donruss from factory sets are cut smaller than normal isn't well known. I don't think I ever opened any of my factory sets.

I didn't know the earlier ones were cut small.

I did know that later 80's factory sets had the backs upside down compared to the cards from packs.

I'm not surprised the factory sets are different in some ways. Cutting twice doesn't make much sense, since it's a lot more work.

Maybe Donruss was die cutting the cards? If they were, and wanted a different corner or edge quality they might have trimmed them to remove the die cutting. I'd have to look at a few to see if they were die cut. That would be interesting. The first modern set I know was die cut was 88 Score.

Steve B