Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Game Used Forum- Pre-1980 (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Vintage game used bats & lathe marking question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=172899)

RelicSports 07-24-2013 10:14 AM

Vintage game used bats & lathe marking question

Good afternoon all!

I am new to game used bats and had a quick question to all you experts/well versed in regards vintage game bats. It seems that many of the older game bats have the circular outline/remnant of where the lathe was used (my apologies if I am not using Lathe properly) to turn/manufacture the bat, while some that I have looked at do not have this outline (but match up otherwise). Is the lack of the lathe outline cause to discredit game use? Why do some bats have the lathe outline and some do not. Is there an age/year where all lathe outlines cease? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

BigJJ 07-24-2013 12:55 PM

You do not need lathe remnants or a circular hole in order for a bat to be considered professional model. This is not a make it or break it. Evidence of hand turning may also be found in the lack of bottom of the knob markings (lack of - inch marks, company logo, trademark, etc.), in the brandings themselves, and elsewhere. I view lathe remnants as a positive though, as they are additional evidence of hand turning. so a lack of lathe marks does not hurt, but their presence can help, from my perspective. Lathe remnants are really a pre-1930 happening, there are examples thereafter, but a greater proportion of professional model bats had this attribute pre-1930, than post-1930. By the time of model numbers on the bottom of the knobs in the 1940s, a clean straight bottom was demanded. so really when I think of lathe remnants, it is mostly pre-1930.

RelicSports 07-24-2013 03:10 PM

This is just what I needed, thanks for the feedback BigJJ!!

UnVme7 07-24-2013 09:04 PM

If you have a question about a bat, feel free to post a pic before you buy it and we'll give you our opinions. Not me, but there are some very knowledgable game used people on here.

RelicSports 07-26-2013 12:56 PM

hornsby bat

4 Attachment(s)
I was looking at a promodel hornsby bat...but ended up missing out because my bid didnt go through in time. What are your thoughts...possible gamer? It was 33 7/8" long and 32 oz. It had to have been from 1934-37 if it was a gamer....

Did I dodge a bullet? Or did I just blow it...?

earlywynnfan 07-26-2013 01:07 PM

I can't read the stampings on the knob, but it's short and light for what he ordered, so it's probably just an index bat. Worth a few hundred, I'd say.

Ken

RelicSports 07-26-2013 01:28 PM

I couldnt read the knob either, but sure looks like something was stamped or etched in. If its likely a team index bat, that makes me feel much better, thanks for the feedback!!

MGHPro 07-26-2013 02:27 PM

Post career - made in 40s. H117 on knob

RelicSports 07-26-2013 02:39 PM

now that you say that, i can totally make it out on the knob, thanks Matt!