Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Online Authentics legit? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=173183)

isaac2004 07-29-2013 02:08 PM

Online Authentics legit?

3 Attachment(s)
I have came across the attached Michael Jordan autograph and been told by a few on the board that it is fake, however, it comes with a COA from Online Authentics.com, which after doing some searches, seems like a legit company. On that, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them (if they do UD style in-person authentication, or if they are a TPA that takes items and does comparisons)

Any info or possible opinion of this would be very helpful.

Thanks

GrayGhost 07-29-2013 02:44 PM

I'm no expert, but that looks horrible

isaac2004 07-29-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 1164352)
I'm no expert, but that looks horrible

Thanks man, I am more interested in why it was approved by Online Authentics since a few people have told me now its not even close

shelly 07-29-2013 03:09 PM

Online Authentics is one of the top houses in the industry. They have Koufax,Scully and used to have Ali. Call them with the sticker number.:)

Mr. Zipper 07-29-2013 03:12 PM

I thought OnlineAuthentics was a service that witnessed or conducted signings, but apparently not. :confused:

From their site below:

Registration #: OA-8187337
Item Signed By: Michael Jordan
Type of Item Signed: 8 x 10 Photograph
Type of Writing Device: Gold Paint Pen
Origin of Item: Physical Review
Date Item was Signed: Physical Review
Picture of Item: (matches)

Physical Review Service

OnlineAuthentics.com offers a Physical Review program that allows our users to submit items for physical examination by our Review Staff, a group of some of the most knowledgeable and experienced dealers and collectors in the industry.

Many collectors have large collections of signed sports memorabilia and we invite our users to send us items for our Review Staff to evaluate. Once our Review Staff determines an item meets our review parameters we will then issue a numbered letter outlining what the item is as well as our review of the item.

mr2686 07-29-2013 03:17 PM

Shelly, are you thinking of Internet Exclusives? They have both Scully and Koufax and have for a couple of years. Online Authentics, as far as I know, have or had both Greg Tucker and Doug Averitt as their authenticators. I purchased from Greg many times back in the 80's and early 90's, and I still purchase from Doug whom I believe at one time had every baseball HOF'er in his collection.

shelly 07-29-2013 04:08 PM

Yes, the company was started by Harlen Warner after that I am not sure what the have done. I know there reputation was above board. If they are just another authenticator you know what I think of that:mad:

Mr. Zipper 07-29-2013 04:21 PM

I have seen OnlineAuthentics stickers on a lot of Koufax and Ali items that appeared to be good. I think this is why I thought they did supervised signings. Maybe at one time they did?

RichardSimon 07-29-2013 05:04 PM

They are owned by Harlan Werner.
They did have Koufax under contract, I don't know for how long.
They also had Ali.

drcy 07-29-2013 05:18 PM

I suspect they did mostly in person signings and some TPA-like opinions. They had an autograph review board and you could send in your autograph for opinion. They were considered a legitimate company and had reputable people working for them.

I remember they authenticated the home run derby balls from the All-Star Game a few years back.

isaac2004 07-29-2013 05:47 PM

So it seems like they are pretty above board and reputable in the hobby. My question is, how did they authenticate this Jordan? There is also another Jordan item that was sold on ebay a few months back, exact same signature

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Jord...p2047675.l2557

So there are a few options

1. This Jordan is authentic (based on some, thats false)
2. Online Authentics has an example of a legitimate Jordan that looks like this signature
3. Online Authentics knowingly certified this item knowing it was not authentic

Pick your poison

drcy 07-29-2013 06:55 PM

Why would I pick poison? That's silly . . . Oh, I get it. One of your humanoid sayings.

I looked up the serial # and it said the Highland Mint photo was physically reviewed by Greg Tucker Autographs. Which I assume means it wasn't signed in person.

isaac2004 07-29-2013 06:57 PM

Still have the 3 options...

Noone is defended the autograph, so its not authentic... That means one of the other 2 is the case

thenavarro 07-29-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaac2004 (Post 1164452)
That means one of the other 2 is the case

No, it doesn't. Just means that you didn't present enough options.

You wrote:

"So there are a few options

1. This Jordan is authentic (based on some, thats false)
2. Online Authentics has an example of a legitimate Jordan that looks like this signature
3. Online Authentics knowingly certified this item knowing it was not authentic"

You left out options such as:

4. Online Authentics knowingly certified this item, but did not realize it was bogus
5. Online Authentics has/had an example of a bogus Jordan in their exemplar database that looks like this signature
6. Online Authentics took a guess and missed
7. An employee or consultant of OA authenticated their own stuff without ever really reviewing it

Or any number of other options.

In my opinion, the Jordan isn't authentic.

Mike

drcy 07-29-2013 08:56 PM

I have no idea how I even got in this class. I'm an electrical engineering major.

danc 07-30-2013 05:34 PM

Online Authentics is/was a part of Sports Placement Services that handled Ali, Jabbar, J. Brown, Koufax and Riggins and items with their stickers are legit. There were two parts to OA. The cursary review department, where a team of experts based opinions on scans for eBay in an attempt to curb fraud on the site starting roughly thirteen years (lol) ago AND a physical review department headed by Greg Tucker where items were mailed into the office and it was yeah, nay or no opinion which this was. Greg must have liked this piece.

DanC

HOFAUTOS 07-31-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1164368)
I thought OnlineAuthentics was a service that witnessed or conducted signings, but apparently not. :confused:

From their site below:

Registration #: OA-8187337
Item Signed By: Michael Jordan
Type of Item Signed: 8 x 10 Photograph
Type of Writing Device: Gold Paint Pen
Origin of Item: Physical Review
Date Item was Signed: Physical Review
Picture of Item: (matches)

Physical Review Service

OnlineAuthentics.com offers a Physical Review program that allows our users to submit items for physical examination by our Review Staff, a group of some of the most knowledgeable and experienced dealers and collectors in the industry.

Many collectors have large collections of signed sports memorabilia and we invite our users to send us items for our Review Staff to evaluate. Once our Review Staff determines an item meets our review parameters we will then issue a numbered letter outlining what the item is as well as our review of the item.

The photo in the OP is signed in silver...hmmm

Could just be an error occurred entering the item into the database