Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Antique Shop Find (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=173765)

aelefson 08-08-2013 04:16 PM

Antique Shop Find

5 Attachment(s)
Hi-
Over the weekend, I went to a few antique shops in Massachusetts as I do as often as possible. I found a golf program from 1946 for sale for 10.00. It was for the USGA amateur championship held at Baltusrol Golf Club in Springfield NJ. I do not normally check out golf items as I know very little about the sport other than big names and famous stories, but I decided to open this piece because I thought it might be worth 20.00 as a championship program.
Inside, I found the pin shown below when I flipped the first few pages. I also found a few other things tucked in there, and quickly decided that the group of items had to be worth at least 30.00. I purchased it and took it home.
I examined it more closely at home and found the pin to be very interesting (it is numbered and appears to be related to the tournament specifically). I also found a sheet with player pairings and times, so I now figured I had a fairly nice find for 10.00.
The last piece stuffed in the book was a dinner program held in 1947 by the MA golf association held in honor of the winner of the 46 match (Ted Johnson). This dinner also honored two others, Jesse Guilford and Francis Ouimet. Of course, the last page has autographs from all three right by (or on top of) their caricatures.
Two morals of this story. If you are a dealer, look at each item before you sell it, and if you are an antique buyer, check as much as possible because you never know what a seller will miss.

Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

RelicSports 08-08-2013 06:26 PM

Awesome find, congrats!

slidekellyslide 08-08-2013 08:12 PM

Nice score Alan! I'm sure you know this already, but there is a movie about Francis Ouimet called "The Greatest Game Ever Played" that is well worth watching. I would bet this also made his autograph much more desirable.

travrosty 08-08-2013 08:19 PM

funny the two guys signed on their forehead, but the biggest forehead went signed off to the side.

aelefson 08-08-2013 08:26 PM

Thanks guys! Dan, I do know about the movie and I think I also read a review about a book recently too. I also remember an extended radio report on his achievements on the NPR sports program.

Travis, they are odd. I wish Ouimet and Guilford signed above or below their caricatures but I really cannot complain.

Alan

Duluth Eskimo 08-08-2013 08:50 PM

1946 US Amateur program and pin

That is one hell of a score. Not sure if you are a golf collector or not, but if you are interested in some values they are as follows, give or take IMO.

Program: $300 in ExMt condition so adjust for condition
Button: I would value that at $50-100. I don't believe this is badge, rather a clubhouse entrance button. Still really nice.
Signatures: Ouimet $500, Guilford and Bishop less than $100 for both
Pairing Sheet: $25-50.

This is a great program as it has the looks of the earlier ones and it was the first Amateur after a few years off for WWII.

Bottom line, well worth your time and investment. Take care, Jason

aelefson 08-09-2013 08:55 PM

Thanks Jason! I really appreciate the information.
Alan

Exhibitman 08-10-2013 05:34 PM

Great score; love stories like this.

collectbaseball 08-18-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travrosty (Post 1168682)
funny the two guys signed on their forehead, but the biggest forehead went signed off to the side.

Frank Leahy (Notre Dame coach) loved to scribble all over his face... as a result most of his signed photos are extremely odd looking.

Alan, would you happen to have any suggestions on any decent antique shops in MA? Not that I wanna infringe on your territory...