Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Where do you all stand on gumstains? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=177975)

Brianruns10 10-29-2013 02:24 PM

Where do you all stand on gumstains?

I like this '52 Dick Gernert for my Topps set, but there are some minor gum stains on the reverse, at the right and left sides along the edge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-D...-/131027226558

Now normally I don't sweat the reverse so much...it's the front that I care about...color, centering, registration.

But considering the cost of these cards, I feel it is only common sense to also approach it with at least some mind given to the investment side of things...is this something I'll be able to resell if the need arises, and I can recoup my cost?

What have your experiences been? Are gumstains a dealbreaker, at least, when it comes to trying to sell? Can they hurt a card's premium value? Or does it depend on how severe they are?

Best,

BR

pepis 10-29-2013 03:27 PM

gum stains

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianruns10 (Post 1200591)
I like this '52 Dick Gernert for my Topps set, but there are some minor gum stains on the reverse, at the right and left sides along the edge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Topps-D...-/131027226558

Now normally I don't sweat the reverse so much...it's the front that I care about...color, centering, registration.

But considering the cost of these cards, I feel it is only common sense to also approach it with at least some mind given to the investment side of things…is this something I'll be able to resell if the need arises, and I can recoup my cost?

What have your experiences been? Are gumstains a dealbreaker, at least, when it comes to trying to sell? Can they hurt a card's premium value? Or does it depend on how severe they are?

Best,

BR

I think is proof of authenticity!

vintagetoppsguy 10-29-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianruns10 (Post 1200591)
Or does it depend on how severe they are?

^^^This^^^

Personally, that gum stain would not bother me.

Cardboard Junkie 10-29-2013 04:18 PM

Gum/wax stains on reverse never bothered me. Only deal brakers for me are trimmed cards, cards with paper loss, tack holes bug me too. I can handle soft corners, moderate creasing , and reverse stains. Nice 52! ps is that sgc flip in there cockeyed/tilted or what? Dave ( Dang, that hi #'s borders are beautiful white and cenered!!)

PM770 10-29-2013 04:32 PM

I know I might be crazy, but I think it adds to the character of a set if a few of the cards have gum/wax stains.

Then again, I'm not a "registry set" collector or even a collector of graded cards. I collect raw and prefer my sets that way.

Samsdaddy 10-29-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PM770 (Post 1200655)
I know I might be crazy, but I think it adds to the character of a set if a few of the cards have gum/wax stains.

Then again, I'm not a "registry set" collector or even a collector of graded cards. I collect raw and prefer my sets that way.

Not crazy at all. Totally agree with you that it adds character.

It never bothered me as a kid nor does it as a big kid.

And, like you, I am not a "registry set" collector either and have never purchased a graded card.

DaClyde 10-29-2013 06:13 PM

I find if you stand right on top of them, you can't see them at all, and its like you're standing on a perfectly good card!

KCRfan1 10-29-2013 06:43 PM

Is it a gum stain or wax stain? Not that it makes difference I guess. It's a nice card, and if you can get the card for a reasonable price I would buy it. If you need to resell you stand a better chance of recouping what you spent. If you pay the going rate for a 5.5, I believe you will have a hard time recovering what you spent. The current bid price seems low right now, and that ( I suspect ) is due to the staining on the back and keeping most bidders away. Could be the same situation if you buy the card, and have to resell down the road. Flaws keep serious bidders ( spenders ) away.

Bestdj777 10-29-2013 07:04 PM

For me, the more flaws the better. If you like the card and the price, buy it.

vintagebaseballcardguy 10-29-2013 07:40 PM

Those reverse gum stains wouldn't stop me... Nice card!

KCRfan1 10-29-2013 08:03 PM

$201. and change for a 5.5? Way too high ( over paid ) for me......

tribefan 10-29-2013 08:36 PM

I used to try to build an entire Topps set out of gum stained cards when I was a kid. Never finished one, I wonder where they are now?

Rickyy 10-30-2013 12:39 AM

Don't bother me either...I have many in my set collection.

That's a nice card!

Ricky Y

the 'stache 10-30-2013 01:32 AM

I agree that it adds a little character to the card, and wouldn't have any issue buying it. As far as resale goes, it's hard to say, as each individual is different. But based on the responses given in this thread, I don't think you'd have any issues trying to move it if need be.

Nice card.