Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Basic Card Grading Question (scans) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=178007)

JollyElm 10-29-2013 11:19 PM

A Basic Card Grading Question (scans)

2 Attachment(s)
The cards pictured here are post-war, but they're being used as simple examples so I can get some input. My question is equally pertinent to pre-war cards.

So here's my question. The two cards pictured are just basic commons, but for the sake of argument let's imagine they were rare or valuable.

The top card is what it should look like. Pretty bright, sharp colors and in relatively decent shape. Now, the bottom card has some color issues resulting from (most likely) problems with the magenta printing plate. It's missing a lot of ink in the areas meant to be dark pink and red. In hand it's very clear that it came out of the pack this way. In other words, it wasn't left out in the sun, causing it to fade. And just to be clear, the washed out problem areas didn't suffer from wear, they were printed that way. (The scan itself came across as overly light, as the black areas are darker than shown. Pretty similar to what the top card shows.)

How much of a hit would this card take in grading since it's severely faded, even though it came out of the pack like this? I'm not talking about other issues like centering and what not, just the blatant wrongness of the colors.

Thanks!

Attachment 119727

Attachment 119729

sbfinley 10-30-2013 12:47 AM

From my understanding, unless it is a true print defect "boldness" falls under eye appeal subjectivity which is just that: subjective. I think that the issue and the issue's propensity to provide cards with such a characteristic also play a part. Those, however, are just things I think and my history advisor keeps telling me to quit thinking and do more research so I'm probably wrong because I didn't do the proper research.:cool:

Personally if the lighter card was not off-center and pulled the same grade or better as the bolder one I'd still pay more for the bold card. Buy the card not the holder.

Edit: Probably should have read your whole post. If the card is missing a color run or had a printing plate issue which should fall under "print defect". PSA has a qualifier for such an occurrence.

glchen 10-30-2013 01:08 AM

I don't know if fading would matter that much b/c you see a lot of super faded OJ's that still get high grades from the TPGs.

the 'stache 10-30-2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glchen (Post 1200889)
I don't know if fading would matter that much b/c you see a lot of super faded OJ's that still get high grades from the TPGs.

I would agree with Gary. My gut tells me it wouldn't make a difference. If the two cards had identical centering, and the edges, surface and corner grades were the same, they should receive the same technical grades. Now, when it came to try and sell the cards, the one with better eye appeal would command more money.