Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1966 Sporting News Nolan Ryan...graded by PSA (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=179111)

h2oya311 11-21-2013 08:43 PM

1966 Sporting News Nolan Ryan...graded by PSA

Okay - I see at least three things wrong here:

http://www.gregbussineauauctions.com...ventoryid=8659

(1) since when did TPG's (PSA specifically) start grading paper cut-outs and passing them off as legitimate cards? The back doesn't even have anything to do with the HOF fire-baller.

(2) how can an AH (Greg Bussineau specifically) be okay with selling this crap?

(3) who in their right mind (someone did) bid $500+ on this card just because they either (a) need it for their PSA registry or (b) are too lazy to go buy a Sporting News issue and cut it out themselves?

Shockingly, there have been 5 of these graded (all Nolan Ryan, and all PSA 9).

I can't believe this is happening...it's bad enough that all those Reach guides were cut up and authenticated by illegitimate TPG's, but for PSA to stoop this low is beyond me. And the card is now a "required" card for the Master Nolan Ryan collectors out there. Gross!

HRBAKER 11-21-2013 08:54 PM

Shocking

Why are you surprised?

1. TPGs will eventually grade anything someone will stroke them a check for. Imagine what PSA is thinking if they can get player registry collectors to collect this crap.

2. Most auction houses will list anything they think someone will bid on.

ALR-bishop 11-21-2013 08:58 PM

Grading

This is all Doug's fault

h2oya311 11-21-2013 09:31 PM

Psa

I guess I'm not surprised...but it's very sneaky. I am not familiar with even one other example of a cut-out from a magazine or newspaper that is graded by PSA.

Perhaps I'm more disappointed than I am surprised. Not many things (baseball card related) surprise me any more.

bcbgcbrcb 11-22-2013 04:43 AM

Must be legitimate, someone actually placed a bid on it.......

David W 11-22-2013 06:03 AM

Obviously some newspaper "cards" were meant to be cut out, I have several Dayton Daily News "Bubblegumless Cards".

But these are different. These are merely pictures in newspapers or magazines.

To each his own, but there are hundreds of copies of that Sporting News still around I am sure, so there will eventually be a "10".

Eventually the TPG's know they will run out of cards to grade, so they have to venture elsewhere.

pawpawdiv9 11-23-2013 08:43 AM

:(...thats all that needs to be said
It is up to 625 i think now. I think it could go up to 750 by the holidays.

bcbgcbrcb 11-23-2013 12:18 PM

And to think that PSA won't grade real photo postcards, cabinet cards, etc. because they are not catalogued..............

D. Bergin 11-23-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1209195)
Why are you surprised?

1. TPGs will eventually grade anything someone will stroke them a check for. Imagine what PSA is thinking if they can get player registry collectors to collect this crap.

2. Most auction houses will list anything they think someone will bid on.

Yup, by making this leap, they've basically given themselves an unlimited number of new items to have slabbed. If it works, they will make a fortune, if it doesn't we still know there will be those who will send in hundreds of cut-outs in the hopes it will become popular with collectors. If it doesn't become popular, no skin off PSA's backs.

Those sitting on stacks of almost worthless "Sporting News" issues are probably salivating at the possibilities right now.

Almost can't blame the auction house if people are willing to pay for this. There's no way they don't know exactly what it is. PSA has decided there's a market for these, and people who allow PSA to make these decisions for them, will go right along with it.

David W 11-23-2013 02:14 PM

When I was a kid I would cut Sports IllustratedSport/Dell/other magazine pics out and paste them to cardboard to make my own home made cards.

I had dozens probably, now long thrown out.

I wonder if they would grade home made cards like that?

kimo75 11-23-2013 09:55 PM

That is absurd. I have also started to see 2 card Hostess Panels being graded by PSA. But I can't get even one of my NM/MT 1968 OPC Stargell's graded because of them being cut short from the factory!