Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Broadway Rick Kohl has passed away (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=179835)

HexsHeroes 12-06-2013 06:02 AM

Broadway Rick Kohl has passed away

I received notication from the employee handling his on-line auctions that Rick passed away unexpectedly over the past week.

I know that not all collectors have a great opinion of Rick but he had always treated me right. When I started collecting vintage baseball cards in the mid-1980's (after a long stint collecting vintage coins), I responded frequently to Broadway Rick's Strikezone advertisements in Sports Collectors Digest. There was never a hitch, and the cards were always accurately described and graded (IMHO). Even after I moved on to vintage baseball autographs in the mid-1990's, Rick would occassionally have an autograph on eBay that I pursued.

My condolences to his family, employees, and collectors who benefited from his years long service.

ullmandds 12-06-2013 06:32 AM

They're dropping like flies? MY condolences to his loved ones.

Rich Klein 12-06-2013 06:49 AM

RIP Rick

Anytime some one passes, someone is mourning. Condolonces to his family.

Rich

bigtrain 12-06-2013 07:51 AM

I also bought several items from Rick many years ago and never had any problem with him. My condolences to his family and friends.

Leon 12-06-2013 08:41 AM

I also had bought from him, off of ebay in the last few years, and had no issues. RIP Rick and condolences to his family and friends.

PowderedH2O 12-06-2013 08:58 AM

I dealt with Rick on a number of occasions when he was in Boynton Beach and he always was very friendly and honest with me. Very sorry to hear of this and my condolences to his family.

bigfanNY 12-06-2013 09:01 AM

My condolences to His Family and Friends. Talked basketball a few times with Rick and Purchased often from his auctions and always with a outstanding result. Sad day for many.
J

autograf 12-06-2013 09:18 AM

Bought from and sold to him a couple times over the years. Condolences to the family and friends.....

calvindog 12-06-2013 10:02 AM

Condolences, prayers, best wishes, etc. to his family and friends.

gnaz01 12-06-2013 10:38 AM

Have bought from him over the years, my condolences to his family.

tedzan 12-06-2013 10:59 AM

Rick Kohl

I first met Rick at the Willow Grove show in 1987. He was at the show to do some serious buying. My first impression of him of him was that he was a
"big" wheeler-dealer. He wanted to buy everything I had at my table.

Well, that didn't happen. But, in the years that followed we did do some nice deals. He certainly had the ability to acquire some very interesting stuff.

GOD Bless his soul....and, comfort his family.

TED Z

oldjudge 12-06-2013 11:38 AM

Rick was one of the first dealers I bought cards from. I never had an issue with him and I found him fun to deal with. My condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace Rick.

Rickyy 12-06-2013 01:27 PM

My condolences to Rick and his family, friends. I also dealt with him and he was great to work with...

Ricky Y

ibuysportsephemera 12-06-2013 01:35 PM

Sorry to hear that, my dealings with him over the years had been very favorable. He purchased something from my eBay store a few weeks ago and it was a very smooth transaction.

Condolences to his family.

Jeff

sports-rings 12-06-2013 01:35 PM

my condolences to Rick's family.

I liked Rick.

Kenny, the assistant at "We Buy Treasure" says they will be staying open and continuing to conduct business.

kengoldin 12-06-2013 01:59 PM

I am saddened by this news and my condolences to the family.
I dealt with Rick over 20 years ago, and then as I went into other areas of business hadn't spoken in 20 years (or more) until he called me 2 weeks ago congratulating me on the success of Goldin Auctions and said he wanted to start consigning. We received two very nice items from him last week. I am sorry to hear this news.
RIP Rick

forazzurri2axz 12-06-2013 02:07 PM

A comment about the comments

I am not being sarcastic or facetious , but why is it that so many people on this site can slam individuals from here to eternity , and there is often not even an objection on the part of the "lurkers" to individuals being slammed, but as soon as the villain passes away condolences, prayers, and sadness is the order of the day.
It may be the way I look at death, (or life) but it seems totally hypocritical on the part of so many people. I too understand that people who cared for the deceased are grieving but I don't grasp emotionally how individuals here can rail against someone ad nauseum and then post all these grief-stricken comments and condolences to their family......after all, most here don't even know the family!
How can one express all this condolence stuff after calling people liars, cheats, frauds, and all the other names used so often.....my own belief system is that if I REALLY felt that way about someone, I am glad he died and I can't even grasp how I would care one iota about him/her or his family.
peace to all Bill Latzko

ethicsprof 12-06-2013 02:24 PM

rick kohl

my condolences to his family and friends,

Barry

sago 12-06-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forazzurri2axz (Post 1214343)
I am glad he died and I can't even grasp how I would care one iota about him/her or his family.
peace to all Bill Latzko

I cannot grasp how someone can be glad that someone else has died. He may have cheated you, or whatever, and I can understand that someone could not care if it happened, but to take some implied measure of satisfaction that it happened is mind-numbing to me.

FTR, I am no way related to him, and my one transaction with him went flawlessly.

My condolences to his loved ones.

rhettyeakley 12-06-2013 05:50 PM

I too had never had a problem with anything I purchased from Rick but I always remembered that incident involving Monte Irvin so I certainly didn't go out of my way to deal with him. Regardless of what he did in life, anytime someone passes away and loved ones are left it is a day we should recognize the good that exists in everyone.

Fred 12-06-2013 06:12 PM

Wow Bill, that's pretty intense. I got hosed by BRSZ (I'm assuming this is the same Rick) in the past but that doesn't mean I wish he was dead.

At least you tell it like you see it. I'll never have to worry about wondering if what you say is how you feel when I see one of your posts - you just put it out there and call it like you see it! Sometimes that's refreshing, other times it's just a bit akward. No offense, really.

Death sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anybody except the butt head that outbid me on something I really wanted. Ok, I think I've crossed a line here because I've attempted to be humorous in a thread dedicated to someones passing, sorry if anybody's offended.

Fred 12-06-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhettyeakley (Post 1214434)
....Regardless of what he did in life, anytime someone passes away and loved ones are left it is a day we should recognize the good that exists in everyone.

+1

Well said.

Rich Klein 12-06-2013 06:44 PM

Here is a couple examples of why some people

Had various issues with Broadway Rick

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3078735/#.UqJ87q_naM8

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=64583

Regards
Rich

P.S. I never had any dealings with Rick, but heard plenty over the years. However, since he is gone and not able to defend himself, you give your condolonces to the family and move on

forazzurri2axz 12-06-2013 07:19 PM

clarification for those who misunderstood my post

I was IN NO WAY referring to Rick when I said I wish he died...I have had no personal knowledge or experience with his honety etc...I was saying that if someone cheated me , was a fraud liar etc I would wish they died and wouldn't care one bit about condolences for the family. I was objecting to all the condolences by so many people here on Net 54 when in the past so many here blasted him every time there was a post about him

I have been cheated terribly in the past by a few individuals and damn right , the world will be a better place when they die.

telling it like I see it
Bill

Exhibitman 12-07-2013 08:49 AM

Bill. I am in 100% agreement with you. The man was a crook: he shilled auctions [admittedly, once he got caught] and preyed on elderly HOFers. Did I wish him dead? No. But will I pretend I give a rat's @$$ about his death? No. I also do not plan to offer condolences if Bill Mastro gets shanked in the prison shower.

As for there being good in everyone, that is Pollyannaish nonsense. The prisons are full of human cockroaches who have been nothing but a plague on society and world history is replete with villains who should have been smothered in their cribs as babies.

nolemmings 12-07-2013 09:27 AM

I did not know the man personally, although I bought cards from him over the years, as recently as a month or so ago.

I know he caused offense and injury to others, as have we all. It seems likely he also did some good in this world, for some people anyway. If not, that makes me sad rather than angry.

I will not judge him, and had he cheated me, I would like to think I would have forgiven him, at least now. My condolences to those who mourn him, and may he rest in peace.

Ladder7 12-08-2013 04:10 AM

Isn't this the doosh that scammed away Monte Irvin's HOF plaque?.. I'm atheist, so unconcerned about goin to Hell or being slandered as I decompose :)

Exhibitman 12-08-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladder7 (Post 1214856)
Isn't this the doosh that scammed away Monte Irvin's HOF plaque?.. I'm atheist, so unconcerned about goin to Hell or being slandered as I decompose :)

Yes and ditto. Besides I'm not afraid of going to Hell; I've been married for 18 years. Hell would be like Club Med.

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...mkinison01.jpg

calvindog 12-08-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladder7 (Post 1214856)

Maybe Rick will get lucky and God doesn't hate fraudsters?

Leon 12-08-2013 08:22 AM

Tough crowd. If I ever pass away and the board is still going I can only imagine you guys going at me :). I personally have a philosophy that when someone passes away, unless they murdered or did egregious crimes (not petty thievery or other shenanigans) then I let them be and their petty sins go. But that is just me and obviously others feel differently. No one is perfect....and I am at the front of the not-perfect line .......:eek:

Peter_Spaeth 12-08-2013 08:35 AM

isn't the Eleventh Commandment Thou Shalt Not Shill Bid?

ullmandds 12-08-2013 09:05 AM

I agree w/Leon on this one.

Fred 12-08-2013 01:51 PM

Peter, we will never know what the 11th commandment is. Didn't you see the movie "History of the World"? It clearly indicates/shows that the world was not presented with commandments 11-15....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-WdAwVg9c

Sorry if anybody is offended by the post.... :p

gnaz01 12-08-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 1214992)
Peter, we will never know what the 11th commandment is. Didn't you see the movie "History of the World"? It clearly indicates/shows that the world was not presented with commandments 11-15....

One of my favorite scenes from that movie!!

Brian Van Horn 12-08-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Not in anyway related to Rick's passing, but I believe this historic video is the first evidence of the creation of fine print used by attorneys. Of course, that part of the video, showing an attorney reassembling the pieces of the 11th commandment, has since disappeared.

Rich Klein 12-08-2013 05:06 PM

not to bring politics into this

but there were some very interesting reactions from "Conservatives" in response to Nelson Mandela's passing. Here is Newt Gingrich reasoned reply to them. Please note, this is a parallel to why some people are not mourning Broadway Rick, and all I'm doing is pointing out a comparision. I liked Leon's post, and agree with him.

http://www.gingrichproductions.com/2...conservatives/

Regards
Rich

calvindog 12-08-2013 05:33 PM

Did Mandela shill his auctions too? I knew it.

Rich Klein 12-08-2013 05:43 PM

Jeff

I probably just gave you about an hours worth of phone calls from listeners for your next time on the air :)

Wildfireschulte 12-08-2013 08:32 PM

I remember seeing Rick at the large Chicago shows and the National. He was a super salesman with lots of lights and glitz. He always had one or two hot gals working his table - could have been wife or employee, but but speculation was always surrounding possible new girlfriend. We set up across the isle from Strike Zone at one National and had a great view the whole weekend.

Worth noting that VCBC subscribers rated Broadway Rick as the number #75 dealer of the 81 that were rated in Purdy's 2004 very unscientific survey (Barry Sloate was ranked #33) - which is sort of a testament to Rick tactics. Strike Zone was also at the bottom of the 1997 survey. Interesting to see that top auction house in both surveys was Bill Mastro - so much for surveys.

brianp-beme 12-08-2013 08:57 PM

Top Mark in my book

I find it more interesting that Mark MaCrae was at the top of the list, and would still be at the top of a similar list 17 years later.

My one transaction with Broadway was a very satisfactory one for me...a larger lot of Zeenuts with some incredibly nice surprises not advertised in the group. Rest in peace Rick, and for the rest of us, move along and do the right thing.

Brian

barrysloate 12-09-2013 04:06 AM

#33....whew, tough crowd.:)

Cardboard Junkie 12-09-2013 10:28 AM

I detest when politics and/or religion rear their ugly heads. Mods are quick to nip the political statements in the bud, I only wish they would stop people posting all the religious crap too.:eek:

Exhibitman 12-09-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1215155)
I find it more interesting that Mark MaCrae was at the top of the list, and would still be at the top of a similar list 17 years later.

Absolutely agree, Mark is one of the best dealers out there and a heck of a nice guy to boot! He's been a great help with our start-up SoCal show. Not to mention he sold me one of my holy grail cards:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...quDoul%202.jpg

Leon 12-09-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1215276)
I detest when politics and/or religion rear their ugly heads. Mods are quick to nip the political statements in the bud, I only wish they would stop people posting all the religious crap too.:eek:

As usual, what the he** are you talking about? I don't see any religious stuff going on but if someone mentioned God or something it's not the end of the world. There should be no mention of politics or religion on the board but if someone said something like "May God let him rest in peace"...then that is not going to be stopped. Get into a religious discussion and see how long it lasts...

And if it is because someone casually mentioned the 10 commandments, same thing....get over it.

Cardboard Junkie 12-09-2013 11:03 AM

May Satan and The Flying Spaghetti Monster bless you all. You see MY mythology is just as valid as anyone's.

Leon 12-09-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1215304)
May Satan and The Flying Spaghetti Monster bless you all. You see MY mythology is just as valid as anyone's.

You have a good point. However, I don't think we would want this place to become sterile? Members know not to debate politics or religion. thanks....

Fred 12-09-2013 04:17 PM

Maybe he just didn't see the video.....

Runscott 12-09-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1215304)

I didn't see any mythology posted, but I do see some nonsensical rubbish.

Back to the thread at hand. I am somewhere between Adam and Leon on this subject. I don't agree that Rick did some minor bad stuff that can be equated to what "we all do". No, we don't all do it. Yes, condolences to his family.

drcy 12-10-2013 11:41 AM

I thought the Mel Brooks video was funny. It was just a Jew poking a little fun at his own religion. I'm Norwegian-American and all good Norwegian families in the Midwest own a Norwegian joke book and laugh at themselves. "How do you sink a Swedish submarine? Give it a Norwegian crew." "How do you sink a Norwegian submarine? Knock on the door."

I thought some of the other comments could have been saved, since Rick just died. As they say, there is a time and a place. The other stories are available elsewhere, and I don't know what he was like away from the hobby. He may have been a fine fellow otherwise. I hope we all have lives apart from eBay. Which doesn't mean I think everyone is required to say fake glossy thoughts or nothing bad should have been mentioned. I never dealt with him, though am familiar with the stories, so have no personal comment other than RIP.

The ultimate in karma: Your Net54 thread after you die. Be good, ship quickly, volunteer at a food pantry.

Gary Dunaier 12-10-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

the world was not presented with commandments 11-15

Commandments 11-15 were only distributed as limited numbered refractor inserts in random hobby packs of 2013 Topps Update.

:eek: