Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Member Intro (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=181275)

dembums 01-06-2014 05:43 PM

New Member Intro

Hello gentlemen, let me start off by saying that I’m a “long time lurker - first time poster,” if such a thing exists, and if that does not make me sound sketchy enough I also obsess over small rectangular pieces of cardboard (preferably between the years of 1947 through 1957). Furthermore, I fixate over a team I never did, nor never will, watch play – the Brooklyn Dodgers.

I have not been much of a poster on forums, as I usually like to listen (or in this case read). However, there are times when I would like to add to the conversation so therefore a formal introduction is somewhat necessary.
I’m perhaps a bit of a paradox as a collector because I’m a set registry guy, but specialize in “collector” grade specimens. Why the set registry? Or better yet, how can I detach myself from the stigma associated with most set registry people? Well, in a nutshell, from moving to just collecting the 1955 Brooklyn Dodger roster (which is how I started sixteen years ago), to my first TPG card of Jackie Robinson (holy shit look at how good that is for a 5!), the set registry helped to guide and enhance my collecting focus. It also helped to broaden my horizon as a collector – it introduced me to Wilson Franks, Red Hearts and Old Gold, 1950 Drake’s and the elusive but affordable (which is an oxymoron in my opinion) - r423’s. Also, from a collector who started in the hobby alongside the advent of ebay, TPG’s gave a baseline of assurance that you knew what you were getting without having seen the card in person. I’m sure this will come off to some of you as Fanboyism, and in a way it is, but it’s the real McCoy. I do not deal with the high-end, where yes indeed, they do print money. I will not say I know the difference between an “8” or a “9” (or a 10 for that matter). I’m just proud of a set that I’ve been diligently working on for over ten years which is only 45% complete.

To me EXMT is the “goldilocks.” If you’re not anal on centering, and I know a lot of you guys are, excellent-mint cards can look pretty damn good. You can even find them centered too.

I find the net54 community a true asset to the hobby, and I’ve learned a great amount by lurking here over the years. I love this hobby and I love this site.

In earnest,

Ben A.

mrvster 01-06-2014 06:58 PM

Welcome Ben!

great to have you aboard......Dodgers rock....

try a t206 on for size some day:)

Peace

Johnny:D

the 'stache 01-06-2014 08:52 PM

Welcome to the forum, Ben!

You certainly could do worse than picking the Dodgers to collect. I'm a Braves/Brewers guy myself, as Milwaukee is my home town. But I love the history of the Trolley Dodgers. In fact, I just watched Brooklyn Dodgers: the Ghosts of Flatbush last night. I'm sure you've seen it, but on the off chance you have not, it's an HBO Sports production, and it is outstanding. It's perma-saved on my DVR, and a must see, in my opinion.

I look forward to seeing some of your collection.

Bill

the 'stache 01-06-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvster (Post 1224523)
great to have you aboard......Dodgers rock....

try a t206 on for size some day:)

Peace

Johnny:D

Yup yup, some really nice Superbas/Dodgers in the T206 set.

My favorite is the Nap Rucker portrait.

http://imageshack.us/a/img22/6508/56k5.png

dembums 01-06-2014 09:16 PM

thanks guys

Bill, I always liked your posts and you seem like a really good person, so thanks for the welcome. Need to upgrade my scanner, but I did get some really nice pickups this month. I'll post later in the post-war section.

Ben

the 'stache 01-06-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dembums (Post 1224618)
Bill, I always liked your posts and you seem like a really good person, so thanks for the welcome. Need to upgrade my scanner, but I did get some really nice pickups this month. I'll post later in the post-war section.

Ben

Why, thank you.

There are several Dodgers I want to add. Jackie, of course, Campy, Sandy Koufax, Pee Wee Reese (love the '53 Bowman Color Reese card), and Duke Snider just to get started. I almost bought a Carl Erskine last night, but I'm being good right now.

If I ever get my time machine fixed, we'll go catch a game or two at Ebbets Field. :p hot dogs are on me.

tjb1952tjb 01-06-2014 10:09 PM

Welcome

7 Attachment(s)
Welcome aboard. Good choice, Dodgers. Here is a Pee Wee Reese rookie and some '52 Bowmans................

ethicsprof 01-07-2014 11:15 AM

welcome aboard!
it's great to see a long time lurker become 'visibly' one of us!

all the best,
barry

g_vezina_c55 01-07-2014 12:13 PM

Welcome